Resting after discharge?

jwp721

Newly Enlightened
First post here but have read way too much on the MAHA C9000 already. This site is certainly the place for info! LOL

Got my MAHA yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out. Did a discharge on the 2100 NEXCELL ENERGYON ULTRA-LOW NIMH batteries that I bought from Thomas Distributing (thought they were Eneloops for some reason) and then immediately afterwards I started the break in. Now I wonder if I should have let them rest for 1 hour before starting the break in?

12 hours into the break in and want to buy more batteries to recharge already! :)

Thanks,

John

Russel

Enlightened
Welcome to the addiction John!

I don't think it will really make any difference if you start the break in process right after discharging the batteries. The charger will "rest" the batteries for 2 hours between charging and discharging functions, so I wouldn't be concerned.

If you get a chance, post the numbers you get from your C9000 after breaking in the Nexcells.

jwp721

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reassurance.... Will post the numbers after the break in is complete.

John

InHisName

Enlightened
I am curious how your tests turn out.

I bought some last summer.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231032

For details on C9000 tests on AAAs

I have been using them in Uniden TR620-2 FRS radio set (walkie-talkie). Radios are 'on' for 10.5 hours a day. NexCells last 4 days when the low batt signal starts up. I then put them into charge and they take in 650-690MAh. I recently tested one cell and it came to 649. It measured 776 when new. At 649MAh and 42 hours, current drain is about 15.45ma. These cells have been charged approx once a week since July 09. Approx 40x. Of 16 cells, 12 have been exclusively used in these radios. 4 of them are now starting to test HIGH sometimes in my C9000. The reading is 2.07 area for those marginal ones. The better ones read 1.93

To contrast with my Duraloops, which I bouth and placed into service in Oct 09. 12 cells started out at 825MAh, now 725Mah. Started at 1.56 now 1.69. The Duraloops were used exclusively with a Motorola FV-300 FRS radios (walkie-talkie). These run10.5 hours per day for 3 days. 725MAh 31.5 hours = 23ma still low current drain. I recharge these slightly more that once a week average. I have probably recharged these approx 30x.

I bought the NexCells for 8 for $13 incl shipping. I thought I got quite a bargain. Still do.

I stumbled into the Target sale on Duraloops and that was MORE fantastic! 4 for 6.84 with taxes.

Two NexCells, I abused by mixing them with the original NiMH that came with 2 Dect phones I have. I threw out the 2 worst cells and added the NexCells and in 6 weeks the NexCells were going bad too. [The orig NiMH cells lasted 29 months on continous charge!] Probably mixing a new cell with a poor (crap) cell spoiled the new one really fast. Since then I bought 4 Ray-O-Vac 4.0 and the Dect phone are going strong 3 months later. NOT mixing with old cells this time!. Cost 4@$5.50

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reason for the rest is in case your discharging / charging at higher currents. The battery could get very warm. The rest gives the battery a chance to cool and gives the chemicals a chance to settle down before switching directions.

Bill

Last edited: