Maxpedition - Knives and Tools

Thread: too lazy to change reflector

Default too lazy to change reflector

I still have a bunch of old brinkman lux 1 headlamps that I never modded. I tried a cree and seoul, but learned that the reflector needed replacing, cause the beam would get too difuse, ringing, and less throwy than the lesser lumen led. I just didn't fancy changing every reflector. And wasn't impressed with the throw of the rough reflector I matched with the seoul.

But what would a rebel, xpe, or xpg beam look like when used in the old lux1 reflector.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: too lazy to change reflector

The Rebel has a bit narrower beam angle than the Lux I, so it will tend to have more spill and less spot. The K2 will have a nearly identical beam pattern and should give a very similar beam, just brighter.

Several places sell them, Futureelectronics.com. cpf r Phonton Fanatic, I think LED Dynamics, and some others.
    Homebuilts - "BREEZE" RCR2 sidexside, "Tornado" 4 x 18650 side x side, Streamlight SL20x LED module (Custom BST Feeler Thread)

Default Re: too lazy to change reflector

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    I still have a bunch of old brinkman lux 1 headlamps that I never modded. I tried a cree and seoul, but learned that the reflector needed replacing, cause the beam would get too difuse, ringing, and less throwy than the lesser lumen led. I just didn't fancy changing every reflector. And wasn't impressed with the throw of the rough reflector I matched with the seoul.

But what would a rebel, xpe, or xpg beam look like when used in the old lux1 reflector.
    The Rebel, XP-E, XP-G and even Seoul P4 would work very well in the Lux 1 reflector; provided u get the focus height correct. The beam should be identical to the old lux 1 beam, only maybe the XP-G will have a 50% larger hotspot.

The trick is getting the new LEDs to be at the correct focus height, some shimming is required.