Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Default Which swiss army knife do you use?

There are dozens and dozens of them out there. Which one do you guys use for EDC?

Default Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

The Leatherman Wave

The Swiss Army lineup is fine for everyday about-the-house duty, but the multitools are really on another level. Note how Les Stroud originally used a Swiss Army knife for the first few episodes of Survivorman, but then switched to a Leatherman..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The Leatherman Wave

The Swiss Army lineup is fine for everyday about-the-house duty, but the multitools are really on another level. Note how Les Stroud originally used a Swiss Army knife for the first few episodes of Survivorman, but then switched to a Leatherman..

agreed.

my SAK has been in my desk for over 15 years (gift from an uncle) ive never edc it, but ive used it countless times over the years. i just used it to uncork my wine 5 minutes ago. i dont know which version it is but it also has a magnifying glass on it also.

ive seen many with a basic SAK on their keys, which has a knife, nail file, and maybe scissors. also only heard good things about the SAK spirit, which has pliers.

i edc my leatherman wave in my bag. and carry a leatherman juice s4 at work for its lightweight. and have a leatherman squirt s2 on my keys

Well, all the SAK hate is really depressing.

I EDC a Spartan or a Farmer. And a Classic.

I have not much need for a plier tool but I own a couple Leathermans and the wonderful Victorinox Spirit. Don't ever carry them.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I EDC a Vic,mini-champ great little knife.I have lots of SAK and multi-tools,all have there uses.

I like taking my 07 Soldier with me. If it had a belt clip it would be perfect.
    I bought the 09 Soldier as a camping knife. I've yet to take it in the bush.

My Sportsman is kept in my car.
    I have a mini on my spare set of keys.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Currently EDCing a locksmith along with a lightweight pliers-based multitool.
    Also EDCed a one handed NS sentinel in the past and a one handed NS trekker, which is on me in the woods. Farmer is also coming sometimes, in different setups. Owning many knives (and expensive ones), I still love SAKs more and more because they are awesome.

Flashaholic

I've been carrying a Classic for about 16 years. Not the same one mind you. My wife also carry a backup classic in case I lose or forget mine. Apparently, I'm "difficult" to get along with if it's not on me!

If I must have a plier based tool on me, I carry a Leatherman Mini Tool. If it's any bigger than that, I'll take more dedicated tools. My favorite is small Vise Grips and a small prybar held together with an elastic.

I EDC a Swiss Champ, got three of them: car, backpack and shooting gear.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Nitecore D10 • Nitecore EX10 • Nitecore EZ123 • Olight M20 • Thrunite Catapult

Always carry a vic mini champ[modified] and other tools like leatherman p4-e4-s4. feel quite naked without them.Oh and a few lights.

Flashaholic*

I used to carry a sixties basic Wenger but swapped back over to my later model Victorinox, model "camper" because it has a saw blade which I manage to find a use for quite often. I keep the larger of the two knife blades sharp enough to shave with, the smaller of the two blades is more used for little utility work like opening parcels that arrive from international airmail.........

If I am hiking or in the outdoors, I have a red alox Farmer in my pocket. All the rest of the time it's a Vic Cadet. It is really slim, has all the feature I need (I use the nail file quite often) and like all Victorinox knives, I can get it RAZOR sharp!

If I lived in a rural community, I'd EDC a model with a sawblade attachment. Either my Victorinox Huntsman, or I'd go out and buy a Victorinox Farmer.

For those really hot Summer days, it's going to be a black-handled Victorinox Executive.

But for now, it's this one . . .
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=255
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic

Vic "Classic" on my keyring; On the job I carry a Leatherman "Core," with (occassionally) either a Vic "Climber" or a Vic "Explorer Plus."

A Classic is always on my keyring. Around town I have an alox Soldier in my pocket. Out in the backyard doing chores I have an OHT.

When I go to Nicaragua 1-2 times a year, I pack a Huntsman or Camper.

I have other knives but the SAKs seem to get the most EDC use.

Oh, yeah-if it looks like I need something heavier and/or a pair of pliers, I tote a Swisstool X.

I like Victorinox!

Alox Farmer for me.
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

Only ever had the one SAK - a gift for my twelfth birthday. You can't get it any more but it's closest to a fisherman.

It has big and small blades, corkscrew, toothpick, tweezers, scissors, fish tool, wood saw, file, reamer, flat screwdriver, can opener tool, bottle opener tool. I think I've found uses for all the tools over the last thirty six years! But I guess the most used has to be the scissors.

Fantastic knife.

Oddly, I like the Buck/Wenger SAK the best, but also have a vintage Huntsman, Alox Farmers and Alox Cadet.
    Last edited by Archie Cruz; 04-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.

This thread needs photos

Red Alox Farmer, now my EDC

Essexman,looks good with that fob,on the farmer.

I own a few SAK's , just a run down on ones I use lots .

I keep a Rambler in the coin pocket of my wallet , I usually pack an Alox ( Soldier , Pioneer , Electrician Plus or Farmer - depends on my whim )

For work or outdoors I pack an 09 OH Soldier or OH GAK , these two have displaced my Tacticals , as far as everyday use is concerned .

I also keep a Ranger or Swisschamp in my briefcase or manbag , just plain handy to have .

In addition to the above , I often tho not always pack a Victorinox Spirit Multitool .

SAK's are great value , and very versatile .

Chris

I don't edc one these days, but Explorer is my perennial favorite model and there is one in my lumbar pack. I also have a Cybertool that I use at home sometimes (lost one of the removable bits) and a Swisschamp (not sure where it is). I've had a few Leatherman multi-tools that I was never that crazy about. Not crazy about the Vic Classic either. I have a Spyderco Jester on my keys instead and it's much sturdier while not being much bigger.

I have a Vic classic on my desk at home, and one at work, but I edc a Leatherman Charge Tti.

I don't EDC a multitool but i have SAK Atlas. First i wanted a Forester, but Atlas has almost the same features(very nice saw!) so i bought it instead.

Black Wenger Classic on my keychain. I carry an older fisher style model like Nycto carries when I go fishing. Otherwise I carry a Wenger Standard Issue Alox or a Wenger Tinker.

I bought a Trekker a couple months ago and that one has really grown on me. Good for doing yard work.
    "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

EDCing a locksmith (large locking blade) in the every day bag, a One Hand Trekker (NS) in a survival kit a and a Farmer in another one. They are great!

EDIT: D'oh! I already posted in this thread! Shame on me :P
    Last edited by chenko; 09-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Flashaholic

I EDC a Spartan Lite in my pocket, and a Gerber Suspension on my belt. I'm never caught without a blade and a screwdriver

I owned and carried a alox Farmer for a couple of years and ended up giving it to my son. Went to a Spirit and think it's the cats meow. Great tool and great utility, not unobtrousivly heavy or bulky, love the grip shape.

HDSFAN

Can't find ANY of my SAK's right now, and I just looked all over my room. I'm sure the Cybertool and Explorer are around here somewhere buried in the junk. Still don't know where my Swisschamp is. Edit: Explorer was in my backpack. Would still like to find the other two. Cybertool should turn up. Less hopeful about Swisschamp. Cybertool is missing one of the driver bits. I almost bought the Sog S60 multitool on woot a couple nights ago but managed to resist. Now I sort of regret not buying it.
    Last edited by paulr; 05-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Alox Farmer is second only to the above, because the above adds a Phillips driver and has a serrated blade.
    Last edited by LukeA; 05-18-2010 at 07:55 AM.