Need faily cheap security guard light

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I know you guys are probably pretty tired of giving out suggestions, but I've been a lurker for a long time now and quite honestly am not sure what to get. I work security and have for the last 3 years in different contracts. Currently I use a Noma 3XAAA LED flashlight that I was very happy with at first, and still am happy with in ways. I will list my likes and dislikes about it:

1) The light color is fantastic. A nice white light with a hint of blue. Perfect. I have problems with orange light (it actually blinds me, not the color orange, but orangey light does)
2) The size is quite nice and I would like something similar. It is 4.88"long, 1.16" thick at the handle.
3) The batteries go into a holder, and then into the flashlight. I always thought this would annoy me, but it turns out ones that don't end up annoying me.

Dislikes:
1) The beam is too wide. It's funny because it's my narrowest beam in a flashlight, so I thought it would be TOO narrow, but it's actually proving to just be too wide for my liking, though this could be amplified by the next point:
2) Not bright enough. I'm not sure the rated output of this thing unfortunately, but it is now a bit over 3 years old, and things have advanced a lot in flashlights.
3) The belt holster is flimsy and makes it a pain to get the light in

Ok, so now what I wants is a good solid flashlight that will last a couple years through some potential abuse (I am in security after all). It needs to be bright, and around the same dimensions (could be a bit smaller or larger, but try to keep it similar). I do not want a huge flashlight, they are impractical as hell for my useage (despite the fact security guards usually go for big flashlights to beat people with, I can actually handle a fight if it comes to that). It needs to have good throw. It should also come with either a belt clip on the flashlight, or a GOOD belt holster OR you can recommend me one that is good that will work with the flashlight. I do not care what battery it takes as it will be always kept either inside or on my person, so it won't vary temperature much. I am also really good with battery charges, ect. so that will not be an issue.

The one kicker though is I can not justify more than ~$100 US for it all. I am a bit flexible though so if you're close and I like the option, chances are I'll go for it. Canadian retailers are also a bonus if I can order from one.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to second Jash on the Quark recommendation, but I'm going to recommend the Quark Tactical with an R2 emitter because you want more throw and the R2 will have more than the R5 which has more flood. The R2's are on sale, they come with a prism kit that can be sold for $10-15 if you don't have any use for it and you can use the CPF8 discount code if you order from 4sevens, plus free shipping.

Also, look at the Fenix TK11. It's about the same size as the light you currently have and probably has more throw than the Quark, while still having enough flood to be practical.

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
Quark 2xAA or 2xcr123 Tactical. Two mode programmable, holster, pocket clip, momentary on, good throw for a smallish light, nice tint, $59-$69 delivered.
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_306

I was under impression that those did not have terribly much throw, especially since they where upgraded to XP-G's. But there's also the "turbo" models that have little larger reflectors to give better throw.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under impression that those did not have terribly much throw, especially since they where upgraded to XP-G's. But there's also the "turbo" models that have little larger reflectors to give better throw.

The R2 Quark is a pretty good thrower. It will probably throw far enough to meet the OP's needs. I EDC a Quark 123x2 Tactical with an R2 emitter, and I love it, but some don't because they say the tighter hot spot hurts their eyes.

joe1512

Enlightened
A more budget version would be the C or S series from itp:

Browse here to see some examples:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_19

The SA2 2xAA looks good, is pretty bright, and has a smooth reflector for decent throw. All these lights are around 40 bucks.

Your 100 dollar budget is not really very limiting, so you probably are better off getting a higher quality brand 2xAA.

One thing to keep in mind: Even the bigger lights here aren't really all that big. The 6 battery itp A6 that I got fits in my hand and isn't more than an inch diameter at the hilt.
I think your ideal solution is a TK40, which uses 8xAA and has a great mix of flood and high throw. It is considered one of the best big lights.
With 8xAA, your runtime will be fantastic and that combined with an Amazon pack of Eneloop rechargable 8xAA, 2xAAA and a charger is a winner.

However, the TK40 is around 130 bucks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
Noma >> Canadian Tire >> Canada.
Can you post or PM me which town you are in. I may be able to locate dealers in your area.
Can you post if you want to stay with common batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) or go with lithium (RCR123A, 18650).

reference light: 3AAA a few years ago >> Single mode Luxeon? >> 75 lumens max.
Your old light is a single mode. Most current LED lights are multi-mode. You have to check out the user interfaces carefully before buying. Some always start out at LOW which I do not think is what you want. Others remember where you were but forces you to cycle through all the modes including strobe, SOS, beacon to get to a different mode.
Fenix came up with the idea (patented) of loosening the bezel for low, tightening it for high. The regular Quarks also do that. The Quark minis do not.
The newer AA lights will work with alkalines but LSD NiMH (pre-charged) are preferred.

4sevens.com >> USA
4sevens.pl >> Europe
4sevens.ca >> Canada (Based in Milton, Retail store in Toronto)
Quark AA2
Quark AA² Turbo
Quark AA² Tactica R2
Quark 123
Quark 123 (no clip)
AW's RCR123A 750mah (2 Pack)
AW's RCR123A Dual Bay Charger AW-138
-
4sevens.ca do not carry Fenix so you will have to get them from the USA store. I have a list of the brick & mortar stores in Canada that carries them.
Fenix L2T v2.0 Q2 Black This is an older discontinued model about 2X as bright as your Noma. The other torches are 3X as bright.
Fenix Digital LD20+ Black Premium R4
The Fenix CR123A flashlights do not support rechargeable batteries so I am not listing them.

ITP A6 Polestar Cree MC-E 700 Lumens LED Flashlight Takes 6AA. More than twice as bright as the other torches listed here. About the size of a 2D Mag.

EDIT
If you like 3AAA lights (most CPFers don't because they are usually cheap crap) the only solidly built one is the Romisen RC-W4. Available in black or gray. The battery holder is on the flimsy side. No idea where to get a suitable holster.

EDIT EDIT :
Will you guys in the USA take note the OP is in a FOREIGN country.
He can not get a TK40 for $130 because Amazon won't ship it across the border (just books, CDs, DVDs).
Ditto lithium batteries via USPS/Canada Post. The customs declaration is a dead giveaway 'hazardous materials' are inside.

Last edited:

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have a close look at them in a little bit. To answer some questions, I am in Red Deer, Alberta. I do not care if I have to go to Li-ion batteries and get a charger as long as I can stay in or close to budget. As I said, I do want more throw and not really any fill. My current flashlight is actually a dual mode (though you're right, I think it is a luxeon). The high ad low setting are virtually the same. And yes, since you mention it, having it programmable to be set at high or medium and just having the switch turn on and off would be a good thing.

ToNIX

Enlightened
You said you're good with battery charge, are you willing to go the 18650 Li-Ion route?

You could get some nice lights that would fit your needs, such as the Fenix TK11/TK12, Jetbeam Jet-III M, Olight M20 and Eagletac T20C2 Mark II. The 4Sevens Quark Turbo would also be a good light.

Those lights are bright as the sun, small and would fit your budget.

I currently have a Fenix TK11 and the Quark AA Tactical running on 14500 clipped on the right shoulder of my bp vest when on duty.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm probably going to get crucified for this one, but since you like the 3xAAA form factor, perhaps you should consider the Maglite XL100.

On the other hand, if you are not too attached to the 3xAAA form factor, I would suggest the Quark Turbo as well. It comes with a very nice holster and offers significant advantages over the Maglite, namely better regulation and a simpler, more useful user interface. But I still think the Maglite XL100 might suit you better than others may suggest.

E: I've written a review about the XL100 here: http://www.gearcarrot.com/blog/2010/03/maglite-xl100-review/

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably going to get crucified for this one, but since you like the 3xAAA form factor, perhaps you should consider the Maglite XL100.

On the other hand, if you are not too attached to the 3xAAA form factor, I would suggest the Quark Turbo as well. It comes with a very nice holster and offers significant advantages over the Maglite, namely better regulation and a simpler, more useful user interface. But I still think the Maglite XL100 might suit you better than others may suggest.
I guess I'll be the first to agree. :D

The XL100 is a nice light, puts out a good amount of light with a decent amount of throw for $40. The UI is a simple on-off click, and the multi-mode can be complete ignored if you don't need them. It doesn't come with a holster though, so you'll have to look for one. I'm using the Nite-Ize Stretch Holster because I need it to be universal, but it will be a bit tight, and only works well if you have an anti-roll ring on the XL100 (light will slide all the way through otherwise).

http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/lite-holster-stretch

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
The Maglite XL400 is rated (by Mag) at 83 lumens, but is around 110 or so, IMO.

And yes, it has more throw than a light of that rating would be expected to have. I have night-tested it several times. It is light and unassuming. The flash and low modes are hard to utilize on that model. I would recommend the Quark Turbo, or for the cheapy route, the Dorcy 200 Lumen...

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414289

A no joke, bright as crap light! A $50 light.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone asked if he would prefer a clicky to a twist-on design?

He also said that it was time to upgrade the holster too.

Could the answer be as simple as a Fenix TK20? $53 shipped before CPF discount. 150 lumens high mode, 45 low. Good runtime on rechargeables. Designed to throw. 2AA is most veristile. Includes a holster and a pocket clip. Is rubber armored and has a nice grip. Pretty simple to use, not a disco-stick. Proven design. Probably better in your case than trying out the bleeding edge in emitter tech. Besides 150lm out of a thrower reflector is pretty decent output.

OP, get this and call it a day. Put in "CPF8" as a coupon code at checkout and you save a bit of $

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=531

Outside of that, I'd do a G2L, but the battery life isnt the best. If Malkoff 60LL and 60low flood drop-ins are still on sale, you are under $100 right there and get 4 - 8 hours of constant regulated brightness. But I'd imagine you would want to just get one package in the mail and go, rather than buy one product and wait for the drop-in to arrive. But not certain if those are going to have enough output either, and one is a flood.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whilst we're flying in the face of collective opinion... I'd be suggesting something like an LED Lenser due to it's speed focus (the OP mentioned he needed a tighter focus), problem is the only a some of their lights have regulation (ie. T5/P5 & M series) :thumbsup:

Unfortunately they can be overly priced IMHO (still sub $100 though) ;)

Last edited:

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
I love how it took 2.5 hours to get my reply approved...oh well, at least now the trial period should be over.

There's some nice looking lights posted. From what I'm seeing, I'm interested in the Quark AA2 tactical, the Fenix LD20+, Quark AA2 Turbo, Olight M20 Warrior (though that would be stretching the budget with buying batteries and charger), Eagletac T20C2 Mark II (same problem as the olight), Jetbeam Jet-III M (again, same problem).

The Dorcy's probably a good light, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with reliability from their lights. As for the Maglite, I haven't used that particular one, but their lights never really win me over, and the motion controlling just seems gimmicky to me *shrug*. The Fenix TK20 is interesting, but it has a warm light, which means orange, which means it's probably not going to be suitable to me (Which is a shame since otherwise it seems like a very good option)

I would be interested in lithium powered lights if I can still come within budget for a good flashlight, charger, and batteries

edit: that LED Lenser T5 looks pretty good. I don't see reviews for it, but I do for the P5 (pretty much the same light) and it looks good. Looks like it's got a very even light dispersion.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
The Quark has a really wide beam, if thats not something your looking for

Eagletac t100c2 mk.II is something else you might want to consider.

Inexpensive; you can get the charger+battery combo as well.

$50 + $10 (1x18650) + $20 (1xUltrafire 139 Charger) = 80 shipped

2 modes; 220lm for 1.5+ hrs and a ~45lm mode for about 14hrs

Vesper

Enlightened
I'd say go for the Quark AA2 Tactical. You can always mod it with the many 4Seven's options mentioned above, will run on Alk, AA lithium Energizers, NiMh. Great light and price from a company with great customer relations.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I would go with the Quark AA2 Turbo with the XP-G R5 LED it comes with everything you would need and the throw is excellent. You can program two different levels and just a 1/4 turn of the head and you change modes and it has a OTF of 205 lumens on high and a 10 year guarantee. I paid $73 for mine and it is worth more.