Geography/Vocabulary Question

2dogs

Enlightened
This isn't a baited question like "0.999... equals 1.0". I just don't know the answer because I've been given different definitions. So... here go's.

What is the correct term for the lower 48 states? Is it the contigous or conterminous United States, or something else entirely? Thanks in advance!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say "original," but I don't want to get on Mr Bulk's nasty list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
They're both correct 2dogs. Contiguous means they're touching, while conterminous means they share common borders. Both are used, but I've mostly heard contiguous in use. Also "continental" is used to describe the same thing.

Paul, "original" would be the thirteen original states wouldn't it? Incidentally, sometimes the term "Continental United States" is used to designate the thirteen original states.

r2

Enlightened
I sometimes hear people say "continental United States" and it's never very clear if they mean the contiguous 48 states or if they were intentionally including Alaska (I've heard it both ways).

I'd say go with contiguous if you want to be unambiguous. (there's a rhyme they probably won't be teaching kids in school any time soon).

- Russ