Parasitic Drain in Princeton Tec EOS?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone had a set of fresh batteries discharge significantly while sitting in an EOS? I put some fresh Duracell batteries in a few months ago. The light was used for maybe 15 minutes, probably less. I tried using it last night and the batteries are apparently discharged enough that it won't run on "high." (High and medium were the same brightness. All other modes worked fine.) I put in another set of batteries and high runs as it should. I'm puzzled - wondering if there's a parasitic drain in the EOS?

Found this thread, but it doesn't seem conclusive.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, sorry to say I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the light. PT did send me a new one, though (gotta love their CS).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks, Green. They replaced it with a new EOS, yes? Does the new one have any issues???
Yup, brand-spanking-latest-version-new one. It's working great.

As an aside, with the new emitters, I no longer see the need to mod the Eos into anything else (except if the emitter is still stock from the Lux days, of course).

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, brand-spanking-latest-version-new one. It's working great.

As an aside, with the new emitters, I no longer see the need to mod the Eos into anything else (except if the emitter is still stock from the Lux days, of course).

Thanks. I gave them a call and they immediately gave me an RMA. I'll be mailing it back tomorrow.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I had my 50 lumen EOS 2 (two mode) in my BOB for 6 months with LSD NiMH batteries and it worked great. Never seen any drain with my 50 lumen 4-mode too so gotta think it is an issue with a small number of headlamps not a standard problem. Oh snap now I gotta get a 70 lumen EOS. Maybe in orange to justify the purchase.:D

lumenal

Enlightened
Has anyone had a set of fresh batteries discharge significantly while sitting in an EOS?.... I'm puzzled - wondering if there's a parasitic drain in the EOS?...

I was wondering the same thing about my Princeton Tec quad.

The LSD cells in it were almost dead after maybe 20 minutes of use in a couple months. Usually they'd still be near fully charged.

Recharged the cells and so far, so good.

I chalked it up as maybe the HL got clicked on inadvertantly, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
from that similar thread, linked above:
yellow said:
open and check drain,
but one rule of thumb: electrical switch --> drain
mechanical switch --> no drain
EOS - as far as I understand it - electrical pushbutton switch

when not in use, get a small sheet of paper between one contact and cell, or remove batteries, or ...

there has nothing changed here,
also the info is not really difficult to understand
;)

lumenal

Enlightened
Yellow - thanks for the info.

Electronic switch = parasitic drain.

I've had that PT Quad HL (with electronic switch) for a couple years and its never drained before. :huh: :confused:

Are all electronic switches subject to parasitic drain?