Glow In Dark stuff on my Arc AAA

scott

Enlightened
About 18 months or so ago I used Seam Grip to put a 1/16" wide band of glow-in-dark stuff (Alien Skin) around my Arc AAA. I also put an 1/8" square inside the reflector. (It'll glow all night long.) Anyway-- It's held for quite a while with EDC.

Tonight I turned my ARC AAA and then turned off my computer monitor and began to make my way out of the room. Then I dropped my light and everything went black. Which didn't make sense-- both because the 3 foot dropped should not have affected the Arc AAA and because I should have been able to see the glow-in-the-dark stuff. By the time I thought these thoughts, it occured to me that the Arc had obviously rolled under something. Then I noticed a waste basket glowing faintly. The flashlight had indeed rolled under a cabinet and the reflector was projecting a faint beam onto the side of the waste basket about two feet away.

The Arc AAA was fine. I had tightened it just enough to turn it on. The drop had jarred it just enough to turn it off.

Anyway-- the glow-in-the-dark addition can be surprisingly helpful.

Scott

paulr

Flashaholic
I carry a couple of Photon II's (red and green) to back up my Arc AAA. I can use one of the Photons to find the Arc if I drop it. Oh wait, they're all on the same keychain! Doh!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's a good thing you had at least 2 backup lights in your pockets though! you didn't need them this time...but who knows about next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightOCD,

I've been trying to figure out if those Glowrings are indeed illegal in the US. Are you certain about that?

I'd love to pick a few up, but I'm concerned about the legality of them.

Thanks for any imput.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Traser company is in the UK and, yes, they are legal there.
I keep one on my Arc-AAA and my wife has one on her keyring.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus said:
FlashlightOCD,

I've been trying to figure out if those Glowrings are indeed illegal in the US. Are you certain about that?

I'd love to pick a few up, but I'm concerned about the legality of them.

Thanks for any imput.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how long you've been looking for the answer MSaxatilus, but I just found it in 10 seconds with a search for "glowring" on Google. I did see your question posted for Merkava in the BST. I took his lack of response as a subtle hint. To answer you're question, yes, glowrings are not legal for sale in the US and Canada. Apparently they are too cool and interesting for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Having said that, I love my glowrings, and I don't lose any sleep over it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
LitFuse. That site you posted also will not ship to Germany. My daughter tried and they refused herm

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
LitFuse. That site you posted also will not ship to Germany. My daughter tried and they refused herm

[/ QUOTE ]

Herm is an unusual name for a girl, is that German? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about you guys, but I just had a thought. Im going to see if I can just get my hands on some of those "glow-in-the-dark" rubber bands for braces(teeth). If i remember correctly they are slightly smaller than the diameter of the arc aaa? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif i will put one right in the gap between the head and the body. should prove to serve as some an extra o-ring as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus said:
FlashlightOCD,

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read the use of Tritium

is illegal in the US unless it serves some sort of ligitimate purpose.

Wristwatches - OK
Novelty Items [Glowrings] - Not OK

Technically I guess the penalty could be pretty stiff, but unless you were acquiring huge quantities of them for sell to terrorist organizations I don't think they would waste much time or effort trying to find you.

JJHitt

Enlightened
4x4:

Do you know a source for the Glow In the Dark bands (elastics)?

I've just done a search and was not overly successful...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Herm is an unusual name for a girl, is that German? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ] LOL..I need to proof my posts more often.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
4x4:

Do you know a source for the Glow In the Dark bands (elastics)?

I've just done a search and was not overly successful...

[/ QUOTE ]

im working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
To answer you're question, yes, glowrings are not legal for sale in the US and Canada. Apparently they are too cool and interesting for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I just love this "not legal" in the US stuff. People openly sell drugs, fake driver's licenses, green cards, and social security cards all up and down the street in front of our offices here in downtown LA. The cops mostly only bother with the rest of us folks who might have a glowring or two in our pockets but don't carry guns and seem perfectly happy to hand over our hard-earned cash to pay traffic tickets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:

From what I've read the use of Tritium

is illegal in the US unless it serves some sort of ligitimate purpose.

Wristwatches - OK
Novelty Items [Glowrings] - Not OK

Technically I guess the penalty could be pretty stiff, but unless you were acquiring huge quantities of them for sell to terrorist organizations I don't think they would waste much time or effort trying to find you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, it depends on the amount of Tritium in a single vial. The amount in the glowring vials is just slightly higher than the legal amount here. Whose really to say what's more useful - watch lighting, gun sights, or a keychain marker? Really if you look at it that way, in my opinion, the keychain marker seems the most useful since more people would use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

You *can* get them here (US) if you know where to look. You probably won't have any trouble unless you take them somewhere like the airport, and even then you may not have a problem. Most people wouldn't know what they were looking at anyway.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Tritium is one of the materials required to make a hydrogen bomb, which might be one of the reasons it is controlled in the US. It is also probably not healthy or wise to expose yourself to too much of it since it is radioactive. I think I read that wearing a Tritium Vial watch doubles your normal daily exposure to radiation, but that is not enough to be considered a risk.

Tritium cost around $10,000/gram, so a glow ring can not contain very much of it.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang! those stinkin' little rubber bands are hard to find! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I beleive he was mistakenly referring to Hermione Grainger, ace student at Hogwarts School or Witchcraft and Wizardry..but then a simply wave of her wand and mere utterance of "Lumos" turns the wand into a magical 5W luxeon
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif