Protection Circuit Died On My 14500 Lion

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Well I thought battery needed recharging, but it would not charge in the UF-139, light stayed green. After I removed the plastic wrapping and the protection circuit from the trustfire lion(along with the thin metal strip that runs lengthwise) and measured it with my Fluke it still had juice.

Just tried it in the light and it works even without the tailcap on. My question is, if I tape the body with electrical tape, will it work normally and safely(yes, I am aware of charging/discharging it properly as an unprotected lion), or should I just dispose of it?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
watch me evade this one :)
it will work as good as an unprotected 14500, in the same shape it is in, after you get insulation on that would adequately insulate.
vinyl electrical tape can come off easy, a good clear thick plastic packaging tape , or thin one wrapped 2x, just depends on how much space you got in what your shoving it into. just Wide single tape fits and wont move around.

if the protection failed or doesnt charge because of the protection, myself i would still test it for capacity and charge and all after ripping the protection off.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Thanks vidpro. This particular DX battery had been the worst at keeping a charge, I had marked it w/ a sharpie to compare to my others. When I tested it, it was 3.2V right were it should be. I think I killed the protection by clicking the light on/off a few times after the protection kicked in or maybe it's cheap dx time was up.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
had been the worst at keeping a charge

another clue, its junk, now i go with disposal, , , , unless the protection was drawing it down, which is possible that damaged or charred protection could drain the cell.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Yeah, that may be safest bet, I'll buy some AW's next, getting a little frustrated with some of DX's products.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
many of my 145s didnt last long times, i think the longest was the shortest :) a 144?? that i got out of some brand name pack thing, i forget the packs model number, but those lasted longer.