• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Volcano Killer

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A customer wanted a Kuukuu Killer, similar to this one, but since I get easily bored making the same exact item more than once, this light would be different. :devil:

This is also made from Mokume Gane, which is comprised of alternating layers of copper and nickel silver; even before etching the pattern is clearly visible in the metal:

KuukuuKillerII-3.jpg

But etching with ferric chloride really developes the pattern as it etches away the copper at a faster rate than the nickel silver. And the ferric chloride will also darken the copper, too.

However, there are other methods to enhance the contrast, from special patina solutions to home-made brews using eggs, or vinegar and ammonia. There is also heat, which will darken the copper, and even produce various colors, depending on the temperature and composition of the gases striking the metal.

I decided to try some heat this time, to see what could be done. Only problem was that having never done it before, I really wasn't super experienced, although I did try a test piece first. In retrospect, I overheated the light, going way past the color that I wanted--red hot copper colors look completely different from the final color after coloring!

Still, the excess heat did something else that was fine--it oxidized the nickel silver to a nice black. And the oxidation on the copper mostly flaked off when the light was just touched. The net result: a nice black and orange combo:

KuukuuKillerII-9.jpg

KuukuuKillerII-10.jpg

KuukuuKillerII-8.jpg

KuukuuKillerII-12.jpg

Now dubbed the Volcano Killer I have no clue if my customer will like it or not, but I do. And I now know that there are some really nice colors possible with heating the Mokume Gane lights, so further experimentation awaits. :D

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Kuukuu Killer II

:drool::faint: That is quite possibly the coolest combination of textures, patterns, and colors I've seen on a light ever! Fred, where was this brilliant idea of yours when I was looking for an orange killer??? ;) Oh wait, it's probably out of my price range anyway :broke:Thanks for the awesome eye candy Fred! :thumbsup:

1 what

Enlightened

Hi Fred.
I wish you'd stop tempting me!
One of these days I'm going to have to sell something (a kidney?) and buy one of your lights.
Fantastic!

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Well, it's no original Kuukuu Killer :devil: :nana:, but I suppose it's alright! :laughing:

Fred, the colors you achieved in this thing are awesome. :twothumbs And the textures and shape of the pattern are perfectly complimented by the shape of the light.

When do you start on your next MG light? :poke: :wave:

:popcorn: john

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great Fred but will you seal it some fashion so that it doesn't corrode?

Karl

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great Fred but will you seal it some fashion so that it doesn't corrode?

Karl

Hi Karl,

Well, it really wouldn't "corrode", just oxidize further if not coated.

I've offered the customer a couple options: 1) Renaissance Wax, or 2) Protectaclear--a polymer coating that can be baked on. Either of these would provide protection for 1-2 years. The Protectaclear is used in the jewelry industry to coat sterling silver. I've just started using it and so far I find it to be clear, smooth and hypoallegenic, so it seems fine for Shelf Queens. :devil:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The customer loved it and noted that it looked like a volcano, so it now has a name. I'll be coating it with Protectaclear and will post a photo once it has cured.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

:drool::faint: That is quite possibly the coolest combination of textures, patterns, and colors I've seen on a light ever! Fred, where was this brilliant idea of yours when I was looking for an orange killer??? ;) Oh wait, it's probably out of my price range anyway :broke:Thanks for the awesome eye candy Fred! :thumbsup:
After you've been here for a full year you'll be surprised at how your perspective of what's in/out of your price range! :wave:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light, always liked your custom flashlights :thumbsup:.

PS: We in Europe could really need a 'Volcano Killer' right now ;).

rayman

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say that you make the cadillac/bentley/rolls royce of flashlights! Excellent work!

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened
When I use heat for coloring purposes I use the back part of the flame on the outside of the yellow spectrum. Go real slow and when you first start to see the color change stop heating it and wait about 30 seconds and re-inspect. This will stop the heat coloring transfer and makes the coloring more uniform. I also dont heat the same area for any length of time. The flame is always moving so I dont get things blotchy or over colored, patience is key. I also do more flat sections than your round flashlites Fred. But the thicker sections get more heat and then I work to the thinner section. If you dont do it that way the thin sections way over color first and look washed out on my knives. I probably spend 5 minutes for each piece bringing it up to color.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light looks amazing. The textures and colors draw the eye and capture the attention. It reminds me of a relic that was unearthed and carefully cleaned, before being put on display in a museum.

Nice work as usual, Fred. :thumbsup: