Battery type

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
I am a little confused on battery type. Is there a sticky somewhere that might help me out.

What is the difference between CR2 and 123.

What are the other numbered batteries. Like what's the equivalent "Letter" size for the 18650 and many other "numbered" batteries.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Track Terror.

We have a whole sub-forum that deals with battery-related questions. I'll move your thread there now.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am a little confused on battery type. Is there a sticky somewhere that might help me out.

What are the other numbered batteries. Like what's the equivalent "Letter" size for the 18650 and many other "numbered" batteries.

The CR123 and CR2 batteries has the same voltage but different size.

The 5 digit number specify the size of the battery, around here it is mostly used for LiIon batteries. Some of the 5 digits numbers match the size of other types of batteries (AA=14500, AAA=10440, CR123=16340).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

most 5 digit battery types the first two numbers are the approx diameter in mm with the last 3 the approx length in mm. the 123 batteries are "A" size in diameter that is why they are called 123A by some manufacturers. The CR2 is very close to the AA in diameter perhaps slightly larger and about half as long.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
most 5 digit battery types the first two numbers are the approx diameter in mm with the last 3 the approx length in mm. the 123 batteries are "A" size in diameter that is why they are called 123A by some manufacturers. The CR2 is very close to the AA in diameter perhaps slightly larger and about half as long.
The "0" at the end means a tubular or cylindrical shaped cell.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

In addition to the other useful information other's have provided, the 18650 cell is sometimes refered to as a "4/3 (four thirds) Fat A" cell. The actual original "A" size cell being a 17500, which as HKJ pointed out means a cell which is 17mm in diameter, 50mm in length, and is cylindrical (0) in shape. The 18650 being 18mm in diameter and 65mm in length, is a bit fater, and is 4/3 the length of an "A" cell.

EDIT: It is also interesting to note that a "CR123A" cell is a cylindrical (C) lithium chemistry (R) one two thirds (123) "A" cell.

This chart from PowerStream, may help you out a bit.

Dave

Last edited: