Phoenix Electroforms

Thread: Folding fishing knife?

Default Folding fishing knife?

I'd like to get a locking folder for fishing. I'd like a slim blade, not more than 4 - 4.5 inches. Tasks to be cutting bait, gutting, simple fileting, scaling, cutting line, etc.

I'd like to stay within a $70 budget.

Any suggestions?
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Default Re: Folding fishing knife?

Spyderco Catcherman would be ideal but it has been discontinued. Perhaps the Benchmade Salmon River instead?
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Check out the CRKT Surf 'N Turf Folder 5" blade, Micarta handle, liner lock, thumb stud, pocket clip, sounds like the bomb. There's a video on this link.
    Not to bright, but never in the dark!

I second the suggestion of the Benchmade Salmon River. I have one, and it works great!

However, I'm not convinced that a folding knife is really appropriate for gutting or filleting. Not that they're not capable of it, just that it's very messy work, and folding knives in general are a royal PITA to clean properly. No matter how many times I wash and flush out my Salmon River, it never seems to be enough.
    "I'm not afraid of the dark. The dark is afraid of ME!"

Opinel slim-line in the size you like! Very VERY cheap compared to *everything* else but just a great buy!

I you dont like the price you can always get one with exotic wood or just jam some diamonds in the handle

I have a few folding filet knives from kershaw that ive found are great for keeping in my tackle boxes, cost me about 20 bucks each. The blade is a little longer than you want at 6 inches, but might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffin View Post
    I second the suggestion of the Benchmade Salmon River. I have one, and it works great!

However, I'm not convinced that a folding knife is really appropriate for gutting or filleting. Not that they're not capable of it, just that it's very messy work, and folding knives in general are a royal PITA to clean properly. No matter how many times I wash and flush out my Salmon River, it never seems to be enough.
    I agree. Folders are a PITA to clean. And I have a couple of suitable fixed blade knives. And I usually filet, or used to, many moons ago, at home in the kitchen. My wife probably won't go for that now, though ...

The problem is, I want a folder for "suburban" fishing with my son. Grab-the-stuff-and-go after work for an hour or so. Years ago, I could get away with carrying a fixed blade around town. Not anymore. While a blade over 4" is legal if I am fishing or hunting (otherwise, there is no provision under my state's law to carry a knife with a blade over 4") my life will be much simpler if it's a folder that rides in my pocket out of sight. So the filet knife and the Bucks are out of the question.

That CRKT knife looks nice...low stock thogh. I wonder if they have any left.

A couple of you guys mentioned the Benchmade Salmon River. Who stocks that model online?
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

you should check out the spyderco "salt" line-up which is supposed to be rust proof. comes in all shapes and sizes, straight blade or serrated. and very affordable.

i use a spyderco salt 1 which is similar to the delica and it works great for line cutting, rope cutting, bait, and other things. it doesnt fillet that good. but i use a fillet-only knife for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    I agree. Folders are a PITA to clean. … The problem is, I want a folder for "suburban" fishing with my son. Grab-the-stuff-and-go after work for an hour or so. Years ago, I could get away with carrying a fixed blade around town. Not anymore.
    Ah, gotcha. Makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    A couple of you guys mentioned the Benchmade Salmon River. Who stocks that model online?
    Just checked the Benchmade site, it's listed as "discontinued". A quick Googling didn't turn up any online from any stores I recognize, so scoring one might be a bit of a challenge. You could always try fleaBay, I suppose; I see one Salmon Creek (5.72" blade version) up there now.
    "I'm not afraid of the dark. The dark is afraid of ME!"