LED Wearable Ring Proto

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
On request I revisited making a wearable illuminated hand ring.
My proto going back a few years always generated interest & I have always wanted to make a really nice Ring Torch. So here is my latest, I would love to put into a small production run & will most likely hand make a few on request.

To operate you twist the inner or outer ring. Simple On/Off. Runs from a single CR1025 which provides a few lumens. Just enough to see with & more than enough to catch your eye.
Battery is user replaceable & run times are easy 5-8 hours.
Its a neat concept & surprising how useful it is when worn. Practically hands free.
Bit like that water proof claim on Keen sandals !

My biggest challenge is all the many sizes that could be potentially required? I figure if offered I would do just 3 sizes S M & L. Materials most likely would be Stainless & Titanium.
Price, no real clue ATM. Theres other priorities that must come first & this is really just a bit of show & tell for now.
Would like to hear any feedback :thanks:

P1060799.jpg

P1060796.jpg

P1060800.jpg

gollum

Enlightened
Good on Ya Rob, nice idea
I'm sure there will be orders for this.

How about removing the dome and using a diamond instead,or crystal

and theres room for a Trit slot or 2 aswell :popcorn:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

I love this concept!

I think for me it would depend on the appearance of the final product and, unfortunately, having it in the correct size. If it fit me like the one pictured (too large) I would not really wear it.

Also, it would have to be truly waterproof as well.

If you could make a form-fitting ring like that for $250 I'd probably pick it up!
:whistle:

sol92258

Newly Enlightened
wow, that is truly great work, and very cool.
I cannot fathom anything bigger than a midget Smurf putting that together, so good job!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea, but I'm not a ring wearer, so I won't be counting myself in for this one.

However, I am a watch wearer. If you build a Lummi Cree watch, powered by Seiko Kinetic internals, I would be in.

Wait, that would probably be about £1000, I'm out again.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome. I'm in for a SS one. If you could post the internal diameters that you plan to use then we could all get an idea of whether or not it'd fit.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
That is really interesting. You could even team up with someone who does jewelry and have them use damascus or engrave it etc.

Does that battery compartment on the under side get in the way of grabbing things?
Also I would be worried about banging the LED and damaging or scratching it. What are your thoughts? Maybe some sort of lens could be made?

Also if you use an R5 it would be a bit smaller and thus easier to wear and put a small lens over to protect.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I rarely find even ordinary rings that fit...size 16.

Neat idea, but given the sizes issue, the bulk, the way humans are built and work etc...I think that unless you could come up with a "Green Lantern" model, it'll never fly except as a really expensive and sorta silly one-off.

There are folks that like expensive silly stuff though.

Almost everything I do involves using both hands. Using one of those cheap closet lights taped to the forehead would be a bit more useful.

:party: Smiley purposely inserted to make this post a bit more friendly feeling!

Sarlix

Enlightened
If I wore rings I would totally wear this.

Will it have strobe and SOS modes? :p