Olympia Products
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri-V Information

Default Re: Tri-V Information

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a beauty of a light!!!!!

Dave....congratulations for bringing such an amazing light to life!

Can't wait to hold one in my own hands!!!

RIDE

I am sure one of the beta men (was going to say boys but if ever there was a mans light this is it) can answer this, how trickey will it be to fit trits and could you actualy see them?

Mike
    You don't win friends with salad!

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Great question. Just as it was with the 007, it is with the Tri-V as well, if the battery can not handle what is being asked of it, the calibration will fail. In that case you simply observe that the calibration failed and either retry with more powerful batteries or you reduce the current you are asking for.

But there is more to this situation. The big question for the Tri-V is what can a normal medium capacity primary battery handle? It depends on the particular scenario and the Vf of all the emitters.

Consider the case where all three emitters are enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 3000mA. This will fail calibration unless you have rechargeable batteries in the light.

Consider the case where the spot emitter is enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 2000mA. This will fail calibration unless you have rechargeable batteries in the light. At 1500mA this will work with primary batteries.

Consider the case where the flood emitter is enabled and the user sets the current at the maximum 2000mA. This will work with fairly strong primary batteries. Because the Vf of the MC-E is lower than the XR-E and not because it is a newer emitter either, it is because the MC-E has four XR-E die in parallel!

I do not know yet what the limits of all the various combinations are. That is one of the questions we need to answer.

Cheers
    Dave
    The chance of battery damage due to overdrain when running 3 emitters together can be quite high. I think it is recommended that custom high setting must be calibrated to the batteries you are using, is best to recalibrate when changing the brand of battery use.

The design of the light reminds me of energizer's double barrel flash light, maybe Dave can make battery extension casing for the Tri-V, putting 4 or 6 x CR123 in parallel will extend the runtime and make it really cool !
    Think about it... a 2 stage light is all you need.

I expect this light is and will remain the absolute pinnacle of flash-light making for a long time to come.

How much is the absolute pinnacle of watch-making ? A Patek Philippe complication at £100,000 maybe ?

Arguably its more important to be able to see than it is to tell the time :-)

I see one READILLY ACCESSIBLE spot for a trit and one spot that might be accessible although the second spot is partially obscured by the knob and partially so by the reflector head assembly holding the XP-G. I'm sure Dave could answer this one better than I but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that one trit could be user-installed and the second one, better left to the builder himself prior to final assembly....Dave....?

I'd like to address a comment which seems to have been taken as a slur undermining the otherwise positive direction of this thread. I don't want to be taken negatively by my understanding of what was stated nor do I believe is there a need to speak for an individual who enjoys the respect and admiration of most on the forums. In fact, the Tri-V represents the pinnacle of "flashlight" development in the world. This is simply, an amazing light from all possible aspects of review. Forgive me for saying this (or don't!) but, drawing a comparison of this lighting device to a single automobile would be a terrible injustice. The Tri-V presents us with the performance of a Ferrari, a Hummer and a fuel sipping hybrid all rolled into one hard-to-be believed light. As a result, it commands the price one would expect of the very best--for the level of extreme performance as well as ultimate flexibility.

Now, from a expenditure perspective, I'm a pretty conservative guy. I don't own a multi-million dollar home, don't drive a Ferrari (or even a BMW for that matter!), don't travel on African safaris every other week and don't wear Italian hand-made suits. I do however, give some serious monetary attention to what I purchase in terms of flashlights. I have some of the best and I guess that gives me some sense of pride that I do have a nice collection of lights and am thankful I have the ability to have that ownership. The Tri-V is my most expensive light to date. Many would say those who have had the ability to purchase this light (and who will purchase this light in the future) have gone overboard in doing so. Clearly I don't feel so. This is, as I said, the best of the best. It is not a mass-produced VW Jetta (one copy of which is sitting in my driveway) but a hand assembled state of the art device. It certainly isn't for everyone and was never intended to be so. It won't be owned exclusively by CPF members but primarilly so I would imagine--or at least those who desire the best of lights available today. The Tri-V isn't a VolksWagen (a car designed for the masses) nor a VolksLumen (forgive my car analogy). As such, those who do purchase one will find themselves in the position of being part of an elite group--in the world of flashlight afficianados.

Bart may very well be right in saying that "many" won't be sold outside of the CPF membership...and then again, maybe he is wrong... I do know that Dave told me he has aged considerably with the design of these incredible lights and is now growing older as I speak in the building of them. I see a very limited production in the future and count my lucky stars (and Dave's good will) in having a Tri-V sitting in front of me.

As an aside, I did not use ("test"?) my Tri-V outside last night in view of the heavy rainfall we experienced and found the weather to be equally as inclement when I got up at 4 to give it a whirl--lighting up raindrops isn't my idea of testing. It's clearing so tonight may be more promising....

Karl

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by B@rt View Post
    In that case I doubt you will sell many outside CPF...
    But it is such a beautiful piece, even if most of us may not be able to afford it... to use a motoring analogy, imagine a Ferrari that could do 180mph, had 4WD that could outperform a Humvee in the mud and also outshoot an Abrams tank... like me, just sit back and ADMIRE it!!
    Resistance is futile...

Well I was able to use the light a little last night in my yard. However I did not have enough room to use the asherical, to many houses and trees in the way. It has power. I was also able to ajust the settings. It took a little while to get use to, but then it became simple. I just set it back to factory and I'll make ajustments and save them.

I have always liked a flood type light, but never had that much use for one. I need more throw for work. Now that the Tri-V is in my possession have have the world by the balls. The Tri-V has everything. I need another I'll make my first attempt in beam shots sometime after Sunday. 12 hours work days just get in the way of having fun.
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

When I first read Data's musings about the concept of the Tri-V before he had any firm convictions about producing it, I thought that it sounded in the realm of pure fantasy.

To see it actually realized and in such a compact and sleek format is truly amazing.

How can any flashaholic not admire this light which must be the ultimate challenge to produce in terms of both electronic and machining complexity?

It is a triumph of human endeavor and achievement in this closed little world of ours.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Sorry for detracting the thread, but I have to say. If I had a spare $2,000 I'd grab it. Every PhotonFest I play with the TriV until Data demands it back. I cannot put that little light down. It feels great in the hand and changing from high to low to flood to spot is so easy.

It is marvelously ingenious; a toy, a tool and a work of art.
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

Just a thought on the programming.
    How hard would it be to put in a "show off mode"? ie have TWO pre programmed settings, one for Primaries & one for Rechargeables, that ramp the setting to max.
    I would think similar to the battery saving mode on the 007. Say 5 quick on & offs and it's in Show off mode. then 5 again to return to last settings.
    Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    How hard would it be to put in a "show off mode"? ie have TWO pre programmed settings, one for Primaries & one for Rechargeables, that ramp the setting to max.
    I would think similar to the battery saving mode on the 007. Say 5 quick on & offs and it's in Show off mode. then 5 again to return to last settings.
    Just an idea

LaunchMini ...Great idea...

I'm trying hard to raise the $ for this masterpiece
    I've sold a few of my mokume skulls with trits for eyes

I was also wondering about trit placement for the Tri-V

there are Ti button covers with Trit slots in available

but I also make mokume skulls with a trit in it
    there is a thread here with pics from a happy customers button cover

I gotta do something to raise funds for a Tri-V

apart from Trits I think a car alarm with tracker and immobiliser wouldn't be overkill...although I don't think anyone would set a Tri-V down and leave it out of sight

waiting for beamshots

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    Just an idea
    You are talking to the guy that put into previous flashlights; adjustable strobe, beacon, locater, battery monitor, a cypher puzzle based on the digits of pi and a simulated candle flame complete with flickering. I want to put in more things like that in the Tri-V but there is no memory left. Well, there is memory left but not enough for a disco mode and a UI to get there. That stuff eats memory like you would not believe. Sorry.

Wayne told me that some day they may offer a larger memory version of our micro processor but it has not happened.

The memory that is left is enough for all the changes and additions to the UI and also some new easter egg but only if a idea is small.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 04-17-2010 at 11:33 AM.

The Tri-V uses the 007 body. So there are two tritium slots in the body but the Tri-V head covers one of them up. The other slot is still open and viewable as it was on the 007.

I have 2K in cash hidden in my closet for the day. Data, I hope you will accept money orders! I want this light un-traceable to my wife. She will flip if she finds out! I mistakingly told her about the 007 I bought. Needless to say she went shopping the next day!

Str Re: Tri-V Information

My my, aren't we scared a joke might be taken the wrong way...

Is it so strange to think the huge price diff between msrp and the CPF price was meant to be funny?
    Given the fact it's a pretty special light and not much is likely to be known about it outside the CPF community, and the following assumption that probably all potential buyers are a member already added with the fact membership is free made it very likely to me it was just a joke.
    BART

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Milton View Post
    I have 2K in cash hidden in my closet for the day. Data, I hope you will accept money orders! I want this light un-traceable to my wife. She will flip if she finds out! I mistakingly told her about the 007 I bought. Needless to say she went shopping the next day!

I can totally relate. Whenever I buy toys like this, I have to double the price.

Dave, If I just happen to PREPAYPAL you 4 amounts of $500 each, it won't be as noticeable in our account, would that earn me any brownie points??

All my respect for this masterpiece. Just three questions.

Is ist to some extent watertight? I know previous spys were not.

Any thoughts on an AlTiN run? I also like bare Ti but from the tech point this would push it to the max.

What about emitter upgrades? Certainly nobody wants to touch this beauty, but when you see the LED development of the last few years it is only a question of time until it will be outperformed by a chinalight lumenswise. This is a light for a lifetime and I would love to see this light grow with the LED technology we can expect on the long term. Dont get me wrong, I would never count lumens on such a light. I just want this light to be the light of my choice also in ten years when there are lights with the double runtime at double lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeaterhg View Post
    All my respect for this masterpiece. Just three questions.

Is ist to some extent watertight? I know previous spys were not.

Any thoughts on an AlTiN run? I also like bare Ti but from the tech point this would push it to the max.

What about emitter upgrades? Certainly nobody wants to touch this beauty, but when you see the LED development of the last few years it is only a question of time until it will be outperformed by a chinalight lumenswise. This is a light for a lifetime and I would love to see this light grow with the LED technology we can expect on the long term. Dont get me wrong, I would never count lumens on such a light. I just want this light to be the light of my choice also in ten years when there are lights with the double runtime at double lumens.
    It is water resistant but not as such as the 007. I recommend you do not get it wet. If you do, no harm will come of it but it must dry off completely before use.

I do not offer coatings on my lights. IMO pure titanium creates a wonderful surface.

There are several expert moders here on CPF but I can not say if any will take on any given project.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by chipwillis View Post
    Now that the Tri-V is in my possession, I have the world by the balls.
    I can't wait to experience that same feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeaterhg View Post
    I would second that. When I chose to drop almost 1k on the SPY007 it seemed like it would be reasonnably doable to swap the LED and it was an important fact to consider in the purchase (for me). The Tri-V definetely rise the complexity bar and it doesn't seem that obvious anymore
    With good information, time and concentration I can see myself swapping my SPY007 Led. On the other hand I would NOT touch the Tri-V. But I can't afford it anyway so I guess I should be happy not to have this issue

This is to flashlight what a Bugatti Veyron is to cars. The most ultimate piece of engineering ever reached in it's cathegory. Maybe you should talk to Bugatti. "Buy a Veyron and get a Tri-V to go along with it"

Flashaholic*

Such such an amazing light. This kind of light is the reason why I joined CPF. Lights that push the limit of design and technology. Stuff dreams are made of.

Being a student with minimal income I'm going to have to keep dreaming.

Keep the pictures and videos coming so I can live vicariously through you guys.

Dayum, what a light!!!!!!!!!

Havent bought or sold much lately, but this beauty makes me wanna raise some capital!!!

GREAT JOB DAVE!!!!
    -PSM

GREAT PICTURES AND POSTS GUYS!!!

PICS AND BEAMSHOTS ADDED TO POST #4...

I have been in and out of the house and have not been able to give a proper update yet.
    Thursday night I could not sleep. I took a big gulp of tylonal pm and still could not settle down..too excited for the mail carrier to come knockin!
    By the time I did get the Tri-V, I was starting to feel the effects of no rest....(didn't help I only got a few hours of sleep wednesday either)
    After waking up from a good nights sleep, the Tri-V has been with me constantly and been getting lots of use!
    I am just blown away by how darn cool this light is!!!
    I've messed around with the levels a little bit, but always end up putting it back to the default setting as it seems about perfect so far.
    The XR-E will be turned up to max and will run AW IMR Cells in it in the next few hours to see what it can really do!..

Having the ability to choose three different beam types with a twist of the knob is unreal!!
    The flood of the MC-E is so useful and the tint is very nice and warm and just fills the room or outside surrounding area with light!
    The reflector beam is the most used beam, as it is the type I am most used to.
    The 3 pre-programed levels of the XP-G are well spaced, but I do plan to crank up the XP-G a bit more..
    I've never had a good aspheric flashlight. A member at the CPF Michigan get-together last year brought a sweeet aspheric Mag overdriving an XR-E and I was amazed at that thing! I was going to make one of my own but lost interest due to not really caring for the Mags.
    Having so much throw from such a small light is incredible!!
    There is a beam comparison in the pics of POST #4 of a Surefire KX2C and the Tri-V's XR-E Aspheric set at 1900mA!...
    I programed the 1st possition to have all 3 emitters on at a low level...just cool to look at!
    I really do feel this light can solve most of my general flashlight needs..and then some!!

More beamshots will be taken and added to the beamshots in POST #4 that are of better quality to better show how the different beams ACTUALLY look.
    The current pics definately show how much the beams differ though!!

My brother and a close friend of mine love it but think I'm a little loopy for spending my money this way, but considering I sold my Surefire collection to fund this single light, I feel it was well worth it to have a light that will get tons of use (considering how useful it actually is!) instead of having a bunch of collectables that were mostly sitting on a shelf not getting much use other than occasionally inside the house...(gotta justify the flashaholism somehow)
    Titanium has become one of my favorites as many others here. It just feels like nothing else. The crisp, sharp lines, and machining marks are something that needs to be seen to really understand. I'm still undecided if a Tritium vial will be installed. I like it but it will be a pain in the a$$ to remove in 10 years when it starts to dim...Lol! Maybe the knob will get the same treatment as the 007's knob. Tranquility Base made 2 of them for me. They are absolutely perfect! I had an extra made in anticipation of the Tri-V. I also made a small carbon fiber disc to fit in the knob and of coarse there are the Bullet inserts for the knob that I made a while back..decisions..
    I have a few camping trips planned for this summer to the U.P. of Michigan and Moab, Utah and hopefully Durango, Colorado again. Needless to say the Tri-V and 007 will be tagging along everywhere and many pics will be taken! The Tri-V coupled with the General Purpose Adaptor (GPA) on a tripod is going to be a very useful set-up!

Having the 007 and Tri-V side by side, it's cool to see the evolution......I wonder what Dave has been pondering as his next project?..
    I want you to know how very greatful I am that you choose me as one of the "Lucky 5" to get to test and own this insane masterpiece!!
    THANK YOU!!

GID o-ring & TB Knob Insert with Trits..

Carbon Fiber Disc

Tranquility Base Dual Trit insert..

TB Knob Insert with Trits..

.223 Knob Insert
    Last edited by DaFABRICATA; 04-18-2010 at 06:18 AM.
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Flashaholic

Hey Dave,

For those who choose, are you planning to offer (for whatever the additional cost is) the "SwissGear GA-7836 SHERPA Small Camera Case" mentioned in your earlier post?

Although I appreciate that the Tri-V really deserves to have its own handmade silk and velour cradle from Tiffany's.

Flashaholic

Is the light left or right hand operated? Cause im gonna sell my right arm to get it!!!!!

any photo comparing the Tri-V to surefires ?
    Think about it... a 2 stage light is all you need.

Here it is 6:15 in the A.M. and I just practiced over and over how to program the Tri-V while watching your Youtube video.
    I finally got it memorized and it is very easy to do!
    I gotta hand it to ya Dave, you made programing this thing a breeze once you understand it!!
    I set it up like this for now, and I know it will constantly change to whatever I need it to be !! Unreal!!

P1. All emitters set below 1mA...LOW!
    P2. MC-E set to 20mA
    P3. XP-G set to 10mA
    P4. XP-G set to 1500mA
    P5. MC-E set to 1900mA
    P6. All emitters set to 2900mA...WOW!!

And, YES I am running AW IMR cells..

P6. is just a blanket of light!!!
    LOTS of flood & LOTS of throw!!...Light EVERYWHERE!!

I set P1. for all emitters to come on very low. Again, its a joy to just sit and stair at all the pretty lights...Lol!
    BTW: Using P6 to set the level for 5mA or below is simple and easy to remember...I REALLY like this feature!!! Just watch the emitter(s) start at 5mA and slowly dim. When you see the LOW level you want just turn it off, it goes into calibration,...and DONE!!

I am having so much fun with this light!
    Now that I've memorized the way to set all the levels, I know I'll be messing with it non-stop....as proven already by me still being up!
    I'll be adding more beamshots later this week as I get time to take more.
    There are already some pics in POST #4.
    Time for some shut-eye.....hopefully
    Last edited by DaFABRICATA; 04-18-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Evilgrin07 Re: Tri-V Information

Quote Originally Posted by gtwace View Post
    any photo comparing the Tri-V to surefires ?

Comparison of the Surefire KX2C (M600C) weaponlight and the Tri-V Aspheric XR-E running at 1900mA..

Check POST#4 ...

Dave, when you get a chance, could you please post a Youtube video with how to set the 4 slots for memory?
    I'm trying to understand, but a video might help out....maybe I'm just too tired to understand correctly.
    I'm sure once I figure it out, it will make sense, just don't quite understand yet.

Last edited by DaFABRICATA; 04-18-2010 at 06:08 AM.

DaFABRICATA WOW great job

Lots of info and amazing pictures thank you

when you have had some sleep perhapse you can tell me have you found anything in the programing that you would change?

All positive stuff so far can't wait to get mine (fingers crossed)

Mike

PS the carbon disc with two trit slots would be my choice
    Last edited by mikes1; 04-18-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: PS
    You don't win friends with salad!

Quote Originally Posted by DaFABRICATA View Post
    Comparison of the Surefire KX2C (M600C) weaponlight and the Tri-V Aspheric XR-E running at 1900mA..

Check POST#4 ...

Great post DaFABRICATA.
    I too am blown away with the versatility of the light. Tested it outside in the rain/mist last night. Throw of the aspheric is amazing. Reflector works perfectly and the flood's color rendition makes you think of a filament bulb.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast