Olight
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

Default Re: The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

Wow...I really like the styling on these...especially the Kel-lights...Ever get 2 of 1 model and look into to revamping it? I bet the Grendel Lite could do some damage with a xenon bulb! Like a 7D Magnum Star xenon!!! (If it doesn't melt first). Nice lights there abotamat!

Flashaholic*

Wow, brings back memories. My 3-D large head Kel-lite was bombproof, but it suffered alkaline leakage when ignored. The first time, I was able to order parts and rebuild it. Last time, I gave up and it was tossed.

I recall the 7-D Bianci B-lite I ordered; might still be at Dad's house somewhere.

I recall a 4-D Herrett's Hi-lite, too.

Well, at least now I know where Kel-light vanished to.

Thanks.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

great collection really shows alot how much the flash light industry has changed

Nice!

When I take out my 2C Kel-lite on the odd occasion and feed it 2 NiCDs I can't help but feel all nostalgic
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Man, long time no post. I took all these pictures right when I met my new girlfriend, so I hope you can forgive me for spending the last two years with her instead playing with my flashlights. But we didn't work out in the end, so while I figure out the meaning of life you guys are going to get pics of THE REST OF THE COLLECTION. That's right--I have much more.

Stay tuned. Actually, I haven't been really into vintage lights for about three years now, so at some point I'm going to need to to find a new home for all this lot.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

It is like a stroll down memory lane! Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Unenlightened

Hi Abtomat. I just came across my old Grendelite A2 body, 2 battery hold subassemblies, parts, manuals, etc. I would like to refurbish it to working condition. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dbkraemer View Post
    Hi Abtomat. I just came across my old Grendelite A2 body, 2 battery hold subassemblies, parts, manuals, etc. I would like to refurbish it to working condition. Any thoughts?
    Thoughts? If you have the stuff I don't see any reason not to fix it. They're rare. I don't like mine as a flashlight but it looks interesting on the shelf.

Moving on...

Pro-Light 6D, large-head model in the box. Metal tube with plastic head. Quite rare in this head size--possibly the largest reflector put in one of these lights:

Mag-Lite 3C from 1981. The box says "Large Head" on it--I believe early on Mag had multiple head options, but I've never seen one:

Streamlight Kel-Lite II 2D. Early Kel-based Streamlight. This one in a rare "Camo Lite" model with woodland anodizing:

Even rarer for having a D-ring tailcap:

Another camo Streamlight Kel-Lite II D-ring, this time in 4D:

Tail end:

Streamlight Kel-Lite II 2D. Plain back with flat tail:

Streamlight 3D SL-3DX. This was one of the last Kel-Lite based Streamlight models. Still made in Barstow:

Same light, out of the package. Streamlight did make an early run of these with Mag-eqsue lettering around the head. I've never owned one but you can imagine that didn't last long:

Back when people still remembered what a Kel-Lite was:

I believe that's it for my flashlight collection proper. Next up we'll have some photos of the parts and accessories.

okay, I have to ask,where do you source such lights..? amazing collection ABTOMAT!thanks for sharing & btw, is that "large Head" M@g's head really larger than that or regular mags?

Quote Originally Posted by N10 View Post
    okay, I have to ask,where do you source such lights..? amazing collection ABTOMAT!thanks for sharing & btw, is that "large Head" M@g's head really larger than that or regular mags?
    In the past, CPF, eBay, Craigslist, gun boards, etc. I stopped collecting a few years ago since newer collectors throw money around and I was on a budget. I'm going to sell mine sooner or later and probably come out pretty well.

That Mag has the standard head size we all know. From what I've read, really early on you could get a small head model.

Thanks for sharing your awesome collection.
    "NASA Houston, We've got a problem, do you copy?"
    "Roger, Apollo 13, we copy. Shut down power and use your flashlights for light."

You're welcome.

These are a pair of Kel-Lite chargers that would have been used with the tailcap on my 4D light on the first page. They didn't sell too many of those, so you don't see many of these. Kel-Lite was distributed by Safariland for quite some time:

Streamlight chargers, for the SL-15 and SL-20. You'll notice the middle one has the very early Streamlight logo:

Pro-Light chargers. Similar to Streamlight's:

And here's one that doesn't exactly fit the vintage police light theme, but it's interesting regardless. Charger and charging tailcap for the Streamlight Jr. It works a lot like the old Kel-Light charger--I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the idea came from:

Flashaholic

Good to see you back.

Thanks, it's been a while.

Another item not directly connection related. Mini Mag bulbs from the '80s. Old style packaging and graphics:

Federal traffic cones for the C-cell Kel-Lites. They work pretty well and are surprisingly head duty:

This is the box and spare parts that came with the ASP baton adapter for the 7C Streamlight on the first page:

Something you don't see every day. But what is it?

...A Kel-Lite armorer's kit:

Full of all kinds of goodies:

I've seen two on eBay. Not cheap:

Not sure how complete mine is:

Streamlight 3D SL-3DX. This was one of the last Kel-Lite based Streamlight models. Still made in Barstow:

Late-model knurled tailcaps. I think these were standard on the early pushbutton models. I don't own one of those:

Kel-Lite didn't just make flashlights. They also had a small line of police accessories. Batons, reusable plastic target ammo, and an interesting revolver speedloader:

Kel-Lite Firepower. Pouch by Tex Shoemaker, although I think the pouches were made by different companies along the line:

The actual speedloader is molded rubber:

The cartridge casings snap into the cavities in the rubber. When you load the gun you peel the rubber bit off:

Yoou know whats amazing to me All the stuff like SS bezels,bodies that can be adjusted to different numbers of cells,pocket clips and crenellated bezel rings? Its all stuff we on CPF look at as new and cool and innovative but its all been done before!!!! Some of those lights looks like modern creations!!!

All that stuff was done long before these lights were made, too, as far as I know. Technology as a way of going around. Other than LEDs and integrated switches, the "modern" alkaline-cell flashlight hasn't changed all that in 40 years or so.

Here's an original Streamlight SL-15 replacement lamp. This probably was the first machined and potted flashlight bulb. One reason Streamlight's lights destroyed the old D/C cell police light market:

Random B-Lite parts. Not quite as impressive as the Kel-Lite kit, but interesting regardless:

Super B-Lite head. The design is unique among older flashlights in that the switch is located in the wasted space behind the reflector. I think Streamlight later went that route with their Stinger:

One of my other hobbies (that I need much more practice at) is machining. Before I got my first Kel-Lite Judo Head tailcap a few years ago, I tried to make a replica based off measurements from a fellow collector. Turned out OK for a beginner project but I botched the threading.

Nope, no new pics. But another first in a long time--collection got smaller today as I traded away the two Magchargers for some non-vintage stuff.

So that takes me down to a measly 79.
    Last edited by ABTOMAT; 06-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.

They'll be in good hands. You do have an awesome collection. Which is your favorite ? Most precious ?

Thanks. Favorite's probably the 26" Batonlite. Just something funny about that much whack in flashlight. Not sure about most precious, exactly. Either the 4D Kel-Lite that started the collection or the trashed 5D with all the police stories behind it.

Well, for years I've been telling myself "you're done collecting," "you've spent too much money," "time to go straight and sell everything off," and now tonight I couldn't hold back and I bought one of the rarest and most interesting vintage police lights ever made.

Stay tuned.

Unenlightened

Wow. Awesome collection! There's always room for one more!

I look forward to seeing what you have.

AJ

Even thought I'm basically done collecting I couldn't pass this up. I now have a Cold Steel Brute! It's a super-heavy-duty 7AA flashlight made around 1990. Has a small fan following on CPF, or at least did a few years ago. And contrary to most old police light literature that hinted "hey, you might be able to use this as a baton," the Brute was sold as "You're supposed to hit people with this."

Here's a pic of the ad. I'll get pics later today. Looks perfect.

I looked through all your pictures but did not see this one. I have this 7D I received from my dad a long time ago.

7D Kel-Lite with a silver 4D Mag

Is this considered the Large head Kel?
    Last edited by Fresh Light; 06-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Yup, that's a large-head from the late '70s. Kel-Lites were available in all combinations of lengths and head sizes during their production.

Thanks. I took somebody's advice a while back and through in a mag 6D bulb cause the 7D ones aren't so easy to find. Other than something like your baton Lites, this has got to be one of the biggest and heaviest clubs. You have an amazing collection, btw.