Cree does it again-160 lumens per watt @350 mA

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They just won't let up.:D

"Cree... announces a breakthrough new lighting-class LED platform, the XLamp® XM LED. This new single chip LED delivers record-breaking efficacy of 160 lumens per watt at 350 mA. The LED also delivers 750 lumens at 2 A, which is equivalent to the light output of a 60 W incandescent light bulb at less than 7 watts."

The important part for us is that this is a single chip device. I'm sure it will be larger still than the XP-G but that hasn't stopped the adoption of Luminus LEDs. Not available till Fall 2010 but at least we can trust Cree to actually do what they say. Nice to see something that will be purchasable instead of just lab results. :party:

spencer

Enlightened
Dang. This is very nice. And it will be available this fall!

EDIT: Anyone wanna guess the die size? 4mm^2?

Last edited:

camelNotation

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping the die size will be 2mm^2, like the XP-G. Given that the thermal resistance of the package is so low, such a small die may be reasonable. (Tell me if I'm dreaming.)

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! Perhaps now there can be department store bulbs with a lamp efficiency north of 100 lumens per what instead of those current LED ones that are 20-40 l/w. :laughing:

Burgess

Flashaholic
What ? ? ?

Nobody has yet demanded

A Neutral-White version ? ! ? ! ?

:p

PS: Thank you to Saabluster, for keeping us informed.
_

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will be 2.45x2.45mm. I hope it will be smaller than that but unless they do more on the thermal front than they have been doing with the recent LEDs it probably will be big to get numbers like that. I really wish they would come out with an LED that is mounted on a chuck of SiC like the XR-E. It would benefit the small pocket projector as well as flashlight markets. Sure the price would be higher but it sure would be nice to be able to overdrive these newer dice like we can the old XR-E. We need more development on the surface brightness front!:scowl: That has been completely ignored. Oh well.:shrug:

WeLight

Enlightened
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will be 2.45x2.45mm. I hope it will be smaller than that but unless they do more on the thermal front than they have been doing with the recent LEDs it probably will be big to get numbers like that. I really wish they would come out with an LED that is mounted on a chuck of SiC like the XR-E. It would benefit the small pocket projector as well as flashlight markets. Sure the price would be higher but it sure would be nice to be able to overdrive these newer dice like we can the old XR-E. We need more development on the surface brightness front!:scowl: That has been completely ignored. Oh well.:shrug:

Sorry guys try 5mm square

mds82

Enlightened
Is this fact? If it is then its slightly disappointing because it's pretty much the same package as the SST-50.

All of you are just guessing at this point. how about we wait for some real answers before we start making assumptions.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are any LED flashlights run at 2 amps??
Many. I have like 6 that are +2A. Lots of modders have +5A torches in hand.

So Cree increased the die size to help increase lumen output.

Question - Why is drive voltage not meantioned?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I was initially curious about this as well.
I know I'm only a part-timer / lightweight in this section, but running the numbers from the article:
"At 2 A, an XM LED produces 750 lumens at 110 lumens per watt."
750/110 = 6.8 watts
6.8w / 2A = 3.41 volts
... which sounds about right.

Last edited:

brted

Enlightened
Many. I have like 6 that are +2A. Lots of modders have +5A torches in hand.

So Cree increased the die size to help increase lumen output.

Aren't they implying 2.9V at 350mA and 3.4V at 2A?

160 lumens output at 160 lumens per watt (1 watt) at 350mA

750 lumens at 110 lumens per watt (6.8 watts) at 2 amps.

Latest posts