See smoke when discharging batteries

Firehawk1227

Newly Enlightened
First, I apologize if this is the wrong section for posting. I searched up battery charger and got hits in this sections.

Okay, this is my first smart charger and read that if I want to optimize my NiCD battery, I have to discharge it first and then charge it.

So I set everything up, begin to discharge when I see a little bit of white smoke coming out of the fan in the back and then I smell it as well. It smells like burnt wires, very close to charcoal when lit.

Is this normal when discharging a NiCD? I don't know because it's my first time. There is no smell when charging the battery, only if I discharge.

Battery is Sanyo 9.6V 1600mAh 8 cell

This is a BOL Data charger, like this:
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=3128

Thanks guys!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep , sounded like : little bit of white smoke coming out of the fan in the back

Hmmm , I dont think that is supposed to happen ..

I think you might want to send it back .

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
at $90 i would send it back, or check if the total watts of discharge i set it for was a bit high. they all have limits.

when discharging they unload the power into resistive items in the charger itself. (HEAT waste)
the first time that gets hit with power , it can stink when it burns in, but it shouldnt smoke or smell like burning wires, burning wire smell around here is always a precursor to something going very wrong. and it dont smell like charcoal, it smells like dying tech junk :)

There have been Many cases reported where the high heat parts are not fully and properly settled on thier heat sync, or thermal compound is wrong or missing. But that would be on very cheap charger things.

When wires burn or smoke comes out, or even lots more stench than normal, it could be a heat syncing issue easily.
Being really cheap users just crack them open and manually get a bit of rearanging going and thermal compound. just to perfect the design that was slopped out.
it is possible if it is still working, to look and see, if you had nothing to Lose, $90 is a lot to lose.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what kind of discharge load it is. If it is an open coil of resistance wire then it is normal for a bit of smoke to come off the first time it is used. If it happened just the once and not again, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Firehawk1227

Newly Enlightened
Okay, thank you guys so much. I was so scared when it started to smoke because the news would always have tragic stories with people and rechargeable batteries and I didn't want my the battery or charger to blow up in my face.

I think I will discharge a full battery in the garage and see how it goes. If it still smokes, I will return the charger immediately.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. Love you!lovecpf

EDIT:: I just reread the manual again and says that it discharges at 5A if that means anything.

Last edited: