Malkoff
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

Default Re: Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

Hello! I bought a flashlight Olight SR-90 measured and true values ​​are:
    Hi position 7.22A
    Low position 1.62A
    We modified the current growing flashlight:
    Hi position 8.38A
    Low position 1.88A
    modification consists of attaching parallel the "R sens", other 4 resistant 0.10ohmi.After the change feels a clear difference
    0.10ohm resistances can be seen in one picture
    Last edited by acrobatu; 08-13-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

Good skills and brave work. I wonder if the regulation is still so flat after the mod?
    Your pictures illustrate the great heatsinking in the SR90.
    This is sometimes overlooked in the demand to make lights of this power smaller.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

duplicate post deleted.
    Last edited by easilyled; 08-14-2011 at 03:22 AM.

So that's what my SR90 looks like inside. I am not brave enough to take mine apart, at least not until I have too. I am still concerned that one day I will break the glass lens, until then it shall stay in one piece but I am grateful for the "inside" pic's
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozgeardo View Post
    So that's what my SR90 looks like inside. I am not brave enough to take mine apart, at least not until I have too. I am still concerned that one day I will break the glass lens, until then it shall stay in one piece but I am grateful for the "inside" pic's
    Thanks
    with pleasure, if you anymore And nothing on hand technique, you can ask me

Hello fellow forum members and SR-90 owners; I've been very impressed from the reviews and posts I've read about the SR-90 and am really considering getting one myself. Couple of questions I could not find the answers to here are:
    1)Does anyone know if the charger allows for 220V as well or just 110V-in case I might travel with my light overseas?

2)What is the charging time once the battery pack is completelly drained? How many charge cycles can these batteries take before you need to replace them, say compared to the 1000 cycles on Eneloops?

3) Has anyone traveled w/ this by plane internationally or at all? Would I encounter any problems at airport security taking the light and case as a carry-on or is this something that I'd be better off with in checked baggage because of its size and raw power?

I'd appreciate any sort of imput from anyone with some ideas before making the final buy decision.

Thanks

It charges fine in the UK (240V mains)

I don't know the answers to 2) and 3) but I'd love to see the expressions of the guys checking the hand luggage if you try to take one of those through.

I would love to see that look too, but hope it wouldn't be one of impending confiscation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dude View Post
    1)Does anyone know if the charger allows for 220V as well or just 110V-in case I might travel with my light overseas? 2)What is the charging time once the battery pack is completelly drained? How many charge cycles can these batteries take before you need to replace them, say compared to the 1000 cycles on Eneloops?
    The charger is rate for 100-240V on all the Olight SR-series lights that use the common handle/battery pack, so you should be fine with simply a plug connector adapter (thanks for the direct confirmation easilyled).

Charging current is rated at ~0.5A on the charger, but I have not directly measured it. My SR90 took about 4.5 hours to fully charge from a depleted state.

Not sure how many recharge cycles you can expect, but it's probably comparable to other Li-ion devices. Check out the battery/electronics subforum here at CPF for more info.

No idea about taking it on a plane, but I could imagine you might have some issues ...
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Nitecore EA41.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Selfbuilt, nice review. As others have said, that took many many hours to get all the shots, format, organize, and present all aspects. It would be nice if there was a 2000+ L output LED that had minimal spill. The problem with any of the big lights is that most of them ignore the spill issue (with dust, ground, foliage reflection, etc.) wiping out your eye's ability to see the farther thrown objects.

The real question on the battery pack comes down to which specific cells they used. If the 6 cell pack is putting out 7.2V @8A, the 2s3p can use "less expensive" cells to cover the output needs. For the price (including the separate $150 list price of separate battery pack), I think consumers deserve to know exactly which cells (brand and chemistry) are being used in a hand held device, including full details on the PCB circuit (balancing, discharge/overcharge protection, current limit, dead short protection, etc.). This is important (chemistry) so consumers can take proper care of the pack, and know what they are paying for.

If I ever get a "serious" light, if not disclosed, I would take the pack apart and publicly disclose what cells are being used. For example, I give XeRay credit for using Samsung 18650 cells in their Barnburner HID.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by acrobatu View Post
    with pleasure, if you anymore And nothing on hand technique, you can ask me
    Have you ever dismantled the battery pack to see what kind of cells are used?

Great work on the head, thanks for sharing this. Looks like some good quality construction in there.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Selfbuilt, nice review. As others have said, that took many many hours to get all the shots, format, organize, and present all aspects. It would be nice if there was a 2000+ L output LED that had minimal spill. The problem with any of the big lights is that most of them ignore the spill issue (with dust, ground, foliage reflection, etc.) wiping out your eye's ability to see the farther thrown objects.
    Thanks, these reviews are indeed a lot of work to pull together.

Incidentally, I am currently working on a review of the SR92 (3x XM-L U2) and Surefire UB3T, and will compare both to the SR90. As you might expect, the SR92 has a somewhat floodier beam (but still excellent throw), so it may be more suitable for those wanting extra spill.

I'm not sure how many need a more focused light, but you are right that there are few options. The UB3T may be your best bet, as it uses a TIR for a very focused beam with minimal sidespill. Of course, it is a single XM-L, so it is only rated for 800 lumen max. Still, it has impressive throw for that output, with a narrow beam (given the optic).

Both lights are in testing now, so I hope to to have reviews up within the next two weeks.

Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Nitecore EA41.

Yeah, one of the ? mods ? Bernie (bad memory, but it was a long time CPF member) told me to try the E2D Defender a while back with that TIR, and I was quite surprised at the result. I'll check that UB3T since you mentioned it.

Hi people, can someone in the know tell me if the battery pack has balance charging?

Banned

Not sure if they balance charge. I have emailed Olight looking for some info on the pack.

One other thing that I always think about the SR90, which can often get overlooked when I read people talking about it, is the neatness of the beam.

That huge reflector not only gives throw, but really well defined hot spot and spill area, with pretty sharp edges. No messy fussy overlapping beam here.

yes, appears that everyone concerned have no idea as to what i am talking about or they just choose to live in hope that the average user will either loose the flashlight or loose interest in it so that down the track battery pack condition is not an issue. However, as i am the driver of my fate or destiny, and not the passenger, i have opened the pack and things are under my control again. Gotta like that

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baddog View Post
    yes, appears that everyone concerned have no idea as to what i am talking about or they just choose to live in hope that the average user will either loose the flashlight or loose interest in it so that down the track battery pack condition is not an issue. However, as i am the driver of my fate or destiny, and not the passenger, i have opened the pack and things are under my control again. Gotta like that
    Do share...

Nice review, wish i could afford one but quite a large purchase for the average man.
    My Lights -- Olight S20 Baton XM-L 470 Lumens
    Olight M20 Warrior 2010 320 Lumens
    Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 120 Lumen 3C,
    Fenix E-15

Unenlightened

I recently bought this light for seeing animals and people on my property. It's very impressive. It's 250 yards, measured by GPS, from my front yard to the woods at the back corner of my property. This light has no problem putting serious illumination on objects at that distance. I just ran it for 15+ mins straight on high, heat sink barely got warm, and no noticeable change in output.
    EDC: Olight M20SX Warrior + AW 18650's
    HOME: Olight SR90 Intimidator

Another great review of an excellent light. I happen to like the battery pack, not to revive that ridiculous tet-a-tet. :lol:
    Here's mine in good company:

Flashaholic

I hope your Olight SR90 lasts longer than mine did. Turn it on and it goes dim in about 10 seconds, with a big hole in the center of the beam. Both batteries checked our OK on another light. This light was one of the early ones. Called Battery Junction and they gave me an RMA. BJ said that after they check it out, it will have to go back to China. Could take 3 to 4 months or longer. Lucky I have a TK 70 to hold me over.
    Dave

Well I only got mine less than two months ago and used it a few times. So far so good. Can't say the same for my TM11 which has died. But since getting the polarion abyss, I don't use the plight much

I could afford one if someone sold me a used one at a discounted price, but at retail i would just be wasting money.
    My Lights -- Olight S20 Baton XM-L 470 Lumens
    Olight M20 Warrior 2010 320 Lumens
    Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 120 Lumen 3C,
    Fenix E-15

Unenlightened

Must admit I just received mine 2 days ago and its great all i have to do is keep my sons hands of it..

Quote Originally Posted by dwminer View Post
    I hope your Olight SR90 lasts longer than mine did. Turn it on and it goes dim in about 10 seconds, with a big hole in the center of the beam. Both batteries checked our OK on another light. This light was one of the early ones. Called Battery Junction and they gave me an RMA. BJ said that after they check it out, it will have to go back to China. Could take 3 to 4 months or longer. Lucky I have a TK 70 to hold me over.
    Dave
    How can I you tell whether the model I have is "old" or a "new" version of the SR90?

I have the Fenix TK70 as well to keep me going and now use it more than the SR90 anyhow (more versatile and powerful).

I also love my "stubbie" Thrunite TN31 thrower at 1147 lumens single LED, 3 x 18650 Li-Ions, 6 light levels plus strobe including moonlight mode and fits in my back pocket but you know it is there!!

I am just interested in how much difference there would be in using the earlier SR90 and a newer manufactured one, mine is less than 12 months old.

Cheers
    ONCE YOU START COLLECTING LIGHTS THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oztorchfreak View Post
    How can I you tell whether the model I have is "old" or a "new" version of the SR90?
    Short answer is that you can't - the lights look the same (externally)

There has been a lot of discussion here on CPF of how variable the SR90 can be in overall output. I've tried to address this in my newer SR95 review, but it bears repeating in this thread as well.

First off, here is a table showing how my estimate lumens stack up against manufacturer specs. You will note my SR90 (which was an early review sample) is something of an outlier:

I believe this can be easily explained by the wide output range used for SST-90 emitter binning by Luminus. We are all used to Cree bins that typically only differ by a consistent ~7% over each bin range. In constrast, Luminus uses a variable bin range, sometimes exceeding a 20% difference within a given bin. That's a lot more variability, and means two lights with emitters from the same bin could be as much as 20% different in output. Moreover, the availability of a specific bin is never guaranteed by the light manufacturer - it is quite possible that they have had to use more than one defined output bin over the production run of the SR90. If so, that would translate into potentially up ~40% difference between samples.

You will note that my SR95 is at least 40% brighter overall than my early model SR90. Given that runtime on a common battery is not all that different, that would suggest the output gain has come from use of a higher output bin and not by driving the emitter harder. Given the variability reported for SR90 output, I strongly suspect that two different output bins were used over time. You could thus expect anywhere between ~1-40% difference between any two SR90 samples. My SR90 is likely just a lower performing member of the lower (inital) output bin used.

See the discussion thread from my SR95 review for more info.

Thanks Selfbuilt for the information.

Not an easy thing to find out it seems.

It is not like looking somewhere on the SR90 for a number or batch no or otherwise.

Another one of "Lifes Mysteries".

Keep up the good work as one of our main lighting teachers out there.

Cheers
    ONCE YOU START COLLECTING LIGHTS THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT.

Enlightened

It's been 2 years since my SR-90 purchase. It's still as bright as ever.

I give it quite a workout at the local uncontrolled airport. As we drive around on the golf cart and look for animals once or twice a week. The light seems to last a full hour on bright without any problems. I've never run it out.

I have noticed that the charge indicator only shows 3 LED's when fully charged. So, I suspect my battery is getting weak. However, performance remains perfect. Since the batteries are relatively inexpensive now ($75 is the cheapest I've seen) , I'll probably replace the battery soon.

I'm still very satisfied, and I expect many more years of excellent performance.
    SR-90, a couple of Surefire toys and a good number of LED lamps of all sorts

Buttrock Re: Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

MY SR90 keeps takin a lickin and keeps on tickin too.

We just finished a search and rescue last night, and it was about the only light that still had a charge on it when we got back after ~ 2 hours of searching. I bought it used, dedeomed it, and use it regularly....and it still charges to 4 lights pretty quickly...and lasts a long time on a charge.

The VPT2 Turbo on the same search petered out after maybe an hr. The Fenix TK70 cells were down to a trickle, but it still lit at least. The HIDs die off in minutes not hours typically, and so forth. The SR90 has been a very useful search and rescue light.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast