preon plus prism

trainwreck

Newly Enlightened
i adapted a Prism to fit my Preon one. posted this in the outdated original prism thread, but i think it targeted the wrong group.

yes, i know the prism headband is tight, but i removed the plastic adjuster buckle and it works ok for me. what i did was visit home depot, purchased a 1/2" neoprene grommet (30699 73578) and some #12 o-rings (37155 96729) totalling $3.18

take the grommet and install one o-ring in the groove of the grommet. slide the grommet over the head of your Preon. then just put your Preon into the Prism like you would with a Quark!

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from Home Depot. Found the O-Rings, sucks you have to buy a 10 pack but at least they had it. Couldn't find a grommet though. I figured it would be right by the plumbing stuff and then I asked 2 guys and they had no clue. I went to the customer service desk and gave them the sku or UPC# as shown above and nothing. I went back to the plumbing and asked another guy and he had no clue. Then I figured grommets would most likely be in electrical. Went there and there was an assortment pack of different sizes for $3.99 so I passed on it since I just needed that one size.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked on Lowes website. Which grommet size would I be looking for there are muliple sizes even for one individual grommet.

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=rubber+grommet&x=0&y=0

I guess you need the inside and outside diameter for it to fit correctly. Also the width of the channel for the #12 o_ring to fit. Looks like according to the Home Depot website the 30699 73568 3/8" grommet and the 30699 73598 3/4" grommet are the only sizes they list. For some ungodly reason the 1/2" grommet isn't offered.

Last edited:

trainwreck

Newly Enlightened
my bad on the o-rings and grommet. the o-rings were indeed in the plumbing section, but the grommets were in the hardware section in amongst all the drawers of misc hardware items. i think they might be stocked by third party vendors, though i'm surprised that the service desk couldn't come up with grommets. anyway i will get the exact dimensions the next time in HD, and double check the numbers.(threw away the plastic baggie). i am suffering from bad transportation right now and have to fix the brakes on my pick-up before i can concentrate on more important things like flashlights.

the beam pattern isn't worse than the prism mounted on the quark. i also left the grommet in the prism and mounted the quark to see if it worked and the beam pattern for the quark improved! looks like the extra 4-6mm of spacing in front of the lense on the prism helps shape up the batwing artifacts on the quark prism combo.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Staying tuned to this as I'd like to start using my Preon/Maratac/iTP as a headlamp with the Prism.

trainwreck

Newly Enlightened
ok, i made it into HD this AM. here is the pic of the packaging. SKU on the bin i pulled it from read 588448. it measures 1/2" id x 13/16" od x 1/4" thick. groove appears to be 1/16" wide by 1/16" deep. hope this helps!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried the above SKU in Home Depot's website and the SKU doesn't bring up the item. I did find grommets at Lowes. I bought the 1/2" with the smaller outside diamter and the 13/16" OD as well. The smaller of the 2 works with the prism but the grommet has to stay near the outer edge of the Prism as it is thicker there. If you press the grommet inside the Prism toward the glass then there is wobble room and it doesn't stay on.

With the 13/16" grommet it will not fit inside the Prism as it is squished. If I put the grommet on the Preon flashlight first and then try to put it into the Prism, it feels like it will break the Prism so no go.

trainwreck

Newly Enlightened
you put the grommet/o-ring combo on the preon then work it into the prism. it's a snug fit so it doesn't slip. if your grommet is way different than the ones i am using try it without the o-ring maybe? go one size smaller on the o-ring? or hit up a local hardware store that may have something close?

jag-engr

Enlightened
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping that bumping ti will bring up some new ideas.

FWIW, the grommets and O-rings can also be purchased at some auto part stores.

I am really interested in seeing how the beam shots look, especially non-diffused beam shots...