diy protected cell?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone ever added a protection pcb to an unprotected cell???

i have few dozens of unprotected cells, i also saw few cites selling pcb for 18xxx cells, pcbs are cheap, i don't mind rewraping cells.
so has anyone done it, or saw someone else do it???
i wonder how difficult would it be to diy

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have transferred a dead batts protection to a new cell item. was easy.
I also use the cells protection "off-cell" using the same connections, but just tossed in between the battery and charge plug or drivers or DD leds..

discharge the cell first (like 3V), because working with them making packs or adding in a conduction strip , the possibility of a short exists with the 2 poles brought so close to eachother, so many times.

i also have used a copper wire flattened on an anvil, to make thin connections, just because i thought that a copper strip would be better conductor. it just needed to be flatter :)

insulate insulate isolate. because your running a pole right next to the other pole item, simple plastic insulation is not enough, thin cardboard instead doesnt "punch through" when crushed, or overheated.
it is not sufficient to use just 2 layers of battery shrink wrap (under over), cardboard wont pop open, streak open, melt, tear and move away.

check out the dissasembled AW pics LuxLuthor posted, to see all the places they stuff in insulation and protection to insure even a dropped or bashed cell doesnt short.

battery shrink wrap is easy and cheap, works good with a heat gun, wont shrink well with a hair dryer :-( in a pinch the stove will work, but just like regular heat shrink it will melt through to easily. without a heatgun it is nothing but trouble. oh that was a gas stove , mabey that is why its not so easy :) (note: dont do flames, very stupid)

stuff from the garage :) will get it done, like a washer kit leftover from plumbing has those hard cardboard washers in it, and neopreme/rubber washers insulate, also o-rings. any of those will give you the seperator between the battery and the curcuit. the hard carboard being best.
Old electronics like busted stereos and other tech junk often has that Hard thin carboard type insulators in them between the boards and the metal cases the electronics are in. cut into a strip that stuff can do the strip insulation.

they also use those yellow insulation strips you see in electronics, they are more flexable and usefull but still can poke through and i dont like it as much.

Last edited: