New guy, new lights - check out cool kit.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Hi folks,

New guy here - I just found this forum. What a place !!! :twothumbs

Anyhoo, here's a recent acquisition from an auto swap meet in Ohio:

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

(Please excuse the poor iPhone pics.)

The V6 Power Chip is my favorite. It feels like it's hewn from a solid piece of billet. The Logo Lenser is neat as well; when the barrel is extended, it projects the "Ace Tool Co." logo on the wall.

Any comments welcome. :thumbsup:

Chicago X

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you didn't pay (or swap) too much for that. The Coast/LED Lenser lights are not held in very high regard around here. Most people regard them as overpriced for the quality, and usefulness of the lights.

I consider myself to be in the group that dislikes Coast.

Here's Why:

- Coast lights use odd battery arrangements (3 and 4 AA/AAA), and they are only meant to use alkaline batteries. Reason being that most of the Coast/LL lineup are "direct driven," meaning that there is not a regulator/driver board in between the power source and the LED.

- The lack of regulation means that the light will diminish in output rather quickly, compared to a comparable regulated light, and become too dim to use. Many like unregulated lights because they "don't leave you in the dark all of a sudden," as the batteries discharge. This is nice in a situation where a long running light that dims gradually over time is needed; say, if you were caving. Unfortunately, it means that you don't pull most of the energy out of a battery, meaning that you waste power, and create a larger "eco footprint," if you will.

- Coast/LL lights are meant to only use combination's of alkaline batteries for power. This is, again, because the lights are direct driven. Because there is no boost/buck driver board to regulate current and voltage to the LED, the LED's are at the mercy of the voltage of the power source. LED's tend to have a forward voltage (voltage it takes to light them) of around 3.5-3.7 volts, depending upon the current being pushed through them. Most Coast light use 3x 1.5v alkaline cells, meaning that the LED is being over-volted, thus reducing it's lifespan. Coast/LL gets around this problem by, again, relying solely upon alkaline cells. You see, alkaline batteries have a high internal resistance, so when you pull a current of more than 1-200 milliAmps from them, the internal resistance goes up, causing the voltage of the cell to drop to 1-1.2volts, and also reduce current output. Thus the only thing that keeps the LED from frying is the odd battery choice. Ni-MH batteries are ver-boten because they have a lower voltage, but a greatly reduced internal resistance, allowing high current draws, which could fry the LED.

- Most Coast/LL lights are poorly heatsinked. They have very bad thermal pathways between the LED and the body of the light. Thus, with the direct drive nature of the battery arrangement, the LED can over heat and reduce its lifespan.

- While the machining is good, anodizing is not, and is only anodizing level II, which is soft and easily scratched. Coast/LL lights tend to show their abuse quickly.

- The focusing system is, in my opinion, a hold-over from the Mag-lite competition days. In other words, it's a gimmick. I personally don't find it usefull, most often the opposite, but others' opinions' differ from mine. Also, the holes in the heads are necessary for the focusing mechanism to work, but completely compromise water-resistance.

---------------------------------------------------

But this is just some of my opinion, if yours differs, I care not. Enjoy your lights, and hold on to your wallet.

:welcome:

JCD

Enlightened
Nice find. I have a couple LED Lenser lights, and find them useful and of good quality.

One of the things that I like about my LED Lensers is that they don't try to be everything in a single light. They are both single mode lights that are very good at what they do. I can't say the same for some of my much more expensive multi-mode Chinese lights (which are held in much higher regard around these forums) that try to do everything, but do nothing well.

You might also be interested in knowing that Coast backs their LED Lenser lights with a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy your lights.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I hope you didn't pay (or swap) too much for that. The Coast/LED Lenser lights are not held in very high regard around here. Most people regard them as overpriced for the quality, and usefulness of the lights.

I consider myself to be in the group that dislikes Coast.

Here's Why:- ---------------------------------------------------

But this is just some of my opinion, if yours differs, I care not.
wow, that's a nice opinionated piece of dogmatic garbage with which to welcome to a first time poster who is happy with a bargain he scored at a swap meet.

Nice score Chicago X, there won't be many people round here who can lay claim to having that comprehensive piece of kit. Well grabbed.

sylathnie

Enlightened
I'm not experienced with Coast lights but that is a nifty kit.

Oh... hide your wallet.

MrSneakyMan

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, I love the V16 pen light. Nice simple clean design.

Nice find!

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey John Galt: :thumbsdow

ChicagoX: That is a fine start to flashaholism! You will find that there are many excellent lights to choose from out there, and your "instant collection" will really help you to see what sort of features you like and dislike in a light. I have one Coast/LL light, and I do like that it has very good throw with its small aspheric type lens. They have their merits. I hope you enjoy your time here, I think you'll fit right in. :naughty:

Vesper

Enlightened
I had the same reaction to the first reply. Like, what the...

Love that kit. Very cool. It would be interesting to know how it made it way to that meet. Seems like a really unique thing.

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened

Chicago X, Welcome.

I am appalled to find out that you can buy flashlights in complete kits. There goes the contents of my wallet. :laughing:

Your kit looks like a nice acquisition. Thanks for sharing.

nbp

Flashaholic
It would be interesting to know how it made it way to that meet. Seems like a really unique thing.

My dad restores Mopars as a hobby, so I have been to plenty of swap meets over the years, and let me tell you, there is no end to the crazy stuff you can find. Some people use their stall as a way to sell not only the things you expect/want to find, but all their other things too.

I think it would be so cool to find some rare discontinued Surefire in a pile of crap and get it for $5. Keep on hoping...:drool:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My dad restores Mopars as a hobby, so I have been to plenty of swap meets over the years, and let me tell you, there is no end to the crazy stuff you can find. Some people use their stall as a way to sell not only the things you expect/want to find, but all their other things too.
I "renovate" Jaguars and Australian Mopars and have found that since ebay took off the majority of our swap meets seem to be full of mostly junk stuff nowadays and gravitating more towards being "markets" than swap meets. Is the same trend happening in America or do you still find your swap meets to be treasure troves?

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
Cool find and I hope you enjoy them. I have a LED LENSER P7 and I will agree they do scrath easier than my other lights but I still love the light.:naughty:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying they're bad lights, i was merely pointing out that there is better stuff, and advising him why.

OP, if you're happy with the lights, great, enjoy them, use them. Just be aware of their limitations, and realize that there is better stuff out there. I would agree with JCD that they don't try to be evrything and the kitchen sink, but a simple, easy to use light for the masses.

Just, in my opinion, they are slightly overpriced...

Oh well...

JCD

Enlightened
I would agree with JCD that they don't try to be evrything and the kitchen sink, but a simple, easy to use light for the masses.

They're equally useful to the masses and to flashaholics alike. They're very good at what they're designed to do. And, they're backed by a lifetime warranty.

Last edited: