new set screw tool for Mag D switch

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a brand new Mag 6D and went to swap out the switch with an AW 3 level driver. Could not get the stock switch out because the set screw is no longer turned with a 2mm allen wrench. I called Maglite and the person I spoke with confirmed this but could not tell me what exactly the needed tool is or its size since it's "so new". Anybody know what kind and size tool is now required for the set screw?

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
The person I spoke to at Maglite said it no longer is an allen wrench, but could not tell me just what it is now. I'm thinking a star wrench, but I don't have any that small. I guess I might pick up a set and see.

mrartillery

Enlightened
That's odd, I haven't ran across one of these yet, I've got several of the new design without the spring on the bottom but none yet that won't accept allen wrenches.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a flashlight and look down the switch stem to see what's in there. I can see the outline of an Allen head in my various D Mag switches.

rjr104

Newly Enlightened
I ran into this too on a recently purchased 2D. I haven't figgured it out yet, but if I had to guess I'd be looking at torx. I have some hobby size torx if I can find them. I'll report back.
RJ

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing that I have (yet) will work :sigh:. It looks to me like it is a Torx security screw, approx 0.65, my small 0.70 will not fit down the switch.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one that I believed the set screw was a reject, or damaged. I used a Bristol Wrench to get it out, pitched it in the trash, and installed the regular setscrew.

Maybe it wasn't a screwed up one, maybe some lame attempt at security? Try a Bristol key, not sure of the size, I just got a small cheep kit at a flea market.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I had one that I believed the set screw was a reject, or damaged. I used a Bristol Wrench to get it out, pitched it in the trash, and installed the regular setscrew.

Maybe it wasn't a screwed up one, maybe some lame attempt at security? Try a Bristol key, not sure of the size, I just got a small cheep kit at a flea market.

Hard to imagine they would intentionall switch over to such an obscure Bristol set screw.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Whan I tried to get a replacement mag switch from the UK supplier about a year ago now they said I would have to send it in as it required a special tool, I did mention the replacement switch kit came with an allen key so what was the deal, but they wouldnt have it...I had to send it in or no deal.

737mech

Enlightened
I ran into this problem as well on a few new switches I bought from Zbattery. I have not looked into it to figure out the proper tool yet.

edit, just confirmed that the new set screw is in fact a torx bit but not sure what size. The T6 I had was a bit to small and the T15 was a bit to big. Just for the record the sizes go like this T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, then it jumps to T15.

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm not crazy, there is a new one! I wish I wouldn't have pitched it in the trash, and taken a closer look and a few pictures!

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
If T6 is a bit too small, it must be T7 or T8. The smallest I have is T9 and it's too big. T7 is very similar in size to a 2mm allen, so it seems likely.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
All the replacement switches I've gotten came with a hex key. They don't include the hex or torx wrench any more:shrug:
Billy

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
Not having a T7 wrench, I was able to remove the new set screw by using a 2 mm allen wrench altered by grinding and shaping a standard screw driver blade onto it. Since the set screw has a 6 armed star pattern, two arms are directly opposite one another, allowing a standard screw driver blade to span across. Not "the right tool for the right job", but it easily removed the set screw.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Well, I ordered a new Mag D switch of the UK supplier, and it has arrived with an allen key in the pack...Didn't check if the screw was a different type, but I assume not as the key was included, sealed in the package....Sometimes I love it when the UK is slower than the US, for things like torch latest models. :D

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Turns out I still had it. Here's a crappy pic:

newsetscrew.jpg

That's a hole in the center, not a post, so a security bit probably isn't necessary, just a torx of the right size. I'll bring it with me to Ace hardware and see if a #7 fits. Even if it does, finding a #7 torx driver with a shaft narrower than the bit might be a challenge.

Last edited: