• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SR specs changed?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Ok, I know delays happen. I have grown used to them. I noticed that the new ad for PEAK is being displayed and I clicked on it only to find...four SR models now instead of two. Now, normally this would be cause for great joy: more lights! However, I have noticed that the "expectd release date" has changed every time the old one draws near, now only to find all of the specs have been changed, even the SR2000 which was one of the old "soon to be released" models.

None of the new ones seem to have any resemblance to the old specs. So the new question is, when will these ever come out? Maybe a few photos of prototypes would keep at least a little interest. My interest, previously held by the stated lumen figures :drool:, is now starting to fade as I am getting the feeling these may never get here, especially if they keep getting changed. Actually, the SR 2000 now has much less appeal now that it will be a whole M cell longer with a head now 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter than the previous specs... What happened to the old model???

easilyled

Flashaholic
Ok, I know delays happen. I have grown used to them. I noticed that the new ad for PEAK is being displayed and I clicked on it only to find...four SR models now instead of two. Now, normally this would be cause for great joy: more lights! However, I have noticed that the "expectd release date" has changed every time the old one draws near, now only to find all of the specs have been changed, even the SR2000 which was one of the old "soon to be released" models.

None of the new ones seem to have any resemblance to the old specs. So the new question is, when will these ever come out? Maybe a few photos of prototypes would keep at least a little interest. My interest, previously held by the stated lumen figures :drool:, is now starting to fade as I am getting the feeling these may never get here, especially if they keep getting changed. Actually, the SR 2000 now has much less appeal now that it will be a whole M cell longer with a head now 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter than the previous specs... What happened to the old model???

I think that every manufacturer who has announced a light involving the SST-90 emitter/star has found that once they start to design it with the aim of driving it to produce around 2000 lumens, that it is far more complicated than they first imagined.

The Olight SR90 is the huge size it is for a good reason. If you're pushing 2000+ lumens out of a single-die led, you really do need a massive amount of thermal mass to heat-sink it and a massive space to store the amount of batteries that you will need to provide it with a run-time of an hour whilst maintaining these high lumens.

Other manufacturers are trying to design smaller lights than the Olight whilst still pumping out 2000+ lumens and they are finding its simply not possible.

Just my .02 cents.

Curt R

Enlightened
The original design was for a light using 3 Seoul P7 LEDs. We are now going to offer two lights using a
58 mm reflector, one with a Cree xpg and another with the Luminus SST-50. An 83 mm reflector
light with the Luminus SST-90 and a 109 mm reflector using the Luminus CSM-360. The LED must be
married with the proper optic. That is where all designs start from. Then we go to heat sink, electronics,
battery, mechanical design, fundamentally in that order. Optics are the only real problem and once
that has been resolved everything else in the design process is relatively simple.

Curt

bkumanski

Enlightened
The original design was for a light using 3 Seoul P7 LEDs. We are now going to offer two lights using a
58 mm reflector, one with a Cree xpg and another with the Luminus SST-50. An 83 mm reflector
light with the Luminus SST-90 and a 109 mm reflector using the Luminus CSM-360. The LED must be
married with the proper optic. That is where all designs start from. Then we go to heat sink, electronics,
battery, mechanical design, fundamentally in that order. Optics are the only real problem and once
that has been resolved everything else in the design process is relatively simple.

Curt

I appreciate the reply. I was not referring to the 3 P7 model but this one:
SEARCH & RESCUE: SR 2000 LAW ENFORCEMENT SPECIAL:
The Search & Rescue SR2000 is a full sized high performance 1800 plus Lumen output single LED flashlight. It is available in a single output, (S) or an adjustable output, (A) version. The Search & Rescue SR 2000 uses the latest ultra high performance LED and electronics to be the most powerful light for its size currently on the market. The light output power of two automotive headlamps in the palm of your hand.
The Search & Rescue SR2000 uses a single Luminus SST-90 LED with a current limiting electronics that operates from a single special high capacity 3.3 volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery is easily replaced with a fresh one when exhausted. Run time with a full charge is just over 1-1/2 hours at maximum output. The head diameter is 2-1/2 inches and includes a power on/off tactical switch and a control knob with the adjustable output version. On the side opposite of the power switch is a 5/16 tapped hole for mounting the light head to a bracket or light stand. The battery compartment diameter is 1-3/4 inches with an overall flashlight length of 11 inches. About the same size as a popular 60 to 90 Lumen 3 "D" cell incandescent flashlight.

This was along with a cad image with the optic of the sst50, and only 1 M battery. Why the change to the 2 cell? Also, the sst50 head size seems the ideal size. It didn't work well with the SST90 (just curious because I have an sst90 mag build with a mag reflector which throws decent)?