sunglasses

Wildcat

Enlightened
I have been wanting to upgrade from my $5 Berkley fishing sun glasses to a good quality pair. I really want pair of the Dillion Optics like R. Lee Ermey wears, but they are $270:eek:

What are your suggestions? Preferably made in USA. They will be used a generally shades for driving and other outdoor activities. Willing to go as much as @ $150.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a pair of Maui Jim Honolulu 520's
I got a nice deal. The optics are fantastic.
If you're willing to dish out the extra cash it's money well spent.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have been wearing Oakley for over 8 years now.

I recommend them highly. They are lightweight, comfortable, durable, and have excellent optics. Glass of course, has a bit better optics, but Oakley's polycarbonate optics are amazing and very nearly as good, must be seen to be believed. I have tried glass lensed sunglasses and do not like them, they are simply far too front heavy and feel like they'll fall off my face. I actually have to touch the glasses sometimes to check if they're there because they're so clear and comfortable. They are practically shatter proof as well. The plastic framed ones are great and I wear them all the time, but the metal frames are also excellent.

Expensive, but well worth it. They are all made in the USA.

guardpost3

Enlightened
I have been wearing Oakley for over 8 years now.

I recommend them highly. They are lightweight, comfortable, durable, and have excellent optics. Glass of course, has a bit better optics, but Oakley's polycarbonate optics are amazing and very nearly as good, must be seen to be believed. I have tried glass lensed sunglasses and do not like them, they are simply far too front heavy and feel like they'll fall off my face. I actually have to touch the glasses sometimes to check if they're there because they're so clear and comfortable. They are practically shatter proof as well. The plastic framed ones are great and I wear them all the time, but the metal frames are also excellent.

Expensive, but well worth it. They are all made in the USA.

+1

I would go with oakley also. I have been wearing them for over a decade now and love them. Just like carrot said, they are so light and comfortable I have to check if im still wearing them. Not to mention if I had not had on the first pair that I got as a gift I would likely not have a right eye.:poof:

if you know anyone in the military or emergancy services, they can get you oakleys for about 60% less than retail.

carrot

Flashaholic
IMHO fake sunglasses are a great way to ruin your vision. Many do not filter UV properly the way proper sunglasses are meant to.

Newly Enlightened
I also suggest Oakleys

I like the lenses of the Costa Del Mar sunglasses better but they are not as impact resistant and the frames are usually weak.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have many pairs of quality sunglasses for the sunny days of southern cali from oakleys, revo, armani's and other designer brands. but my favorites are maui jims. very lightweight, and looks great. but the looks of the sunglasses are of course personal preference, and style.

oakleys and maui jims offer great protection.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oakleys are great. Got 7 pairs (some from when I had them as a basketball sponsor)

If you are lucky you can score a pair of Juliets on e-bay for $150. I usually wear Half-jackets for sports and X-metal XXs or Juliets on normal days.

Sverre

PS! Their warranty is great as well btw.

nbp

Flashaholic
I would suggest Ray Ban. Mine are awesomely light and comfortable and provide excellent visual acuity. And the polarizing is very good too. I have been very happy with them.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Oakleys.

I only had Oakleys as sunglasses and I'll always wear them.

rayman

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I love my Oakley's (Razor Wire) and can second the Maui Jim suggestion.
Favorite lens in the Oakley's is the gold irridium polarized.

The lenses on the Maui Gem's are some of the best I've ever used.

Serengeti has a line of glasses that is also in my top 3 (ever) with the Driver lens in it. Most relaxing to the eyes in the car and provides exceptional contrast.

Rayban makes a polarized neutral brown lens that is exceptional in the P frame.

The Raybans are Italian & I believe the others US.

Was a sunglass junkie way before cpf warped me on flashlights:cool:.

A lot of great suggestions in this thread.

nbp

Flashaholic
Correct, the Ray Bans are made in Italy. This is the pair I have. I don't know what the OP is looking for exactly, but these are about perfect for me. Simple, understated, looks good with anything, never goes out of style appearance; they are very light and comfy as I stated and yet made well. Even the hinges are strong and sturdy. I would definitely buy RBs again.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here.

:twothumbs

Question, fellow CPF'ers . . . .

Will polarized sunglasses interfere with me using my Digital SLR camera ?

How 'bout when i use a Circular Polarizer on the camera lens ?

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

:thanks:
_

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread here.

:twothumbs

Question, fellow CPF'ers . . . .

Will polarized sunglasses interfere with me using my Digital SLR camera ?

How 'bout when i use a Circular Polarizer on the camera lens ?

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

:thanks:
_

Do you look through the viewfinder while wearing your sunglasses? If so, wearing polarized glasses while using a circular pola will certainly cause interference (cross polarization). Everything will go dark as you line up the pola with the glasses. I've found no issues though when I dont have that filter on.

Also, depending on the orientation of the lcds, they might black out as well. Just depends on how the mfg oriented the display, and the specific type. I honestly either have no issues with it or I'm just programmed to look below the edge of my glasses when I check the settings / rear screen.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wearing a digital watch and polarized sunnies can sometimes be funny when doing a quick glance "What! The battery is flat! Oh... wait..." :laughing:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would suggest Ray Ban. Mine are awesomely light and comfortable and provide excellent visual acuity. And the polarizing is very good too. I have been very happy with them.
I don't really like wearing sunglasses except for driving but the two pairs of RayBan's my brother gave me are comfortable to use all the time and I'd highly recommend them.