Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED

Default On the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED

Feedback on using and installing this Mag led...

http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-300m-ex.html

How about the quality...durability...and how easy is it to install?

Default Re: On the TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX LED

I have one in my 4 D cell Maglite. There are some photos of it installed here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locoboy...7623355387676/

Note that the TLE-300M-EX is cheaper here at these two dealers:

http://www.aexpertsecurity.com/index.php?item=1105

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300m-ex.html

The drop in is simple to install. If you know how to change a stock Maglite bulb and if you can read and follow the simple Terralux instructions, it will be a piece of cake. It took me about 10 minutes total to make the conversion.

I did make one change to the standard Terralux installation though. I covered the top of the Maglite body tube and the flat portion of the head, both parts that the TLE-300M-EX rests against when installed properly, with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Then I screwed in the TLE-300m-EX. I added the Arctic Silver 5 to transfer the LEDs' heat to the aluminum flashlight body and head to keep them cooler. Poor heat dissipation is a known problem with these Terralux (and most other brands as well) Maglite drop-in upgrades. The Arctic Silver 5 works great and the top of my Maglite gets nice and warm, as it should during use.

I don't really know about the durability of the Terralux drop in because I have never beaten up my Maglite. I do like the quality of it though. It is built well and I have not had any problems with it. The beam pattern is strange though because it uses optics on the LEDs and not reflectors. The individual LEDs each project a square beam pattern due to the optics, just like what you see from an LED light with an aspheric lens. When you have three of those square beam patterns put together, then you get an unusual star shaped beam pattern with sharp points. It's really hard to describe.

I'm not much of a white wall hunter when it comes to flashlights, so the unusual beam pattern doesn't bother me at all. When I use the TLE-300M-EX outside, the beam pattern is perfectly fine. It does not have any spill though. It just has one extremely wide star shaped hot spot. It is very good at illuminating a very wide area with an extremely bright light. See Big Chelis' light measurements thread in the LED forum for lumens readings of my TLE-300M-EX. It is very bright, no doubt about that. It is noticeably brighter than my Fenix TK40.

My honest advice is don't buy the TLE-300M-EX if:

- You love looking at pretty beam patterns on white walls.

- You need to throw a beam of light a far distance.

- You don't know how to change a stock Maglite bulb and don't want to even attempt it.

If you do a search for Terralux, you'll find many other CPF reviews and opinions on the TLE-300M-EX, including my own.
    Last edited by Locoboy5150; 04-10-2010 at 12:10 PM.

I was thinking of buying this drop-inn but i think its now a bit outofdate because there are much better things out there. Such as tripple p7!

Thanks. I am rebuilding my trusty 4 D Mag. Several batteries popped and the acid cleaner I used to mop up the acid ruined the bezel. I need to replace that. But tell me, is there a way for this drop-in to be used with a 2 D?

You're welcome.

If you want to stick to using 2 D cell batteries in your Maglite then no, the TLE-300M-EX won't work. Two D cells just don't provide enough voltage for the three XR-E LEDs to light up properly.

You can buy an AA cell battery carrier for your 2 D cell Maglite though. The TLE-300M-EX needs 4 to 6 D cells to operate properly so any AA cell battery carrier that holds 4 to 6 AA batteries will work fine for your project. I'm not positive but I think that you can stuff up to 8 AA batteries in a 2 D cell Maglite body. All you'd have to do is buy AA dummy cells to bring the total number of AA batteries down to 6 and you're good to go with the TLE-300M-EX.

Several CPF members make AA battery carriers specifically for various sized D cell Maglites. Look around in this forum for their threads asking for buyers.

Flashaholic*

I running the TLE-300 in a 2D with 4 cr123's. Cut the tail spring,use some pvc or foam to keep the batteries from rattling and there you go. I have two 2D Mags like this.
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

Quote Originally Posted by houtex View Post
    I running the TLE-300 in a 2D with 4 cr123's. Cut the tail spring,use some pvc or foam to keep the batteries from rattling and there you go. I have two 2D Mags like this.
    or, run two 18650's with a sleeve and cut down the spring.

Bill

Flashaholic

i run one the older 600lumen 300m on 3 18500s with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Locoboy5150 View Post

My honest advice is don't buy the TLE-300M-EX if:

- You need to throw a beam of light a far distance.

Could you make an estimation for the useful distance ?How is the the flood at this distance?

Thank you, daf3m
    EDC: FENIX TK11 R2 & PD32 as a backup along with PD20+Fenix headband as EDC headlamp.

Quote Originally Posted by daf3m View Post
    Could you make an estimation for the useful distance ?How is the the flood at this distance?
    Hmmmm...the best that I can do is take some rough measurements off of Google Earth when looking down at the nearby park where I test most of my lights at night.

Distance: 450 feet.

Beam width at 450 feet: 120 feet.

Please keep mind that these are approximations based on the distance to a line of trees on top of a hill in the park that I use as targets so I cannot guarantee the above numbers.

Hmm ,quite interesting..that makes us ~135 meters / ~36meters !Not bad at all :-)
    Thank you
    EDC: FENIX TK11 R2 & PD32 as a backup along with PD20+Fenix headband as EDC headlamp.

Flashaholic*

I like the way you can just put one in a Mag and go.
    They look OK too.
    I don't like the zero satisfaction factor that anyone can fit one.

I had one of the older TLE300 - 600 L. I preferred a P7 at the time.
    Advantage was I could use different reflectors with the P7.
    The P7 seemed obviously brighter at 2.8A. The TLE drew about 2A , but with 2 cells so that seemed obviously inefficient.

I was not impressed with the heat management (or lack of) of the TLE either.

So overall a fairly low score from me. (Old version remember...)

Quote Originally Posted by Chodes View Post
    I was not impressed with the heat management (or lack of) of the TLE either.
    Arctic Silver 5 works wonders for the heat dissipation of the TLE-300M-EX or at least it does with my two.

Can you upload some pictures of were you put your thermal paste for me please? I've ordered a TLE-300m EX and don't know were to put the thermal paste or where to buy it from, Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleMods View Post
    Can you upload some pictures of were you put your thermal paste for me please? I've ordered a TLE-300m EX and don't know were to put the thermal paste or where to buy it from, Please help.
    I already replied to your original thread and sent you a PM, I don't know how much more detailed my instructions can be. The way these dropins are assembled combined with themal paste applied makes it a hassle to dissasemble just to take pictures.

As for purchasing thermal paste, pretty much any computer store that sells parts/components will sell thermal paste.

I just ordered one of these Terralux TLE300s. I should have checked here first... Now I am thinking I need something brighter and I didn't even get this in the mail yet, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    I just ordered one of these Terralux TLE300s. I should have checked here first... Now I am thinking I need something brighter and I didn't even get this in the mail yet, lol.
    600 lumens packed into a single spot is quite bright, enough so that you can't really use it indoors. Once you get your TLE300, wait until night time to try it outdoors, you'll find it's pretty much a handheld car headlight..

Uses Cree XRE's... gad, how do you define outdated??

I become a lot less interested in the newness of a light design once it passes a certain dollar-per-lumen threshold..

I'm really on the fence right now in regards to buying one of these for my 6D cell maglite. A popular retailer just dropped the price considerably, but I'm skeptical on how well one of these might run on normal alkalines. I'm not going to go out and buy a Nimh charger with 6 expensive Nimh D cell batteries just to run a $55 drop in.

Another member advised me that his actually run's well on 4 D cell alkaline, if that's the case then I can only imagine that 6D cells would run even better. I don't know, I have to give this some thought.....
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

We have three in the family. 2 single mode and 1 of the 3 mode. if you can get it at a reduced price I say go for it. I did have one in a 6D at one time and it was bright. I'm not too crazy about akalines either but if you use it enough you shouldn't have to worry much about sitting,leaking batteries.
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

Enlightened

I know the working voltage of this drop in is stated to be between 6v-12v.

I'm planning on using 3 rechargable 3.7 batts.

Off the charger V should be about 12.6 (4.2 X 3) for all three.

Do you guys think this is too much voltage even for a short period ?

I've been emailing back and forth with Terralux about updates on the dinosaur LED's in this thing. They are supposed to release an XP-G module in October. Driven at 1A each.

Rich

Enlightened

Ok,

So i am now running 3 of the Novae 5500Mah 3.7 32650 D sized lithiums in a 3D mag with a short tube extension from J Hernandez with a Terralux 300m-ex.

All seems to beworking fine. At full charge, 12.6v, after 1 min of run time the tailcap draw is 1.20amps on high, .50amps on med, and .06amps on low. Shoud be some decent runtimes.

I know it's a big light, but it stays in the car and comes out to light things up when necessary.
    Last edited by needforspeed; 09-14-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Don't use li-ions if you store the light in your car; the extreme heat and/or cold the interior of your car experiences on a regular basis is sufficient to permanently damage li-ion cells. Lithium primaries only in a car light.

Enlightened

point taken, ligts will be moved around a bit. thank you

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by richpalm View Post
    I've been emailing back and forth with Terralux about updates on the dinosaur LED's in this thing. They are supposed to release an XP-G module in October. Driven at 1A each.

Rich
    Have you heard any more on an actuall date for this? Or when it might hit UK retailers? Want to get it for my 4D as it's the only drop-in I can get for a reasonable price, and seem to offer the most power for the money and the light I already have! But don't want to buy one now if
    1) They are releasing a much better one at the same price soon
    OR
    2) The price of the current model is going to drop significantly!

Would get a malkoff dropin, but it would cost >$100 (>£65) to get it to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by abbotsmike View Post
    Have you heard any more on an actuall date for this? Or when it might hit UK retailers? Want to get it for my 4D as it's the only drop-in I can get for a reasonable price, and seem to offer the most power for the money and the light I already have! But don't want to buy one now if
    1) They are releasing a much better one at the same price soon
    OR
    2) The price of the current model is going to drop significantly!

Would get a malkoff dropin, but it would cost >$100 (>£65) to get it to the UK
    No-couldn't get a date out of them.

I just emailed terralux and they are coming out with a replacement called the 310m-ex. Here was the reply:

"Estimate shipping to our retailers is currently late November, so it should be available in about a month. It’s a pretty cool module- you can select either multi-mode functionality or single mode functionality via a dip switch on the side of the unit.

If your MagCharger® has the new multi-function switch, put the 310 in single mode, and let the Mag switch take care of all your mode needs. Or, if your Mag has an older standard on/off switch, you can opt for either single mode or a multi-mode (hi/med/lo) function by moving the dip switch on the module. Quite literally the best of both worlds. Output goes to >1,000 lumens as well. I think the light pattern is improved over the 300 module, too. Smoother."

Here is the website:

http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tle-310-m-ex/

Enlightened

I hope they keep the wide voltage spread.

I look forward to getting one to see if it actually puts out that kind of light.