When will we see a P60 style headlight?

Ace12

Enlightened
It would be nice to have a headlight that i can buy p60 style drop-in and just pop in in. That way you can have the beam of your choice and upgrade to a better emmiter when the technology changes. One of you flashlight makers need to jump on this. I'll buy the first one.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Im DYING to get my nailbender DUAL R2 XPG 4000k module
in a HEADLAMP....

or my SST50...

single 18650 is my preference..

oh man have I been waiting for one of these..

Jagge

Newly Enlightened
I have been using P60 dropin based headlamps for quite some time. But instead of dropping it in an additional body I have soldered wires directly to dropin and used dropin itself as lamps body. It it isn't that difficult to solder some wires, get head band and use something like hose clamp to attach the dropin to the head band. Lamp becomes more lightweight without additional body, works great if it doesn't need to be so waterproof you could submerge it. Currenly I have two p60 dropin headlamps in use, single P7 version and dual P7 headlamp (avatar). Both has been in use over an year now, both still going strong.

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
I was just thinking about this today. I want one, it sucks that I just threw away an old head lamp the other day, I might have been able to make that work. That said I have some ideas.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using P60 dropin based headlamps for quite some time. But instead of dropping it in an additional body I have soldered wires directly to dropin and used dropin itself as lamps body. It it isn't that difficult to solder some wires, get head band and use something like hose clamp to attach the dropin to the head band. Lamp becomes more lightweight without additional body, works great if it doesn't need to be so waterproof you could submerge it. Currenly I have two p60 dropin headlamps in use, single P7 version and dual P7 headlamp (avatar). Both has been in use over an year now, both still going strong.

whoa! thats kool!

if its not a hassle could you please post a couple pics (avatar is kinda small)

also, im wondering about heatsinking etc.

thanks!

:thumbsup:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I PMed him about it with no response.
Im sure he's busy with the triple XPG drop-ins
or something else cool ;)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa! thanks!!

that looks promising. I might have to buy one and
try modding it or send it to nailbender or milky or someone..

Id probably want to make a 1X 18650 batt holder and

put a UCL in there and some extra copper strips on the
pill.

Id still like something a little more buttoned down and
less macgyvered ;)

kayakjax

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a P60 headlamp, too.

I don't have great light-fabrication skills (yet), and would like to start with a higher quality starting point.

Any more options out there?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im thinking of ordering a couple of cheap
DX P7 modules and mounting them on
some piece of old bike part or something
and just using aligator clips on an 18650 in a
sandwich bag.. pretty ghetto.

no switch just put on the clip. I have some old
seatpost left overs n other ano aluminum bits.
or maybe get a couple of cheap
solarforce bezels n JBweld them at an angle off
a flat backing. Im so short on time these days and
would rather be outside than in the garage..

Id rather have a more elegant "out of the box"
type set up too though. maybe someday...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I've been asking for this very thing for about 2 years and so far nobody will take up the job.
A couple different people have played with the idea and made a prototype but at this point it's all vapor, old vapor at that.

This is a big market just floating around with nobody to take advantage of. You want flood, 15 seconds later you have you M60F beaming. You need some real distance? You just toss in your Deerelight R2 XR-E with smooth reflector and you're good.
The flexibility ensures that the product stays viable for years and yet there is no one with the gumption to give it a go and make some money.

:(

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the problem is a headband attachment method. Most headlights use a small plastic pivot hard to machine in aluminum. I just made a simple adapter for a Malkoff to attach to my bike helmet mount only because it uses a single bolt attachment. I posted pictures in the transportation / bike forum. If there are some headlight mounts that are similarly simple then maybe there is a way.
But the second problem is that the length of a P60 makes it hard to keep it small and mounted low in front of the forehead like an elastic band requires.

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
But the second problem is that the length of a P60 makes it hard to keep it small and mounted low in front of the forehead like an elastic band requires.

How about a headlamp housing with a more shallow reflector that at least accepts the P60 pills?

red02

Enlightened
Those old fulton angeled army lights seem like the best candidates.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually working on a dual P60 headlamp platform. Constructing something that is dual drop-in, dual switched, and still small and light is not overly simple, especially when it needs to be waterproof and rugged enough for real use. I do professional mineshaft exploration; so I'm working around it from that in mind as a "usable" aspect.

I'm actually working on it *right now* in solidworks, I just jumped on to check out some stuff for the internals. Haven't been on here in several months. Good to be back :D

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually working on a dual P60 headlamp platform. Constructing something that is dual drop-in, dual switched, and still small and light is not overly simple, especially when it needs to be waterproof and rugged enough for real use. I do professional mineshaft exploration; so I'm working around it from that in mind as a "usable" aspect.

I'm actually working on it *right now* in solidworks, I just jumped on to check out some stuff for the internals. Haven't been on here in several months. Good to be back :D

AWESOME!

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED!
:thumbsup:

joanne

Newly Enlightened

Oh sure you are....

Ok, so if you weren't so busy going into old, abandoned mines and making things go "Boom" it would already be done!
wink3.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing your headlamp in action. Are both LEDs going to be for throw or will it be flood/throw? You know that I'm always available for product testing. Hey, what are friend for? Right?

I'm currently playing around with some 18650x3 battery packs for my Apex Pros. I'm tired of running through the cr123 batteries every time we head out. I purchased an Accucel-6 charger and have 6 18650 cells from a laptop to make some "test" battery packs with. Next I'll order new, protected batteries and make my "real" battery packs.

I won't have lights as good as you and Speedy, but at least I'll get some decent run time and be able to recharge them.

Sorry I missed the last trip! It looks like it was a good one. We have to get you out to Delamar, hopefully before the snow starts flying!!

Joanne