Found Basic EDC 42 XR GT

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the wife lost her glasses and while searching found a light I had not seen in over three years! It was in the back pocket of the passenger seat of our TrailBlazer. I thought it was an ARC but all there searches I do say HDS??

I have a few questions.

Anyone remember how to work this thing?

What would be the best mod for this light?

Who could do the mod?

Thanks
JT

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
I sent my HDS EDC B42 XR to Milkyspit and had him install a High CRI, 3500K Seoul emitter. I now have a light with great color rendition, a user interface adjusted just the way I want it, and very long battery life in real world use. Turn on just the right amount of light 1,5,20,80 lumens in a couple of clicks.

csa

Enlightened
Nice idea... It's always sad to see old lights whither away under the glare of the new.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a cool find!:party: I love my U 60 and 42 XR GT. I have a Novatac, but the HDS just feels and looks better. I wonder what the latest LEDs could do for my U 60. SST-50 ?SST-90? or latest from CREE ?

DM51

Flashaholic
If it is in good condition, you might do better to sell it and buy something else, such as a Ra Clicky. An unmodified XR GT version in good condition could fetch a pretty good price in the MP.

Either that, or consider it for domestic interior use only, where (strange as it may seem) the lowly 42 lm is enough for many tasks. I have an unmodified B42 which has a SF F04 diffuser filter on it, and it is used frequently for such rasks as finding things which have fallen on to the floor behind my desk.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is in good condition, you might do better to sell it and buy something else, such as a Ra Clicky. An unmodified XR GT version in good condition could fetch a pretty good price in the MP.

What kind of price do you think it could get? It is like new but for one small ding in the bezel ring that holds in the front glass.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Jtivat,

Don't forget the EDC Basic can be fully customized by using the back door. Take the EDC Ultimate User's Guide and substitute 250 for 10. That is, when the EDC Ultimate User's Guide says to 10-click or 10-click-press, you will need to do a 250-click or 250-click-press to perform the same function on the EDC Basic.

Henry.

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Good reliable lights. I love mine (the same model as yours) that wears one of PEUs stainless steel crenelated bezels.

Glad to hear of your good fortune of finding it.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtivat,

Don't forget the EDC Basic can be fully customized by using the back door. Take the EDC Ultimate User's Guide and substitute 250 for 10. That is, when the EDC Ultimate User's Guide says to 10-click or 10-click-press, you will need to do a 250-click or 250-click-press to perform the same function on the EDC Basic.

Henry.

Thanks I will give that a try. What if I click 251 times?

kevinm

Enlightened
Jtivat,

Henry.

I just tried this with my EDC Basic 42 XR GT with no luck. Do I have to click slowly? The light does not blink when I'm clicking.

She's #2603, if that matters.

Thanks,
Kevin

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a U60GT, and I think it's just fine as it is.
IIRC, I think Henry stated that the 42XRGT actually had output closer to the 60 lumens, even though he only rated it as a 42.

I'd leave it is it is. It's a great light. 42 lumens max is just fine for a pocketlight. I hardly ever use my U60GT on max anyway.

If you want to sell it, they are bringing pretty good money on the CPF Marketplace.
I'll bet you could sell it for more than you paid for it.

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
I have a U60GT, and I think it's just fine as it is.
IIRC, I think Henry stated that the 42XRGT actually had output closer to the 60 lumens, even though he only rated it as a 42.

I'd leave it is it is. It's a great light. 42 lumens max is just fine for a pocketlight. I hardly ever use my U60GT on max anyway.

If you want to sell it, they are bringing pretty good money on the CPF Marketplace.
I'll bet you could sell it for more than you paid for it.

While I agree that 60 lumens is enough for a pocket light, I already modded it with an XM-L. VERY bright now! It's substantially brighter than a stock 120E, but less bright than my XM-L modded 120P. Why settle for 60 when you can have a low low, a high high, 2 modes between, and a light that remembers my last level?

bansuri

Enlightened
Got it! Is there an Option 9 to make the Basic an Ultimate (like the Novatac)?
I didn't see it on mine when going through the 250 click options menu. :( Good news is it's easy enough to set up 3 or 4 levels that cover your needs and be done with all the clicking.

My Basic 60 gets more use than any of my other hand-helds. It's really a great light, I could go on and on about it.
DM51 has a good point on another level: not only is it expensive to replace, it's difficult. I'll be modding my easily replaceable EDC 120 and using it for my "away" light so my Basic60 can stay safe for around the house use.
The XM-L neutrals have finally shipped, I'll be joining the XM-L club soon.

kevinm

Enlightened
Yeah...me too.

I don't carry mine either; I carry the 120P. You'll love the modded light. Make your life a bit easier and get some of the 8mm boards from the marketplace; it was simple with those!

kevinm

Enlightened
Well the wife lost her glasses and while searching found a light I had not seen in over three years! It was in the back pocket of the passenger seat of our TrailBlazer. I thought it was an ARC but all there searches I do say HDS??

I have a few questions.

Anyone remember how to work this thing?

What would be the best mod for this light?

Who could do the mod?

Thanks
JT

I replied above and didn't even address the questions!!!! The Basic (in Basic mode) is something like

Click once for Primary (medium high)
Click twice for Secondary (medium low)
Click three times for Tertiary (low low)
From on, press and hold to go Full Blast (high!)

The 250 click thing seems like it's a lot shy of 250. While watching Lone Wolf and Cub, I did this 5 times.

From off, click the light until it stops blinking when you click.
1. If you hold then for 2 or more seconds, you get to the Brightness Menu.
a. Click once to move up one step.
b. Double click to reverse direction (move down).
c. Click as many times as you want to get the level you want. Then press and hold until the light goes off. That memorizes it.

As far as I can tell, with Force on, this only lets you change the Primary output.

2. If you click 250 times and then click again, it moves you through the Options Menu.
a. Each click moves you to the next option.
b. Hold the button in that option until the light goes off to toggle the option Off/On.

The one really worth doing IMO is the Force Setting. Turning that off allows the light to remember how much light it was putting out when you turned it off. It also allows you to set the light in some mode (say Secondary output), go into the
Brightness Menu, and change the output of THAT level.

This, and swapping the emitter (which is pretty easy, as long as you take it slow and mark the positive lead from the driver) would be the two best mods to do.

Oh, and Henry made the Arc 4; that might be the confusion.

Have fun with the sore fingers!

Kevin

Ps- Nice find! I just find french fries. :(

Last edited: