How many mW does a 5W put out? Or lux to mW ?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering how many mW of output does say a 5W cyan put out? Or is there a way to convert Lux to mW?

This would be for say an over driven 5w. Say one making ~12,000 lux with a reflector...?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mW a milli-watt. Milli means 1,000... so in a five watt LS, being driven at five watts, it should be 5,000mW.

mW's are a measure of electricity not light output.... but they are indirectly related.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
mW can be either. My red laser says Output: <5mW.
I'm wondering how many mW of output power...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think light is sometimes converted back into energy by some measurement devices. I believe this to be the case, for example, with measuring hand held consumer lasers to make sure that they stay below the 5 mW limit.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I seem to remember that the power rateing of a laser is the INPUT power to the laser.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my laser says: Max Output: <5mW. Maybe it's meaning the output of it's power supply to the laser is less than 5mW.

But wait, wasn't there a discusion on the mW output of the 2Watt Nichia UV led's? And the InReTech adapter. I remember there was some confusion on the exact power output of these...

Someone has to know..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't know any conversion formulae - but somebody around here knows. I used to have a formula for getting power (in milliwatts) from a monochrome source like a non-white visible LED or a visible laser when the source was shone at a silicon solar cell connected to a DMM set to read milliamps. I don't know what to do about white LEDs though. Guess you're stuck with mcd for those. :toliet:

As for invisible or near-invisible sources like IR and UV LEDs, it's standard to measure in mW output, rather than in mcd. That's reserved primarily for visible LEDs.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Kinda like a 60W light bulb....60W of 120vac applied to the filiment of the bulb.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I'll look in Lumiled's data sheet for the 5w RB luxeon. It's rated in mW. That should be pretty close to a Cyan right? Of course it will be higher for an overdriven one, but I'm just looking for approx idea..

Edit: Says 600mW Typical for dental Luxeon. So would an over-driven Cyan be around at least 700mW's?

Tomas

Banned
Whoa!

The power output of a conversion device (in this case an LED) is (efficency) X (input power)

This applies to loudspeakers, lightbulbs, electric motors, LEDs, ray guns, transistors, lasers, generators (mechanical to electrical) or anything else that converts one sort of power to another.

So, what's the efficiency of a high-efficiency LED? Let's say about 20%, OK? That means a 20% efficient, 5W LED will put out 1W of light energy plus a lot of heat (the other 4W).
disco.gif

Next!

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
WTT for "ray gun." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tomas, I thought LSs were ~ 8% efficient?

Larry

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 5W royal blue puts out 500mW (on average) of radiometric power at 450nm.

Luxeons are only about 10-15% efficient.

Tomas

Banned
I plucked a number out of the air for my 20% just to give an example, Larry. Somewhere, in one of the first posts I made on CPF, I posted a table of lighting efficiencies from a textbook. I honestly don't recall what they were - my memory no longer stores that sort of data like it used to. Having large holes in one's brain sucks.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Tomas,
I too have been diagnosed with acute and chronic CRS- Can't Remember Sh!t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

Tomas

Banned
Heheheheh .... But can you actually SEE yours with a CAT scan, Larry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
disco.gif

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif