Impact resistant UCL lens?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... is there such thing as a plastic impact resistant lens material thats on par with the UCL / coated lenses in terms of optical transmission efficiency?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not sure, but Gene Malkoff is selling a 95% transmission plastic lens for use in his MD2 with his new M61 drop in. Not quite the 98% transmission of the UCL sold by flashlightlens.com, but still good.

Bill

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
When I replaced the lenses in two G2 heads that I am using, I tried one ULC and one Hard Coat Acrylic. I would have preferred a borafloat for both applications, but flashlightlens.com does not make it in the correct size. Approximately two months later I broke the the ULC lens. It was on my FiveMega "3P" in the bottom of my pocket when I dropped a full 15 round 9mm magazine into the same pocket butt plate first. Shock resistant? Not at all.

The hardcoat lens is on a FiveMega1x18500 body and has been carried in my pocket quite often and there is not so much as a noticeable scratch on it. I've purposefully carried it with keys, pocket knives, and such in the same pocket just to see how it held up and it has performed wonderfully. One note though, it is slightly thinner than the glass counterpart and it makes the rim of the bezel seem a bit sharper as the retaining ring sits a little further in.

You can also try the surefire replacement lens for the Z44 bezel, but in my experience the amount of slack from the slightly smaller diameter made it difficult to achieve a proper seal unless you are able to perfectly center the lens during installation.

Last edited: