A few Quarky questions

mleroux

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Quark AA Tactical, which I'm very happy with so far. I just have a few questions:

1. Excuse my ignorance, but exactly how is the finger grip meant to be used? The manual doesn't seem to say anything about it.

2. I noticed a black O ring where the head of the light screws on, and a white O ring where the tailcap screws on. If the body tube is turned around to make the clip face the other way, should the black O ring still be at the head and the white one at the tail? I kind of assumed so, since the head gets twisted all the time and the black O ring seems more rigid, and thus more suited for the job. (I noticed that one has to be very careful when screwing on the tailcap, since the white O ring warps and stretches very easily when it gets squashed between the screw threads and the tailcap.)

3. I see that two white O rings were included as spares, but no black ones. What is the reason for this? Does it perhaps relate to my previous question?

4. The marketing diagram on the box of the Quark mentions that five O rings are used to seal the light's internal components. Where are the other O rings located? I can only see the two - one at the head and one at the tail.

5. 4Sevens rates the light's maximum output at 109 lumens OTF - is this when running a AA or a 14500 cell?

Ta in advance... :)

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
grip ring. ermm..i thought its rather easy to understand. slide one loop to the flashlight body. and other loop you put your finger thru. then just point the light. allows you to aim the light at something and still be able to use your fingers to grab and hold something withoug dropping the light or putting it away.

(i havent used mine at all. nice add on but has been useless for me.)

o-rings: dont know. i havent got a white one all mine are black.. (older r2 model tho)

output: lower numeber is with the battery its mainly meant to be used, the 1AA (alkalines, lithiums, nimh etc 1.5vbatteries.) . the li.ions are speciality ones. they work in same voltages as the cr123s so what they say cr123 does is valid with 14500. (200lm or so)

mchlwise

Enlightened
1. Excuse my ignorance, but exactly how is the finger grip meant to be used? The manual doesn't seem to say anything about it.

Like this:

fingergrip.jpg

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My last quark came with clearish white O rings on board and as spares.

I thought there were only four O rings in the unit. One on the glass, one between head and body, one between tailcap and body and one inside the switch retaining ring around the spring. Maybe they also count the tailcap boot for a fifth or maybe there's one I don't know about?

mleroux

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I wrote to 4Sevens as well with pretty much the same questions, we'll see what they say.

And yes, the finger grip is obvious, I just wasn't sure. In my mind a grip with loops in a figure-8 pattern instead of one with loops joined at 90 degrees to each other made more sense, but anyway.

carrot

Flashaholic
The finger grip makes most sense if you are using it to retain the light in your hand. Loop the grip around the light and then on the inside of your index or middle finger, so that you can open your hand freely but still palm and activate the light when needed. This is great during strenuous activities (like jogging) where you don't want to drop your light but still want quick access to it.

mleroux

Newly Enlightened
Another bit of (unverified) information that I picked up is that the finger grip is also meant for use in conjunction with a one-hand firearm.

If the grip is on one's thumb, the light will point more or less in the direction of the direction of the barrel, since the thumb should be perpendicular to the barrel.

I haven't tried it and don't intend to, but anyway...

TwitchALot

Enlightened
My last quark came with clearish white O rings on board and as spares.

I thought there were only four O rings in the unit. One on the glass, one between head and body, one between tailcap and body and one inside the switch retaining ring around the spring. Maybe they also count the tailcap boot for a fifth or maybe there's one I don't know about?

I'm also curious as to how many O-rings there are in the Quarks and where they're placed. It doesn't look like there are any placed between the glass such that it protects the glass from impact (as in the Ra lights?). :confused:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
protects the glass from impact (as in the Ra lights?). :confused:
I dropped my Quark glass-first onto a ladder rung. The bezel dented slightly, and the aluminum 'lip' in front of the glass isn't quite round anymore. The glass is fine, so there must be something in there!

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I dropped my Quark glass-first onto a ladder rung. The bezel dented slightly, and the aluminum 'lip' in front of the glass isn't quite round anymore. The glass is fine, so there must be something in there!

I'm not saying Quark's aren't durable. I just wonder if its designed to maximize reliability. There are things in Ra lights that Quark lights do not have to enhance reliability. Understandable, given the importance of a cost-effective and high value light. I just wonder if o-rings on both sides of the glass to protect it is one of the measures that was not implemented.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also curious as to how many O-rings there are in the Quarks and where they're placed. It doesn't look like there are any placed between the glass such that it protects the glass from impact (as in the Ra lights?). :confused:

Click here. Maybe this will help you. It's a thread on the Quark head disassembly with pictures.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
It doesn't look like there are any placed between the glass such that it protects the glass from impact (as in the Ra lights?). :confused:
There's one between the lip at the end of the body and the outer face of the glass. If you look really closely at the head you can see it and if you run your fingernail around there you'll feel it quite easily. There's not one between reflector and glass, nor is there on most other fifty dolalr lights I've dismanlted.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Click here. Maybe this will help you. It's a thread on the Quark head disassembly with pictures.

Jag said:
There's one between the lip at the end of the body and the outer face of the glass. If you look really closely at the head you can see it and if you run your fingernail around there you'll feel it quite easily. There's not one between reflector and glass, nor is there on most other fifty dolalr lights I've dismanlted.

Thanks!

Last edited: