Squid versus Bonfire Blaze!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review, Dan. Don't know if you'll be keeping up with this thread or not, but I'd like to mention one thing. It's become a personal sort of crusade of mine to abolish the misconception that green light preserves human night vision.

You mentioned in the article that "People who want to preserve their night vision like red and green lights a lot; the Blaze gives you a red light and a white one in one package." Green is the absolute worst light to preserve night vision (other than white) at the intensity levels produced by almost every green light made. If you can identify the color with your eyes (e.g. it shows up as more than just "light"), it's too bright to preserve night vision, unless it's red. This is a scientifically proven fact confirmed by numerous research papers and specifically referenced by the USAF. The advantage of using red light is that the intensity doesn't matter. Use a bright red light for navigating in the woods and when you turn it off your night vision still works as if you were sitting in the dark all that time.

Green light is used in conjunction with "night vision equipment" such as that used by the military because the equipment is less sensitive to green light and doesn't overexpose in it's presence. Hence the micsonception that green preserves night vision.

Daniel Rutter

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
It's become a personal sort of crusade of mine to abolish the misconception that green light preserves human night vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider your crusade slightly advanced, then; I've amended the review :).

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
hey quick beam you are absolutely right about the night preserving try telling that to streamlight dont get me wrong they are a very good company but when it comes to there idea of night vison they are wrong. just my 2 cents