Duraloops taunting me!

OCD

Enlightened
So I was killing time at Walgreens yesterday waiting for my passport photo :whistle: and ran across a 4 pack of white-top Duraloop AA's on sale for $10. I haven't been able to find any locally so I bought them. I really wanted to get set for my Quark AA Turbo, but since getting my RRT-0, my Quark has been relegated to bedside duty. For this limited use role, I bought some L91's for it. I told my wife I bought these Duraloops for our digital camera.

Long story short, they are sitting here next to my computer, in the package, screaming "put me in a light and enjoy some guilt-free lumens!":party: But if I do, the wife will tell me (with loads of sarcasm) "I thought those were for the camera!

Oh the anguish! :sigh:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello OCD,

You simply have to inform your wife that all the time spent on CPF has taught you about rechargeable batteries. You have learned that in order to take care of your batteries, you first need to break them in, then to keep them vibrant, you need to use them often.

One way to break them in is to use them in a flashlight. You are trying to get some charge/discharge cycles on them, and using them in a light is a good way to do that.

Also, tell your wife that you want to make sure that the batteries used in the camera are well matched. You don't want the camera crapping out at a time when you are trying to record a significant event. This requires running 30 - 50 cycles through your flashlight, and then some run time tests will help you match a set of cells for use in the camera.

Finally, when she sees through this thin veil of an argument, tell her that I put you up to it. That may take some of the heat off of you, but I think she probably knows that there is a little kid inside just wanting to play... :)

Good luck.

Tom

MarioJP

Enlightened
Hello OCD,

You simply have to inform your wife that all the time spent on CPF has taught you about rechargeable batteries. You have learned that in order to take care of your batteries, you first need to break them in, then to keep them vibrant, you need to use them often.

One way to break them in is to use them in a flashlight. You are trying to get some charge/discharge cycles on them, and using them in a light is a good way to do that.

Also, tell your wife that you want to make sure that the batteries used in the camera are well matched. You don't want the camera crapping out at a time when you are trying to record a significant event. This requires running 30 - 50 cycles through your flashlight, and then some run time tests will help you match a set of cells for use in the camera.

Finally, when she sees through this thin veil of an argument, tell her that I put you up to it. That may take some of the heat off of you, but I think she probably knows that there is a little kid inside just wanting to play... :)

Good luck.

Tom

I thought you do not have to break them in with duraloops when you first use them??. I just started using them without breaking them in. Although they do undergo full discharge/charge cycles as I use them as the application I use these cells are very demanding. So does this counts?? lol.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MarioJP,

It is not totally necessary to break cells in if you get them right after they are manufactured. Initially, we saw very little difference with Eneloop cells if we simply used them or ran a break in on them. However, once they have been in storage for awhile, a break in is beneficial.

Tom

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Hello MarioJP,

It is not totally necessary to break cells in if you get them right after they are manufactured. Initially, we saw very little difference with Eneloop cells if we simply used them or ran a break in on them. However, once they have been in storage for awhile, a break in is beneficial.

Tom

And White top Duraloops are older stock.

OCD

Enlightened
IIRC, only the "made in Japan" Duraloops are white tops. The newer, "made in China" ones are black topped.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, only the "made in Japan" Duraloops are white tops. The newer, "made in China" ones are black topped.

Ah yes. Those black topped ones from China are Ray-o-Vacs with Duracell wrappers and, as Lynx Arc said, are referred to as "Durabrids." The white topped ones from Japan are Sanyo Eneloops with Duracell wrappers and are hence referred to as "Duraloops." Only the rewrapped Eneloop batteries are called "Duraloops."

fishinfool

Enlightened
I finally found some of these Duracell (white top made in japan) pre-charged lsd nimh rechargeable batteries everyone calls Duraloops. Have these actually been PROVEN to be Sanyo Eneloops in Duracell's clothing? Or are they Duracell's own version of an Eneloop? :thinking:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I finally found some of these Duracell (white top made in japan) pre-charged lsd nimh rechargeable batteries everyone calls Duraloops. Have these actually been PROVEN to be Sanyo Eneloops in Duracell's clothing? Or are they Duracell's own version of an Eneloop? :thinking:

try HERE

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes. Those black topped ones from China are Ray-o-Vacs with Duracell wrappers and, as Lynx Arc said, are referred to as "Durabrids." The white topped ones from Japan are Sanyo Eneloops with Duracell wrappers and are hence referred to as "Duraloops." Only the rewrapped Eneloop batteries are called "Duraloops."

Yes, those names are what the in crowd has dubbed them. But it is not on the label.

So to normal folks the ones with white tops are the ones to try for. But as stated above those have been in stock for a while, and would benefit from break-in. Black tops are the typical China stock.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I recently bought a set of Duracell 2450 NiMH Rechargeables that were made in Japan but didn't have the white top. They're more like a milky dark bluish top and also weren't lsd's but so far a pretty good set of batteries. :twothumbs

UpChUcK

Enlightened
$10 is a good price for a 4-pack. They are usually $15 in the stores by me. Even for the 4-pack of AAA's!!! :sigh:

To the OP:
If your wife is giving you grief on a 4-pack of batteries, how the heck did you get the RRT-0 and Quark by her? :D

I actually have more DuraLoops than Eneloops. And these 2 are the only MiMh cells I use now.

OCD

Enlightened
To the OP:
If your wife is giving you grief on a 4-pack of batteries, how the heck did you get the RRT-0 and Quark by her? :D

Christmas (Quark), birthday and side job money (RRT-0)!

Buying the Duraloops for the "camera" made it o.k. to buy them (her logic, not mine!). And truth be told, the batteries we're currently using in the camera are starting to decline in performance. So I've been wanting to get new batteries for a while anyway.

I bought an 8pk of L91's for the Quark and since it doesn't seem much use normally, those should last for quite a while.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Rereading this thread it appears some folks think Duracell is still getting some batteries from Sanyo. Anyone have a newer date code on white tops? I have never seen newer then 07.

Edit to take it a bit further. I recently bought a couple CEF23 chargers on closeout that had white tops included. In break-in mode they turned out numbers like 1910-1920, my 09 dated eneloops turned out 1960+. remembering the rule of thumb on this forum is when they reach 80% of capacity you throw them out, that difference would matter at least a little bit

Last edited: