Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7D Cell Maglite???

Default 7D Cell Maglite???

Does anyone rememeber when Mag used to put out a 7D Cell Maglite? I think it was available in the mid-90's. I wonder if they're available anywhere these days. Any help would be appreciated...

Default Re: 7D Cell Maglite???

There was a 7C but I think no 7D.

Flashaholic*

Yes. There WAS a seven D cell Maglite. I bought one around the mid to late '70's in the L.A. area when I used to live there. They may have been a special run for LEO's because I bought mine from a small gun shop that was frequented heavily by LEO's but I'm not sure. It had no special markings except for the Maglite markings on the head. It came in a cardboard box also marked Maglite. The shop had both seven D and C cell models. I had it for about 10 years and gave it away. I went back to the shop to get another one but they were out of business.

Here is a seven C cell I got in the mid 70's

http://users.erols.com/holtz58/7ccelmag.jpg

Wow... did all the Maglites used to look like that? It looks very similar to a Kell-light (sp?).

-Mike

Wow that looks just like a Kell-light to me too. I sold Mag products at gun shows in 1985. I had 7 cell, C-cells and 6 Cell D cells. The lights came in cardboard boxes. I used to sell the Mini-Mags at $14.00 each (no batterys) and people were thankful. Mag was a lot smaller then. You could actually call and talk to Tony. I would not be surprised if he made a few unofficial runs of 7 cell D-cells.

when i bought my first mag (2d) in about 1986, i distinctly remember an order form inside the package for bulbs, other lights, 7 cell D's, etc. i am sure of this because i kept the package and all materials in it. i used to dream of one day being able to afford a 7 cell flashlight, and the batteries to go in it. i even checked with mag in later years to see if they had any back stock... they acknowledged they used to make 1, but had none left. important thing to note, this is the current-day version, not the thing in the picture above.

[ QUOTE ]
    holtz58 said:
    Here is a seven C cell I got in the mid 70's

http://users.erols.com/holtz58/7ccelmag.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

A slide switch on the barrel, that funky ribbed tailcap, and a lip between the head and body?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Doesn't look very "Maglite-ish" to me.
    Doesn't look like a Kel-Lite either... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    But if Holtz58 says it's a Mag, then it's probably a Mag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Interesting picture Holtz. That looks like some sort of "bastardized" light. That is definitely a Kel head and Kel switch and looks to have a mag body. My 7 D cell mag from the '70's looked no different from the mags of today, (except for it's length), including the rubber push/click switch.

Not only were there 7D cell Maglites back in the 60s/70s, there were a line of large head Maglites too! Being 10 years old, I could only drool. By the time I have my own incme, they were long gone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img]

I've seen that tailcap before, but can't remember here.

That tailcap shape was made for a kubiton (sp?) to prevent an attacker from getting a grip on the end. The middle ring was pointy and cut into the hand if gripped tightly.

GregR

Flashaholic

My friend Vance bought his 7D Maglite at the same time I bought my 6D, I think this was in '78 or so. I didn't buy the 7 cell version because, if you looked at the lamp specs, the candlepower went up for each cell added until 6 cells, then went down for the 7 cell. The 7 cell was- on paper- only as bright as the 5 cell. He lost his after about 10 years when the Duracell batteries leaked and ate through the barrel... Bob

The first 'official' Mag-lite(tm) (latter labeled with a (c)and then an (r))was made in 1979. A number of lights were made before this starting in the early 1970's. These lights were not standardized retail products and had various labels that did or did not include Mag-lite, Mag Instrument, Los Angeles and others. There is debate as to what inscription was used first on true production models. What is known is that by around late 1981, the company moved to Ontario, Ca and began to use this location in the label (in place of L. A. or no location). Non 'Ontario' lights are rather rare. Perhaps this info will help with the time frame.

As for sizes, Mag did make both C and D in seven cell. I don't recall the exact date, but by about the mid 1980's the 7D was dropped. The 7C went on into the early 1990's. By special order, up to a 10D and 12C could be had until around 1984. There are rumors of 14C, but I have never seen one (good throw, but outstanding swing!!!). These special order lights came with an adapter (a big 'dummy cell' made of an aluminum rod and two 'washers') to run on four, five or six cells as requested. As Threepio pointed out, the seven cell argon bulbs were about as bright as the five and not desired. (The after market krypton bulbs were brighter but cost a whopping $10 in the early 1980's.)

Today, the six cell is the largest made and, unfortunately, the company has firmly implanted an (*) into M*g [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

As for head sizes, the 'large' head was the extra-large size and rather rare. The large is the standard (and only) size of today. The small head is the rarest worldwide, while the extra-large is rarest in the USA. Btw, I will pay top $ for a good condition small head (flashlight, that is).

I am not an expert on the history of Mag-lite, but feel free to ask questions. I hope this helps.

The only 7d flashlight I found on flashlightmuseum was this.
    http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/flas...number=RA00050
    The link for 7d mag isn't there anymore.
    Anyone got a current pic of a 7d mag?

Just happened along this forum, and wanted to let you guys know that I have a 7 D cell Maglite that I bought in the late 70s.. Seems to be one of a kind these days..... HC
    Last edited by horse_crossing; 10-02-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Flashaholic*

There are a few folks here that have them. Scroll down to older pages and you'll find pics.

Quote Originally Posted by willrx View Post
    There are a few folks here that have them. Scroll down to older pages and you'll find pics.
    Namely, Will and probably Abtomat. I've got a beautiful brand new 7c, though, thanks to Will and Kiesling. Will gave the link and Kiesling did the translanting (it came from a shop in Switzerland!) I think, originally, the link was provided by Morelite, so, thanks to him, too! I doubt I'll ever get a 7D, unless, it's a brand spankin' new one, like the 7c.
    Last edited by Trashman; 09-05-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willrx View Post
    Actually alot of those links don't work anymore. I've tried. Then realized this thread is 4 years old. Geez, talk about dead awakenings.

Yikes! this one is ancient.
    Still, I would like to have one.

I did not get a 7 C maglite - the largest one I have is 4 D - my collection consists of the mini-mags - 2 AAA, 2 AA and solitaire.
    Now I can see the darkness .

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    I did not get a 7 C maglite - the largest one I have is 4 D - my collection consists of the mini-mags - 2 AAA, 2 AA and solitaire.

Woops, there's another Will. By Will, I was meaning Willrx. I remember, not to long ago, he posted a picture in some thread of a bunch of his longer Maglites all lined up horizontally and vertically, and I think there were some 7Ds in there. (as well as 7C's---two brand spankin' new ones, in the packages.)

Flashaholic*

I'm a little late arriving-as usual. If you scroll toward the bottom of the page in Flashlight Collecting and change the display options to search for everything this year you'll find some nice pics posted in May '07.

Unenlightened

With regards the Maglite 7C.
    As best as I can recall, Maglite Brand, by an American John Maglita, his company in my view, started the long torch revolution.
    Theirs, was a torch that was robust, well thought out, and engineered.
    Maglite 7C Torches, can be easily turned to a Flood, by simply twisting the front bezel.
    Maglites, used a Lexan clear plastic lens, I found that in time though, the Plastic (initially Blue Reflector) then chromed over the plastic, had a tendancy to discolour, fade.

That usually is telling, as to where a torch is stored, and for how long.
    I purchased nine (9) of these, in what I believe was in the 1990's.

Like the Maglite 6C, the 7C is slightly longer.
    I understand that getting the 7C Globes may be a problem.
    As I remember, there was a Globe named Krypton Star, where it's Blister Packed package, can with three or so, alluminium washers, so that one may adjust where the filament situated, and for "spill."

The Krypton Star Globes, had at it's (the Globe) end, a magnified, or thickish, glass end, that appeared to "Throw" the beam further, than the standard 2 Globes (that were supplied in the Maglite Torches.

One Globe came as fitted, and the other in the Tail Cap, in a foam protector, that was made to fit nicely, in the Tail Cap, just under the removeable Tail Cap spring.
    As I recall, I paid approx $80 AU (Australian $$$'s) for mine.
    I still have several, and are unused.

The "D" Size Maglites, Streamlights, are just a bit too big, in the hand, whereas, the C Cell Torches, are much easier to hold, and, these can be used as a Self Defense, defensive weapon.

The best was to hold these Torches is in the strong hand, high, about your shoulder height, with your forefinger on the beam Activation Button, and using it tactically, by just pressing button down, until "ON."

Use the shadow of darkness in your favour, being careful not to lose your night vision.

An excellent and practical design is the Maglite, so much so, that they, Maglite, have introduced, an LED (Light Emitting Diode) Replacement Globe.
    I doubt though, that they will be anything near the brightness of the newer LED disign Technology by CREE.
    CREE, are looking to be among the brightest.
    But nowhere near as bright as the HID (High Intensity Discharge) that are available from Bright Star.
    Hope this snippit, furthers your interest with Maglites and more.
    RA.

Flashaholic*

PM sent.
    I would be interested in buying those if you are selling.
    Old-Style Maglite C & D switches for sale:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=165903

His name is Anthony Maglica, born in New York of Crotatian parents and grew up in their country.

Mag-Lite was actually the last company to enter the "long torch revolution" as you put it, and they were over a decade late to the party. The reason they survived and the half dozen or so other companies didn't was due to a market shift in the '80s.

Police departments were switching to high-power rechargables at the time. Other companies hadn't updated their C/D cell lights in a long time, and as Mag-Lite was a later design theirs was mostly superior. The big company advantage was that Maglica had better mass production methods. So, not only were the lights better they were also cheaper. For the police market they produced the Macharger. On top of that, Mag-Lite marketed heavily to civilians and eventually came out with the AA Mini-Mag which really took off.

The other companies with their older lights that were expensive and mostly sold through cop shops didn't do too well. Everyone but Mag and Streamlight sort of petered out by the mid '80s. Streamlight grew by leaps and bounds since they were the ones who popularized the rechargables.

Hey Will, looking for new stock? You've certainly has success selling those things.
    Last edited by ABTOMAT; 11-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Flashaholic*

ABTOMAT,
    Always a pleasure to hear from you. Once again, thank you for the history lesson. Yes, always looking for new stock (NOS really). Sending PM.
    Thanks again,
    Will

Unenlightened

Hello. im brian. i have had a 7 Dcell maglite for 34 years. i got it when i was 5 years old and im 39 now. a police officer left it on my porch. ive had it for a long time. does anyone know where i can get light bulbs for it? thank you.

Flashaholic*

A 6 cell krypton bulb would work fine and be a bit brighter.

Wow cool... you should take some pictures of it! I bet the maglite was about as tall as you were, when you were 5yrs old. LOL

And yes, a 6 cell bulb would work great. It would be a slight overdrive and thats good because bulbs are more efficient when overdriven.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by sumfun View Post
    Hello. im brian. i have had a 7 Dcell maglite for 34 years. i got it when i was 5 years old and im 39 now. a police officer left it on my porch. ive had it for a long time. does anyone know where i can get light bulbs for it? thank you.
    Hi Brian, are you sure it's a "Maglite"? and not a Kel-Lite or something similar? I thought (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that Maglite didn't start producing flashlights till 1979.
    Aren't flashlights cool?
    Carry a flashlight, and you'll have a bright future.