LED's in signs

D

Dave_Metcalfe

LED\'s in signs

I am extremely new to LED's and would like to explore the possibility of using them to illuminated signs. I am aware that there are companies out there who can sell me an individual package for each application but I would like to learn how to build them myself. Am I correct in thinking that this can be achieved using transformers etc. Where would I get guidance/literature from. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Redcar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifUK

Bandgap

Enlightened
Re: LED\'s in signs

Take a look at the documents available here.

www.lumileds.com/products/documentation_index.html

- you may have to sign in.

These may answer some questions, there is an application on sign use.

I remeber there was a document on trying Luxeons quickly.
AFAIK it is: AB11: Electrical Drive Information for Luxeon Samples

Steve, London

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Howdy,

I guess I didn't follow, perhaps you could set me straight? Did you want to light a sign with one or more LEDs (mains powered flashlights, basically) or did you want to make a sign from LEDs (like where they make the letters)?

Either is easy enough to do, but probably should be done differently.

So, what did you want to do? I suspect there's more than enough ready help and good advice about.....

Doug Owen

D

Dave_Metcalfe

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the references posted.

To explain what i would like to do initially, if you look at the large internally illuminated letters (2ft-3ft)on buildings they are normally made from either aluminium or stainless steel and the illumination comes from a piece of neon glass formed to the same shape as the letter and placed inside it. The neon is not the most stable of systems and requires certain fire precautions. I would like to replace the neon with a circuit board?? cut to the same shape as the letter which will hold a series of LED's to supply the illumination.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Dave

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok. your using the light from the led's to light up the box that forms the letter. You'll need highpowered led's for this. Luxeons will work. Using pure colored luxeons will give you the most impact.