• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Do I need a new McGizmo?

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
Not a great place to post a question like this here is it? The answer will always be yes ;)
I bought an LS20 a year or two ago. One of the last. I love it. But at the time, didn't really know how great it was. Since then I have bought a few Lummi's ( including Da Raw and Wee), a mini Chimera and a Spy 007 (now sold, just too much invested).

But I still rate the LS highest. Light, Ti, workmanship, style. It looks and feels like it is from another world. Even non-flashlight people want to touch it.

As an edc it is just too long though. Just an inch. Don't get me wrong. It's a keeper. But can I get something of the same standard just a little shorter?

I look at the photos here and can't quite tell. Haiku too long. Sundrop? Mule? PD-S? Not a Saphire though- nice but not my thing.

Thanks for your help

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
Ha! Thanks. :p

I have been rummaging about here today (its a holiday in England). I think I might like a Ti Mule (PD or Clicky), modded or not. What do you guys think. It looks a bit shorter than my LS 20. A side by side picture would be nice - I am using the clip as a scale...... and assume they are the same size on both :confused:

Is a Sundrop the same size as a Mule?????

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sundrop is a modified mule of sorts:

* High CRI Nichia LED
* Instead of an unmodified beam, there's a convex lens to create an even field of illumination.

If my memory serves me correctly, the lens is just a tad above the (domeless) LED, so you can't really swap it out to put a Cree or Seoul LE in there.

Then there's the Sundrop XR-U, comparison between it and the original Sundrop here.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Even non-flashlight people want to touch it.

As an edc it is just too long though. Just an inch. Don't get me wrong. It's a keeper.
:eek:oo:

Here, let me help you compare lengths... :green:

CIMG3920.jpg

:D

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not at home with my lights, but....

Ti mule is shorter - but no reflector or optic - flood only.

EN Al mule (clicky) - longer than Ti mule.

LS20 & Haiku right about the same size.

FWIW another custom guy who has his name very close to McGizmo, his Ti EDC is a little longer than Haiku, LS20.

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
:eek:oo:

Here, let me help you compare lengths... :green:

CIMG3920.jpg

:D

I love CPF.

Every now and again I run away as it costs too much money.

There is another CPF guy in the small village I live in and he knows a top light when he sees one :cool: The others just see something shiny

Now I just need a key.

From Left to right - the first 4 or 5 are what I am after in terms of size.

I suspect 8 is an LS20 confirming its length :green:

And my clip scale seems spot on.

So who can name 1 to 5 (or all 9) first.

I wish I lived in the States - would be in Texas on the 8th May (my Birthday).

Am Stormchasing in Colorado in June though. Need a good EDC for that.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I certainly don't have an answer for the question posed in the subject line and would recuse myself from attempting to answer it for obvious reasons. Perhaps even an opinion is out of line. :shrug: :thinking:

Feel free to discount or ignore my comments completely but I do feel at least entitled to an opinion here as a user if nothing more. :eek:

Personally, I have found the combination of the Sapphire which is always on me and the Haiku have replaced the LunaSol as my EDC and with greater versatility and range of illumination levels. Taking the Sapphire out of the picture makes it much more difficult to consider but I think I would prefer the Haiku stand alone, over the LunaSol 20. For that matter, I could see myself grabbing a SunDrop XR-U instead of the LunaSol even though it would not give me the range I could have with the LunaSol.

I am not sure I can see past my own bias and I certainly wouldn't ask someone else to do so but I have opinions just like the next guy! :nana:

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
I am remined of one of those many David Caridine/Master moments :twothumbs

Haiku/Sundrop/Mule?

Its about pocket fit for me.

I read somewhere I should ask for a Haiku LE in a Sundrop.......?

I think the line up picture helps. I just need to understand which one is which. Which is a Haiku? Sundrop? Mule?

jblackwood

Enlightened
I am not sure I can see past my own bias and I certainly wouldn't ask someone else to do so but I have opinions just like the next guy! :nana:

A welcome opinion! Thanks Don. I disagree whole-heartedly, but then again I only own the LS20 so there's MY particular bias rearing it's head. Every other light you mentioned is great, I'm sure, but there are so few lights that have two separate beam profiles (if only one level of illumination for each profile) on one light. I know you've said many times before you never look back and I can respect that. There's just no substitute in my arsenal for that one little light that does the work of two.

I'm going to have to acquire some more McGizmos in order to smoothen out that bias of mine, though. Yeah, in the interest of my own edification and nothing else . . . right! :crackup:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am remined of one of those many David Caridine/Master moments :twothumbs

Haiku/Sundrop/Mule?

I think the line up picture helps. I just need to understand which one is which. Which is a Haiku? Sundrop? Mule?

Haiku is #7 - the ribbed head.
LS20 is #8 I'm 95% sure
#1 & #2 I think are mules
#3 may be sundrop - I have the XR-U Sundrop which has a slightly longer head I think.
#4 & #5 I think are PDs

scout24

Flashaholic
#8 is a LS20 head on the Ti McClicky pak, if I am not mistaken. This adds a bit of length to the LS20, which may be good or bad, depending on your needs. Click on or off, twist to control level accessed by clicking. Also works as lockout if you loosen the head enough.

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I will try BST for a Mule. I guess it is a bit shorter as there is no reflector.

A Sundrop is next on my wish list.

fyrstormer

Banned
1. Aleph Mule, nickel-plated aluminum. No optics at all.
2. Arc6 on a McGizmo PD Pak.
3. Aleph Sundrop XR-U. Convex lense for slightly tighter beam, still not a thrower though.
4. McLux3-T. The twisty-only version of the PD-S. Short, but requires two hands and it's rarer than hens' teeth.
5. PD-S.
6. PD-XR19.
7. Aleph Haiku.
8. Lunasol 20 on a PD Clicky Pak. Slightly longer than your standard Lunasol 20.
9. The McGizmonster. Obviously out of the scope of your pocketable-EDC search.

Honestly, I think your best bet for a powerful tiny flashlight is to buy a PD Clicky Pak (aka a C-Pak) for your Lunasol, buy an Arc6, and put the Arc6 head in the vacant PD Pak that the Lunasol used to use. However, to that end I think you'd be better off buying a lightly-used Arc6 from someone here, because Arc seems to be having some fulfillment problems lately. When they work, they work really well, though.

Paa100

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you octaf. The man must know his needs, though. :wave:

I agree with you both. I love my LS20. Doesn't make my pockets bigger though ;)

Is a Sundrop PD or clickie? Have looked through the threads and can't seem to find it. A new ARC6, clicky pack and postage is close to a Sundrop price and not sure I could chop the head off the LS20 ....... Figuratively speaking of course ;)

what about a clickie with arc6 head if I can find one? My search for a mule is off to slow start.