Malkoff

Thread: Please assist me with some dive watch maintainence

Default Please assist me with some dive watch maintainence

Hi guys,
    I need to do some routine maintenance on a dive watch and I'm looking for advice. First of all, I have a Festina Sub Diver. It's not super expensive, but at about $200 I'd rather not wreck anything. Also, I don't actually dive with it. I do swim with it and it finds it's way into the shower pretty frequently. I like the dive watch though because it's big and heavy and very tough.

Ok, my battery died so I need to replace it. Some jewelers I asked did not want to do it as it's a dive watch and they don't have the ability to pressure test it afterwards and don't want to be liable if it fails later.

I think I'm just going to buy a caseback wrench (they're cheap on the bay) and change the battery myself then. My questions:

1) Should I automatically change the o-ring inside while it's open to ensure a good seal? If so, are they specialized and where should I get it?

2) Is it really necessary to get it pressure tested? Like I said I don't dive but I Definitely want it to be watertight. Some places I found online charge a mint for pressure testing. Are there places that do it cheaper? Or should I get some parts together and build my own pressure tester (doesn't look too tough based on my reading) or should I just snug it up and not worry about it?

Suggestions from divers and watch enthusiasts welcome!

Thanks everyone

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Please assist me with some dive watch maintainence

I've changed the battery on my TAG a few times and always inspect the seal. I lube it before i tighten the case back as to not tear it(silicone spray). So far It has been plenty water resistant for my needs. It's not hard to do. Personally I would do it myself and not have it pressure tested at that price.

Flashaholic*

I would just be careful and not have it pressure tested as well. I'm a diver and have a cheap dive watch as well as several dive computers.

When my dive watch needs a battery I'm going to do it myself and then just not use it as a dive watch anymore. I will take it in the shower. You shouldn't have a problem.

If you can find the proper o-ring change it but otherwise just re lube it and it should be fine.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

unless its a pressurized case youve really got nothing to worry about, and being a $200 festina im doubting its pressurized. buy the tool swap the battery and put some grease on the o-ring on and continue use. its really about as tricky as changing the batteries in a flashlight.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

I think if you a careful and have the proper tools to open the watch then why not try it. I have taken a watch in to get the battery replaced and they scratched the crap out of the back when there tool slipped and they said it was like that when I brought it in and it was the first time I had the battery replaced in that watch. So if you decide not to do it your self then watch where you take it sometimes the cheap places are cheap for a reason. The gaskets are usually good for a few openings unless they are really dried out from salts or chemicals from a swimming pool and there is a lot of build up of dirt around it you should be alright. I would wash the watch very good with a tooth brush and make sure you remove as much dirt build up in between the case and the back as you can before you open it up.

Ok, that's basically what I wanted to know.

I will just get a wrench and do it myself, and then at least I know that it was put back together properly, and was cleaned and lubed well before reassembly. You are all probably right; if I do this and I'm careful not to pinch the o-ring while resealing, it will probably be just fine. The pressure testing is a good precaution for actual diving, but likely not necessary for my purposes.

Although building a pressure tester and checking dive watches might be a good hobby-business idea, as it doesn't seem there are many people around who do it...

have fun! :-)

i have done numerous DIY G-Shock battery change with no problem. most of the times the old seals are in good condition, lubed and goes back in. i replace seals only if they are too dried out or damaged

my watches also goes into the pool and shower and no WR problem.
    Let there be light.

I have a G-shock too, and yes, they are a breeze to replace batteries on. With the easily accessible screws in the caseback, all you need is a small screwdriver!

How did your self-maintenance work out?
    I have a rather cheap ($100) Momentum dive watch that I wear swimming, but not diving, where I let the computer do the work.

I took it to a dept. store jeweler who assured me that he could change the battery. Didn't do the pressure test (I didn't know about it) and the watch leaked from swimming.

Momentum repaired it ($70, essentially they sent me a new watch) and I learned my lesson. Back to them for new batteries.