Advice for medical device build

tryfan

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all -

We currently use lasers in our clinic for patients to attach to their head and project onto a wall 90cm in front of them. They then trace out patterns etc. with the laser beam. This helps those with neck pain to recover quicker.

We are looking for a non-laser method because there are certain restrictions regards using a laser that does not have a momentary on off switch. There are also issues around using lasers in NHS clinics.

So my question: is it possible to have a 'normal' torch that can be focussed onto a wall at 90cm ? The resulting spot of light would have to be less than 1cm diameter. If it is red, even better, it could be seen in the daylight. But it would have to be non-laser.

Obviously it would need to be small and lightweight (to attach to the patient's head.)

Thank you all very much indeed for your time in advance, I look forward to your answers,

regards

Chris

cimino

Newly Enlightened
Bah, stupid government restrictions. A laser sounds like the perfect device for this task.

I'm sure it's possible to focus down a flashlight to a small point, but maybe a better idea would be to retrofit a low power laser pointer with a momentary button connected to a long lead that the patient holds in their hand?

Archie Cruz

Banned
try LED lenser
Hello to all -

We currently use lasers in our clinic for patients to attach to their head and project onto a wall 90cm in front of them. They then trace out patterns etc. with the laser beam. This helps those with neck pain to recover quicker.

We are looking for a non-laser method because there are certain restrictions regards using a laser that does not have a momentary on off switch. There are also issues around using lasers in NHS clinics.

So my question: is it possible to have a 'normal' torch that can be focussed onto a wall at 90cm ? The resulting spot of light would have to be less than 1cm diameter. If it is red, even better, it could be seen in the daylight. But it would have to be non-laser.

Obviously it would need to be small and lightweight (to attach to the patient's head.)

Thank you all very much indeed for your time in advance, I look forward to your answers,

regards

Chris