Malkoff
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The SureFire E2L-AA Thread

Default Re: The SureFire E2L-AA Thread

Anyone get theirs yet?

I too am really looking forward to a review of this light.

Is the e2l-aa's body actually smaller around, or just has thicker tube walls than the 1st e2l?

Also, anyone know which late release s.f. or aftermarket l.e.d. conversion heads will work with 2xAA's, that will screw onto this body?

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Is the e2l-aa's body actually smaller around, or just has thicker tube walls than the 1st e2l?

Also, anyone know which late release s.f. or aftermarket l.e.d. conversion heads will work with 2xAA's, that will screw onto this body?
    I handled one at SHOT 2010 and it has a smaller diameter than an E series. It has E series head threads. Seems that tailcap with slightly larger than the body, if I recall, not sure.

Bill

I received my E2L AA this afternoon (from Battery Junction). It is almost exactly the same length as my Mini M@glite AA LED. The body appears to me to be exactly the same diameter as my E2D LED. The Tail Cap is exactly like those on my two E1Es. Operation is Low (3 Lumens) then High (80 Lumens) as opposed to the E2D LED which is High (200 Lumens)then Low (5 Lumens). The head is Marked KX1B and has its own serial number. The color of the light appears to be neutral and doesn't have a green ring around it like my L1 (Cree) does. I have briefly tested it with the supplied Lithiums as well as some rechargeable Nimh. The Nimh (Imedion 2100s) seem to work just as well as the lithiums. There is a "step" inside the barrel where the size is reduced to fit the AA cells and the rechargeables fit just fine. The light has the long clip.

Mark
    Surefire A2(Red LEDs), L1(Cree). and some others.

i'm just dying to see pictires reviews and some video. Please could you tell us more? Is it easy for you to make a small review? I'm looking for this light but here in Europe is not available yet for purchase it.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I handled one at SHOT 2010 and it has a smaller diameter than an E series. It has E series head threads. Seems that tailcap with slightly larger than the body, if I recall, not sure.

Bill
    Shows you what I know. LOL. I got a close look at it and held it, but it did look smaller diameter than E1E, maybe because it was so long. I did not notice a B on the prototype.

AVR Marka, will you take a current measurment at tailcap with a DMM, on high mode? Would be interesting to see how much current is being drawn from the cells.

Bill

According to my almost 17 year old Radio Shack "True RMS" DMM the current draw is 57 mA low and 300 mA high running on the new Lithium batteries and 57 ma low and 365 ma high on Imedion 2100 mah Nimh batteries and 56 mA low and 305 mA high with new Alkaline Duracells.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AVR Mark View Post
    According to my almost 17 year old Radio Shack "True RMS" DMM the current draw is 57 mA low and 300 mA high running on the new Lithium batteries and 57 ma low and 365 ma high on Imedion 2100 mah Nimh batteries and 56 mA low and 305 mA high with new Alkaline Duracells.

Mark
    Thanks. The light will run forever on two good primary lithium's, and will do pretty good with the LSD rechargeable's. Will be interesting to see a runtime with the Alkaline's.

Bill

Can't wait for tomorrow when mine shows up! It's a late birthday present from my Mom that I've been waiting for - birthday was half a month ago. Been waiting for a nice light like this for a long time, but it had to meet certain requirements, which the E2L-AA does.

they mostly come out at night, mostly.
    my lights

I'm looking forward to some reviews of this as well.

I'm really considering picking up one of these to keep at our lake house.

I received my E2L AA this afternoon (from Battery Junction). It is almost exactly the same length as my Mini M@glite AA LED. The body appears to me to be exactly the same diameter as my E2D LED. The Tail Cap is exactly like those on my two E1Es. Operation is Low (3 Lumens) then High (80 Lumens) as opposed to the E2D LED which is High (200 Lumens)then Low (5 Lumens). The head is Marked KX1B and has its own serial number. The color of the light appears to be neutral and doesn't have a green ring around it like my L1 (Cree) does. I have briefly tested it with the supplied Lithiums as well as some rechargeable Nimh. The Nimh (Imedion 2100s) seem to work just as well as the lithiums. There is a "step" inside the barrel where the size is reduced to fit the AA cells and the rechargeables fit just fine. The light has the long clip.

Mark
    Very nice... sounds like it could be a 2AA version of the E2L-KX2, with similar output(s) from either.

Also looking forward to the reviews.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

I ran the light for a couple of hours last night and then checked current draw(s) again. They are notably lower than before: Lithium 36 mA low 278 mA high. Nimh 37 mA low 322 mA high. Alkaline 37 mA low 287 mA high.

Mark

Does it seem like the head will fit on a 1xcr123 body?
    FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Interesting Mark. I would have expected the current to go up as the voltage dropped, what a constant current boost circuit will do when in regulation. What are the resting voltages of the Alkalines, primary Lithiums, and the LSD's now.

Bill

The Bezel (KX1B) fits and works just fine on my E1E. Also the really old (4 ring) KL1 that I normally use on the E1E works as best as can be expected (as well as it did when it was new) on my E2L AA body, but it only puts out about 10-15 Lumens and draws 614 mA (tested on 1 Cr123 Battery in E1E or 272 mA from 2 CR123s in my E2E).

Battery static voltages:

Lithium 1.748 volts

Nimh 1.399 volts

Alkaline 1.597 volts

Mark

AVR Mark,

What are your initial impressions of your new E2L-AA? What do you like/dislike about it? The big question too is do you think that it was worth the amount that you spent on it?

I'm welcome to any and all opinions.

So, what's the current draw on the KX1B for high and low modes?
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

The Bezel (KX1B) fits and works just fine on my E1E. Also the really old (4 ring) KL1 that I normally use on the E1E works as best as can be expected (as well as it did when it was new) on my E2L AA body, but it only puts out about 10-15 Lumens and draws 614 mA (tested on 1 Cr123 Battery in E1E or 272 mA from 2 CR123s in my E2E).

Battery static voltages:

Lithium 1.748 volts

Nimh 1.399 volts

Alkaline 1.597 volts

Mark
    This is the resting voltage after running them for a couple of hours? That is what I was asking about.

Bill

sorry for my silly question but can the E2l AA accept eneloop AA batteries?

thanks for understanding.

Flashaholic*

yes, it can

Just got mine. Great light - not that exciting really other than the AA factor.

The only thing to note for me is that I don't care for the new logo. And a lot more writing and white logo/text than usually which I'm not a fan of. A little bit more billboard feel with all the stuff printed on it. Head says KX1B.

As for the size of the light, I think most people forget that not everything has to be an EDC. It's very easy to hold and actually use this light. I would rather have the length to hold it outdoors than try to use a short E1L outdoors. I always felt that the Mini Mag AA was a great size and thought lights like the E1L/E1B were a little short for real use (or longer use) but they were easier to carry by being so short.

I had a Surefire L2 awhile back and felt the length plus the width made it very large. With the E2L-AA the length isn't as bad because it's thinner. It makes a difference for sure.

At least they kept the knurling. I can't stand the new lights like the LX2 and E1B being smooth. Knurling is far superior and I'm glad they kept it on this light and didn't go all "futuristic" with it.

That's my mini review. Beam is the same as my E1B, in a longer package that takes AAs.

I do love it and it will get a ton of use. I think it will be my main outdoor light and really shine at that task.
    Last edited by knightrider; 07-13-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    my lights

Lets see some pics!!!
    -PSM

Knightrider, I am trying to remember, is the head of the E1B marked KX1B?

Bill

Knightrider, I am trying to remember, is the head of the E1B marked KX1B?

Bill
    My E1B is not one of the latest marketed as the 110 lumen. On my E1B head I only have "hot surface" and FC CE. Not sure on the latest version, it is probably the B that differentiates between the 80 and the new 110. Not sure though...

Will take some pics now and post in a few minutes.
    my lights

Here are some pics and wall beam shots. It's not dark here and I would say if you've seen an outdoor beam shot of a E1L/E2L/E1B you know how the TIR works outdoors. I'm not much of a night time shooter and don't have the backyard others have, sorry!

E2L-AA left side, E1B right side - high for both

E2L-AA left side, E2L right side - high for both

E2L-AA left side, E1L right side - high for both

E2L-AA left side, RA 140 Executive wide beam right side - high for both
    Last edited by knightrider; 07-13-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    my lights

Sweet pics!!! That looks like a great light!! I bet the runtime on L91's is great!!!
    -PSM

Can you explain that last beam shot? The center beam on the right looks much wider.

Bill

Can you explain that last beam shot? The center beam on the right looks much wider.

Bill
    Its a Ra with Seoul emitter.
    -PSM

Yup, it's the wide beam Ra. I posted the pics before adding the descriptions for the beam shots. They are there now, sorry, I just got excited about getting them posted.
    my lights

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast