6C, U4UW, Direct Drive, *Pics Added*

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I completed a project using one of those Radioshack 3C flashlights, where I used the battery tube from another one to make 6C's, using a U4UW 5 watt star, and driving it direct, and using a 30mm optic. The heat sink is from Elekrolumens, as well as some round aluminum pieces that were about the exact diameter of the tube. I had to use those because the bulb holder is higher than the frame of the flashlight, and I wanted the heat to be transferred to the body. Works too. I turned it on for a short while and the body did get some warm. Anyway, this thing is very bright. The flood of this set up is excellent. The W2W 5 watt LED in my Maglite set up [similar to the great Space Needle II] does have a brighter hot spot, but this has a much bigger spot and much better spill.

If I can get some digital picture taken, I'll do so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Finished project. . .6C, U4UW, Direct Drive, . . .

I was just asking about this configuration and there you go and build one.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

hehehehe

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

As I stated in your thread, I'm betting that this LED will last long enough until the fixed, longer life LEDs come out. It will be an easy swap. Not worried. In the mean time, I have a pretty bright flood light, and 'night stick' for my bedside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif <--- *imagine that being a long flashlight rather than a stick*

Hey, you know, maybe someone should do a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif with him holding a long flashlight!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish I could remember the material McGizmo uses that is like WriteRite. He makes a small disk with a paper hole punch and puts it in the shaft of the 30 mm. to smooth out the center weak spot. Outside, in the real world, I don't notice it. It just kinda cracks me up that it lights up my neighbor's yard so well.

I put 4Cs in a M@g 3D with KP113 and it is still a big wimp by comparison.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm actually okay with the 'less than perfect' beam it produces. Sure there may be a faint darker spot in the center, but as you say, in the real world, you can't tell. About the only thing about mine I'd like to improve on is the plastic lens the 30mm optic is up against. If I could have a clearer one, that would make it a hair brighter, but will look much better.

I only have a few incandescents, and before I had a 5 cell bulb in this flashlight [before modding it to LED], and the LED mod is WAY better. There's nothing like a white beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orion, try this: Move the optic further away from the 5W emitter. I belive that gets rid of the black hole and actually makes it brighter in the middle. It was MrBulk that first mentioned that effect.

You should give it a try and post the results!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey nice mod, Orion! But of course we would love to see some pics !

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will try to get pictures of this mod posted by early next week. *crossing fingers*

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i think people that post about mods without providing pictures should get a royal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures will be added [hopefully] tomorrow.

In addition, I will also post pictures of a few other flashlights. Nothing all that exciting, and mostly amature in nature.

Stay tuned!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i think people that post about mods without providing pictures should get a royal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

... I'll get the rope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i've got the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures to be posted today [after a few technical difficulties]. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's the Radioshack flashlight, normally a 3C, but I screwed on another tube from another RS light to make 6C cells going to the LED. I added an Arc LS for size reference. Sorry, it's not the best picture.

fb61cea6.jpg

Beam shots of this next to a moddified Arc LS that has a Q2J LED and the NX-01 optic.

Arc on left, RS mod on right.

fb61ce9b.jpg

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you pull a switcheroo? I don't see a grill or a weak spot. Maybe it's just my perception, but it looks like you are using a stippled reflector?

I like this light. The beam looks very useful.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am using a cut down Mag reflector, actually. If flashlightlens.com had a UCL lens that fit the diameter of the flashlight, I'd be using it. It is the 'week point' of the flashlight. Anyway, you ARE correct. It originally had the 30mm optic in it, which the picture of the wall beam IS of the 30mm optic. It was taken before the switcheroo. So now, it has a better hot spot, but with better spill. Almost as good as my Maglight with W2V in it, which can be seen in the "Lightsaber" shot in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=313090&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

LukeK

Enlightened

Very nice modifications Orion!