MH-C9000 Newbie Needs Help With Basic Settings

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm a newly evolved flashaholic and don't really have any knowledge about batteries.
I got a MH-C9000 WizardOne charger with Powerex 2700 rechargeables. Since I don't have any technical understanding of all the spec jargon yet,I would really like it if someone could give me a set of basic settings to use.
What I mean is, for each mode...I would like a good basic setting level to enter in until I get more experienced...a good set of beginner settings.
Any help would be appreciated...Thanks.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, ouchyfoot :)

We have a section of the forum set aside for Battery-related questions, so I'm moving your thread there - I'm sure someone will help with your question.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
To charge (AA) batteries use the default 1000 mA charge rate.

To discharge batteries and measure their capacity, use 500 mA.

For a break-in cycle, enter the capacity as 2700 mAh (or 2000 mA for Eneloops).

Last edited:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
Hi. I'm a newly evolved flashaholic and don't really have any knowledge about batteries...
:welcome: Please CLICK on my Sig Line LINK and READ, READ, READ... :)

...I got a MH-C9000 WizardOne charger with Powerex 2700 rechargeables. Since I don't have any technical understanding of all the spec jargon yet,I would really like it if someone could give me a set of basic settings to use.
What I mean is, for each mode...I would like a good basic setting level to enter in until I get more experienced...a good set of beginner settings.
Any help would be appreciated...Thanks.
  1. To charge (AA) batteries use the default 1000 mA charge rate.

To discharge batteries and measure their capacity, use 500 mA.

For a break-in cycle, enter the capacity as 2700 mAh (or 2000 mA for Eneloops).
  2. For AAA batteries (if/when you get some) then use 4-500 mA for charging and 200 mA for discharging/capacity check.
ouchyfoot,

I thought the following reply, that I recently came across on the AVS: LCD Flat Panel Displays forum, was both polite and to-the-point:

SUBJECT: Could anyone assist me in choosing an HDTV?

MrBobb on AVS said:
If u come here, or go into a store and be all passive about the purchase, which sounds like you are, then you are likely to fall for anything from whoever happens to reply to you.

These forums work best when u spend time to read the many posts and decide for yourself what is most suitable for your needs.
Reference: AVS Post #5
After you've finished your "Reading Assignment", please feel free to ask me any other 'Newbie' questions. ;)

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
Thanks TakeTheActive...I did study that page while I was waiting for my charger to arrive. Too much information for a newbie. After reading all the posts ...I was afraid to plug it in...overcharging...explosions...problems with batteries.
I'm okay now though. Thanks Mr Happy...it seems that the charger knew what to do all by it's self.
...new surefire 2700mAh...break in ...discharge...charge...came in just over 2400mAh
...old energizer 2200mAh...came in just over 2200mAh.
What's with that???
A friend sent me this battery comparison link...it might be a tad old but it looks solid. Scroll down a bit for the battery ratings.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Last edited:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
Thanks TakeTheActive...I did study that page while I was waiting for my charger to arrive. Too much information for a newbie...
Well...

Maintaining *NEW* (Current Manufacture) NiMH cells with a *MODERN* SMART Charger/Analyzer isn't 'Rocket Science', compared to the older (NiCD/NiMH non-LSD) cells and "PRE BC-900" Chargers. :rolleyes:
[Reviving *CRAP* (OLD, NEGLECTED, *MISTREATED*) NiCD/NiMH cells IS the challenge! ;) I refer you back to AVS Post #5 :eek: ]

...After reading all the posts ...I was afraid to plug it in...overcharging...explosions...problems with batteries...
IM H O, all the *AVERAGE* Newbie really has to do is RTFM. :poke:

*IF* you still have the incentive to learn more, you can:
  1. GOOGLE. :huh:
    *OR*
  2. MANUALLY *SEARCH* the CPF Archives yourself. :sweat:
The purpose of my Sig Line FAQ :)help: TTA's Picks for Best Answers to Rechargeable Battery Questions) is to SAVE YOU from any MANUAL EFFORT. :thumbsup:

heed experiance; follow a masters advice and TTA's links... you won't be disappointed.
regards,
a noob

When I arrived here, I was 'Technically Competent', but 'Rechargeable NiCD/NiMH Cell Illiterate'. And, similar to my personal experience on *MANY* other forums, I found the SAME questions being 'asked-and-answered' over-and-over-and-over... :tinfoil:

Thus, I decided to 'Pitch In', create my own 'Newbie's List of Best Answers' and put a LINK to it in my Sig Line. Eventually, it became a LINK in the MAIN STICKY: Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included - Threads of Interest :D

*NEW* (Current Manufacture) NiCD/NiMH cells in *MODERN* SMART Chargers don't often OVERCHARGE / *EXPLODE* (except for the recent La Crosse BC-9009 fiasco :oops:, La Crosse BC-700/BC-900/BC-9009 Charger 'Meltdown' Reports {2010}), so, IMHO (again!), your worries regarding the C9000 are unwarranted. :eek:

...I'm okay now though. Thanks Mr Happy...it seems that the charger knew what to do all by it's self...

YOUR charger (C9000) knew *NOTHING* "...all by it's self..." - left to it's own DEFAULTS, it will PROPERLY charge 2000mAh AAs @ 1000mA (0.5C) and *IMPROPERLY* charge 800mAh AAAs @ 1000mA (1.25C!). It's up to *YOU*, THE HUMAN, to properly determine the settings. :sssh:

...new surefire 2700mAh...break in ...discharge...charge...came in just over 2400mAh
...old energizer 2200mAh...came in just over 2200mAh.
What's with that???
'Asked-and-Answered'... :eek:

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
..... Maintaining *NEW* (Current Manufacture) NiMH cells with a *MODERN* SMART Charger/Analyzer isn't 'Rocket Science'.....

IM H O, all the *AVERAGE* Newbie really has to do is RTFM.

*IF* you still have the incentive to learn more, you can:
  1. GOOGLE. :huh:
    *OR*
  2. MANUALLY *SEARCH* the CPF Archives yourself.
Oh dear...

I see we have a "newbie snob", or a self-proclaimed "silly question Nazi" on this forum. What a pity that TTA couldn't simply answer ouchyfoot's legitimate queries in a more polite and reasonable manner, and without this inherent patronising of a newbie.

TWO lengthy posts from TTA with all sorts of fancy fonts and colours and formatting! How long did it take you to set all that up mate? Why not simply answer the question and save some bandwidth?

As a fellow newbie, I'm really concerned about how I'll be treated if I have the temerity to ask an alleged and apparently (according to TTA) "stupid question".

In part, TAT also says 'When I arrived here, I was "Technically Competent"'. That may well have been the case, and I have no issue with that statement. But the "old hands" around here need to understand that a lot of us (like me and ouchyfoot) may NOT be. I didn't see any prerequisites in the site's T&Cs that says you must be technically competent in order to join.

As a newbie here, I'm also somewhat surprised that the moderators allow disrespectful responses like that of TTA. I'll be interested to see if any of them comment on the way this thread is turning out.

—Jack. :)

Tuikku

Enlightened
Oh dear...

I see we have a "newbie snob", or a self-proclaimed "silly question Nazi" on this forum. What a pity that TTA couldn't simply answer ouchyfoot's legitimate queries in a more polite and reasonable manner, and without this inherent patronising of a newbie.

TWO lengthy posts from TTA with all sorts of fancy fonts and colours and formatting! How long did it take you to set all that up mate? Why not simply answer the question and save some bandwidth?

As a fellow newbie, I'm really concerned about how I'll be treated if I have the temerity to ask an alleged and apparently (according to TTA) "stupid question".

In part, TAT also says 'When I arrived here, I was "Technically Competent"'. That may well have been the case, and I have no issue with that statement. But the "old hands" around here need to understand that a lot of us (like me and ouchyfoot) may NOT be. I didn't see any prerequisites in the site's T&Cs that says you must be technically competent in order to join.

As a newbie here, I'm also somewhat surprised that the moderators allow disrespectful responses like that of TTA. I'll be interested to see if any of them comment on the way this thread is turning out.

—Jack. :)

But still I think post #4 gave very short & simple answer to question.
I bet it took also less time to write than these others with fonts and colors ;)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jack,

The only stupid question on this section of the forum is the one that is not asked.

You may find a variety of responses to your questions that you will have to sort through, but don't be afraid of asking questions. Some of the answers will be more direct than others, but sometimes the more colorful answers offer greater depth.

I don't think you read what Take the Active wrote, at least you didn't understand what he wrote if you did read it. He said that while he was technically competent he was rechargeable battery illiterate. This prompted him to put together some links that may be helpful to those asking some of the more common questions.

While his style is a little on the flamboyant side, I don't think he deserves the name calling of "newbie snob" or "silly question nazi." While his style is to point you to links of where previous discussions have taken place, others will provide a more direct answer. This sandbox is big enough for many types to play in.

Please play nice and leave the name calling out of the discussion.

Tom

Ohmic

Newly Enlightened
Having myself been the recipient of a nice multi-coloured reply from TTA, In this case I can only agree with TTA, I got what I deserved.

I posted a basic question, and it turns out that TTA's great write ups are actually there for a reason, and I can only blame myself for being lazy and not searching properly.

Upon reading TTA's informative and very well written articles, every single technical question I had in my mind had been thoroughly answered.

Big thanks to TTA and all others who have written great articles.

In this case I don't think anyone is a 'newbie snob', if anything, TTA has probably had enough of the same questions over and over when all the questions have been answered before.

I'm a newbie too, and now I no longer fear any sort of bad reactions when I post a question, because I thoroughly search CPF before posting to make sure it already hasn't been asked.

You'd be amazed how many threads/questions I was going to start, now because I use the search function and read the FAQ's, I no longer need to.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I have pointed this out before, TTA is not a spoon feeder. he is a real thinker & tester and has limited patience for those who appear to not want to think or test. I for one will gladly accept that (attitude, standard, whatever you want to call it) in exchange for his valuable work that he shares with all of us.

Think of him at the old man that yells, "get off my lawn!" when you are a little kid, but gives you beer and playboys when you become a teenager :thumbsup:

K31th

Newly Enlightened
I have pointed this out before, TTA is not a spoon feeder. he is a real thinker & tester and has limited patience for those who appear to not want to think or test. I for one will gladly accept that (attitude, standard, whatever you want to call it) in exchange for his valuable work that he shares with all of us.

Think of him at the old man that yells, "get off my lawn!" when you are a little kid, but gives you beer and playboys when you become a teenager :thumbsup:

Love the analogy!!! :D:D:D