Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

Yeah, I think you at least need a torx with a long, thin stem. I used the one from this set, found in Home Depot:

http://www.generaltools.com/63518--1...SET_p_323.html

The 1/16 hex bit is good for the bulb pillar too.
    Last edited by Mr Happy; 11-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

I bought a new switch from Maglight.com and it came with both a hex wrench and a T8 wrench that fits the new screw. I didn't need the wrenches as I had previously ground down a T8 screwdriver to fit, but it's a nice bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    I bought a new switch from Maglight.com and it came with both a hex wrench and a T8 wrench that fits the new screw. I didn't need the wrenches as I had previously ground down a T8 screwdriver to fit, but it's a nice bonus!
    Want to sell the t8 that came with your switch?

Neal

I'll keep the wrench as a spare. The total cost for the new switch and wrenches was only about $10.00 if I recall. My first driver was a TX8 sourced from ebay and ground down on my bench grinder. Either way, quick, cheap, easy.

Did you order the new switch assembly, or the old one. They seem like they are not willing to send out anything with the new wrench.

I ordered the new switch assembly. The wrenches were included in the package. Don't know if they mentioned them on the website. I ordered it here:
    http://maglitesales.com/maglitestore...-Style-108-208
    Last edited by HotWire; 11-18-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Does anyone have a modified T8 tool they would be willing to sell me?

It's really not that hard to do, I ground down a $2.50 Torx T8 from eBay with nothing but a small metal file. Took about 20 minutes (keeping the tip intact while getting rid of the taper was infuriating), and my hands are a bit sore, but all in all pretty easy.
    Awesome! I just got the Luxoulree Z4 bin XD-Q! Wait... are you saying they released the Z5 bin the day after I bought it?

May 8, 2012

The store I found the 'good' Chesco Torx sets had them back in stock.
    I stopped in on Saturday, May 5, 2012 and they had about 20 in stock.

From my previous post:
    I found a 7 pc. folding Torx driver set that works. It is a Chesco model 88056 with sizes from T-6 to T-10,T15 and T-20. The UPC number is 038548880563.

Updated on 3-10-2011: There are 2 different Chesco 88056 tools

The 'good' Chesco set is 3" long closed, has slotted screws holding it together and has the Chesco name stamped on the right side. The T8 works on a 3D Mag LED.
    For anyone in the Detroit area they are at Kitts Industrial Tools, Farmington Hills, MI on 8 Mile road just east of Grand River.
    Last edited by PJ; 05-08-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Call the warranty department, tell them you have a problem with your switch, give them your serial number and you will get a new switch and both tools.

Be prepared to wait.

I have also ran into this same problem. It was very irritating to find out I can't disassemble my lights when my mod parts all showed up.

Now I can't follow through with my Mag projects until I get inside them, so this thread has gotten me tempted to buy a batch of T8 torx "L" wrenches and stick them in the lathe and turn them down to size to fit in the Mag's switch. If there was enough interest in this I would be willing to do that and sell them at a reasonable price.
    2 2D MagLites: 4D Mag/6Cree Q5 led drop-in: MiniMag 2AA: 2 3AAA Fenix TK11 R5

Just buy a new switch assembly. They come with both wrentches and a switch. I paid $10 for mine

I stopped at Casler Hardware in Jackson, MI., a Maglite repair center, and talked to the guy that repairs the lights. He told me that Mag sent him a tool for the new switches which is a T8 wrench with a screwdriver handle. He said as far as he knows if a customer buys the switch assembly it has both wrenches but if he orders them as a repair facility they don't have the wrenches.

www.caslerhardware.com is their website. They sell parts and have reasonable shipping rates. ( I ordered some switch covers a few months back.)

Some warranty centers are now authorized to repair the LED lights so you may not have to ship them to California for repair.
    Last edited by PJ; 10-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.