The Fenix-Store
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Enlightened

I have the Fieldmaster because I rather have a Philips than a corkscrew like on the Hunter model.

Default Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Don't carry one everyday, but a 84mm Tinker and a Compact with Stay Glow scales occasionally make it into the rotation. I would love to see a 84mm Super Tinker.

I personally have/use a Alox Cadet, Spirit X, Cybertool & Swiss Champ. I love the driver on the Cybertool... I just wish that the Spirit X had a bit driver built in. If that was the case, I think they would have a #1 on their hands.
    Last edited by thedukeoftank; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    ●Today's EDC●
    ‹┤Nitecore Extreme Infinity, ITP EOS A2, Zero Tolerance 0200├›
    ‹┤Spyderco Delica FFG, Leatherman Juice S2, Zodiac AirDragon Chrono ├›

I remember my dad having a mauser army knife when I was a kid. He used to let me use it for whittling away at sticks and whatnot when I went to stay on his canal boat. A coupla years ago, I managed to find myself one on ebay. Needed to epoxy the plastic fascia back onto it, but otherwise in perfect nick.

I love its simplicity; it's got a 3" blade, saw, awl and corkscrew. Many of the ones I've seen elsewhere online (e.g. http://sakfan.blogspot.com/2011/01/v...rmy-knife.html) have an addition, stylised blade in addition to the more traditional curved one - not sure why, but mine has only the one blade. Doesn't offer much more than my multitool, but the addtional blade length is sometimes useful.

Victorinox Classic ...

It's the one you pull out when skittery and frightenable sheep are nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Victorinox Classic ...

It's the one you pull out when skittery and frightenable sheep are nearby.
    Nope! . . . Cause some of them still freak out. I recall the true story of an eldery woman who saw a young man "brandishing" a knife in the commuter train-car she was riding in. She couldn't understand why none of the other passengers did anything to stop him. She grabbed her cellphone and called 911. At the next stop, two police officers climbed on board. They spoke to her, and she pointed out the young man to them. They went to speak with him. A minute later, they returned to her and asked if this was the knife she had seen him "brandishing." When she responded that yes it was, one of the officers told her that if she ever called 911 for something similar again, he'd have her arrested for misuse of the 911 system.

Turns out the young man grabbed his mail while heading out the door to catch his train. He was using the knife to open up his mail on the train . . . And you already know which exact knife model he was using. Yup, some of the sheeple are even more pathetic than the rest.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Good reason to carry previously mentioned 84mm Tinker (or the full sized Tinker and Deluxe Tinker for that matter). Full featured knife but the small blade is much less threatening to susceptible people.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodMan View Post
    Good reason to carry previously mentioned 84mm Tinker (or the full sized Tinker and Deluxe Tinker for that matter). Full featured knife but the small blade is much less threatening to susceptible people.
    The lady mentioned above freaked out over a dude opening his mail with the tiny blade on his Victorinox Classic.

Yes, there are some truly THAT pathetic in their hoplophobia.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

This is another GREAT thread !

_

Currently carrying my Vic Spartan which feature black handle scales with white borders.

It's thin enough and light enough that the lack of a clip isn't an issue. I stopped carrying my Vic Cadet only two weeks after getting it because the Alox handles were just too heavy.

I have whatever this is. It's about 25 years old.

I tried using the corkscrew once but the force I was exerting reached the scary point and I ended up carving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Borad View Post
    I have whatever this is. It's about 25 years old.
    Looks like a Champion plus, nice tool.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.ph...=Champion+Plus

Thanks for the link. I think it's a plain old Champion because I bought it around 1983.

(sorry for this duplicate. The board was slow and I thought I stopped the save process before editing it)
    Last edited by Borad; 07-09-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks for the link. I think it's a plain old Champion because I bought it around 1983...Yeah, it's the 1.5793 Champion.

Great thread here !

Just bought a couple Victorinox SAK's this weekend:

a Farmer with silver Alox handles. This pocketknife is *wonderful* ! ! !

Also, since it was so inexpensive, i picked up . . . .

a (standard-size) Tinker. With translucent-Sapphire Blue scales.

This little beauty has certainly impressed me, as well !

The incredibly WIDE VARIETY of models sure can get confusing !

Thankfully, i did my homework, and am very pleased with my results.

PS: i can see how these things could get "addictive" !

_

I just bought a Swiss army recruit. Really good tool. Love SAK's.

Still carrying my Vic Spartan with the black handles that have the white borders. But must confess, I've only used the large and small blades whenever I've needed it. If it wasn't for the lack of tweezers and toothpick on the Vic Pocket Pal, I'd likely switch to carrying that even lighter and thinner model.

Flashaholic

I used to use the champion but since several years I use a modified miniChamp instead of the larger ones. When I'm out with the boat or away really long I also bring a leatherman.

Victorinox swiss tool with rachet and victorinox workchamp
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

I carry the Ranger or Cybertool

Have decided to track down a Vic Compact for daily use. In an urban setting, I think it would be an overall better tool. Not as minimalist as a Vic Solo obviously. But still minimal with an excellent assortment of useful tools.

I have a Spartan Lite that I've had for a few years and was thinking about picking up a Handyman or Craftsman. I decided to go with the Ranger though since the pliers made the knife a little too bulky to EDC for my tastes.

Ordered the Vic Compact with black scales. Found that the model is surprisingly expensive compared to a lot of other models in the Vic line-up. Even those that come with more tools.

A Victorinox Executive, I’m never without one. The small size (3”) makes it easy to take everywhere, I also like having the two blades. I also carry a Victorinox Hunter when hunting, the gutting blade works very well for me.

I always have a Vic Forester with me
    here are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by riccardo.dv View Post
    I always have a Vic Forester with me
    Do you use the cork screw often?
    My most commonly used SAK is the Trekker and it has the same tool-set except it has a Phillips bit in place of the cork screw (Oh, and it has tweezers and a toothpick). I guess some people really like drinking wine...

I have a black Vic Climber on my keys. Compliments my other EDC tools very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    My most commonly used SAK is the Trekker and it has the same tool-set except it has a Phillips bit in place of the cork screw (Oh, and it has tweezers and a toothpick). I guess some people really like drinking wine...
    Actually, the corkscrew feature is handy for two other reasons. Can be used for untying knots, and is a great way to hold the tiny glasses screwdriver tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    Do you use the cork screw often?
    I used it maybe 4-5 times in a year and i ruined the first time I opened a bottle by the way I have a screwdriver in my edc so I preferred this

Tapatalk @Xperia Arc S
    here are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I have a Vic Huntsman. I find it to be a good balance between tools offered and size.

I also have a Vic Rambler on the keychain. Chose it over the more common Classic due to to extra tool (bottle opener/magnetic phillips).