My second ground up build.

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
I just finished boring a 20mm x 11mm flat bottom hole in a piece of 1" x 2" square stock with my drill press! It's going to be a host for a 20mm XP-G triple-shot.

Tools used:
-Harbor Freight drill press (the cheap one)
-Cross slide vice (the cheap one)
-M3 drill and tap
-M3 machine screw
-calipers
-metric ruler
-4mm 4fl end mill ($6.50 victormachine)
-center punch
-graduated drill bits from 1/8" - 1/2"
-scrap aluminum I-Beam
-scribe
-Jigaloo spray lube
-2x M3 washers
Find dead center on the square stock with a ruler and scribe.
Center punch.
Drill from 1/8" to 1/2" at your desired depth.
Find center on back side...drill and tap for M3 machine screw.
Drill a hole in the top of the I-Beam just big enough for the M3 screw.
Spray top of I-Beam and bottom of stock with lube.
Thread machine screw through 2 washers, I-Beam, and into stock...snugly.
Insert I-Beam into vice...now you have your "Rotary Table". (sort of) :thumbsup:
Center 4mm end mill in the 1/2" hole.
Set depth in VERY SMALL increments to widen hole out to 20mm.
Manually rotate square stock a full rotation.
Return to center and increase depth.
Repeat for approx. 17hrs :)madman: ) or until you reach your desired depth.

I was told by the neighbor that I could borrow his lathe...but all of his cutting tools and tail stop chuck were stolen. It has a 3-jaw chuck. I accidentally ordered square stock instead of more hex bar, so I figured a 3-jaw chuck wouldn't work. (and I don't have lathe bits)

Now I got a 1" square stock lamp head to make a face cap for and do some finning!
:thumbsup: :D ;)

I'll finish this one and my little 3/4" hex for the single...and maybe justify sending all of my pieces off to be anodized.

Pic's:
IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

And a little face-cap action:
IMG_2953.jpg

I may leave the face cap a bit thicker on this one and counter-sink the screws. Do a little beveling too.

I got some more interesting milling done last night...pic's soon.

Electronics will be an 1100lm triple XP-G unit from Lux-rc.com.

This will be a bar mounted light.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hillbilly flat-bottom holes

Before you do an ano run, you might want to think about offering some hosts for sale.
If you can do a run of 20 (10 lights*2per light), and work out a buy of o-rings, screws, and lens, offer them for sale ano or not, you'd still get some $ and maybe pull down your per/unit cost quite a bit.

*What I'm saying is, it looks good. Well done@!

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Re: Hillbilly flat-bottom holes

Before you do an ano run, you might want to think about offering some hosts for sale.
If you can do a run of 20 (10 lights*2per light), and work out a buy of o-rings, screws, and lens, offer them for sale ano or not, you'd still get some $ and maybe pull down your per/unit cost quite a bit.

*What I'm saying is, it looks good. Well done@!

Hey thanks!

Updates:
IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
I did some more milling. I'm having a difficult time deciding on milling the sides and / or bottom. I'll post some more pic's tonight if I get home in time.

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Well...pretty-much done with this one too. I decided to give it the longitudinal "jeweled look" like a nice rifle bolt, hahaha.
IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

Here's a good "glared" image of the jeweling.
IMG_2962.jpg

Tidra

Enlightened
You got to be kidding me,... :twothumbs

A beautiful work,...

How much weight has this housing. I is so small I wonder if it will be enough to cool down 3 LED's and driver @ 1100lum,...

I just wonder what masterpiece you would be capable to make if you own a CNC mill,...

Respect,...

LP
Iztok

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done. I went looking when the title was changed, your newest pics show lots more work.
I do wonder how the unit will do for heat exchange, a triple xpg can pump out quite a bit (size wise, it is obviously near maxed for surface area.) My first inclination is to enhance the thermal pathing by creating a transfer from the mounting 'T' to the cycle frame

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that sorta concerned me, but according to my "help"...when pushing the XP-G's at 1.1A instead of 1.5 at 96% efficiency...I should need approx 8.5-9 sq. inches of surface area to cool the unit. This squared version has nearly 13.5-14 sq. inches.

We'll see how goes when the electronics ship.

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
When you consider that so many people are pushing Q5's like this:
IMG_0333a.jpg

It makes me rest a little easier knowing that my housing is milled from a solid chunk, I have plenty of fins, and I have a 5mm thick section of heatsink to transmit the heat to the fins quickly. I know I'm pushing R5's...but I'm not pushing them at 1500mA.

Tidra

Enlightened
For R5 first max was 1A, then CREE announce that 1.5A is a new max,...

Just to let you know, this is my last upgrade of my bike light from 3xSSC P4 to 4x CREE R4 @ 1A and it gets really hot if you don't drive fast on downhill,...

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...now I'm worried again...

1. Is there an air cavity in that light?
2. What is the surface area?
3. Is the heatsink integrated into the walls...or is it 2 pieces pressed together with thermal compound?

I'm hopeful that since I'm going to be using a slightly more efficient emitter (and only 3 vs. 4 of them)...@ 1A instead of the max rated...and my lamp head is 1 solid piece instead of a heatsink pressed into a body...and I've got some pretty deep longitudinal fins instead of circumferential...

...maybe it'll be okay? (worried)

I dunno. Only testing will reveal the truth, right?:huh: My electronics have shipped, so they should be here in a couple wks. I'm kinda biting my nails on this one.

When you say yours gets "hot"...have you measured it? 50C can "feel" dadgum hot, but it's a totally acceptable operating temperature.

Tidra

Enlightened
Hmmm...now I'm worried again...

1. Is there an air cavity in that light?
2. What is the surface area?
3. Is the heatsink integrated into the walls...or is it 2 pieces pressed together with thermal compound?

1.) Yes, but very small.
2.) Aluminium
3.) 2 pieces pressed together with thermal compound,...

I hope your design will be able to dissipate the heat. For mounting on the bar, you could try to transfer some heat to the bar.

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Got a little package from Moscow today...

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

I'm hoping to send this one packin' so I can order a few more boards and keep building. This is fun!
IMG_3381.jpg

Had to notch out the Carclo single 20 to clear the electronical-thingy-ma-jigg. (FET maybe?)
IMG_3382.jpg

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Square one:
IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

TrailTech in-line switch and connectors:
IMG_3564.jpg

Batteryspace.com battery PCB with "fuel gauge":
IMG_3563.jpg

Quickie back yard beam shots--
f4.0
ISO-100
Daylight
6.00sec

Reference [SSCP7 at 2.8amps]
About 12" to the right of the camera:
P71.jpg

L332 Square about 12" to the left of the camera:
xpg1.jpg

SSCP7 right next to the camera to illustrate the beam intensity:
p72.jpg

Triple XP-G right next to the camera:
xpg2.jpg

I initially installed the frosted medium optics, but it was so much flood that I couldn't fathom using it on the trail. Reminded me of an over-volted halogen. Beamshots above are with the clear narrow optics. Much more useable beam.

Last edited: