DX.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 163

Thread: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

  1. #61
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Is there any update on this?

    Does anyone know if this would work?


    I haven't done much experimenting myself, but by the looks of it, it should be able to shim into the hole and unscrew the mag switch screw.



  2. #62
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland,Oh
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfTacular View Post
    Is there any update on this?

    Does anyone know if this would work?


    I haven't done much experimenting myself, but by the looks of it, it should be able to shim into the hole and unscrew the mag switch screw.


    No, it has a shoulder when it changes from torx to hex. Th shaft can only be as large as the torx part. I have ground the shaft of a .08 torx and it works well now, I looked all over town for one that didn't need grinding first though.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

  3. #63
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch



    Maglite has thoroughly disappointed me

  4. #64
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,274

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft800 View Post
    @ LuxLuthor,

    Wow, great read. This hole thing really torx me! We purchase more Mags and parts than anyone! I've turned a bunch of people onto modding, and they buy parts too. We are not the ones sending them back in for warranty or costing them anything!

    It will just be more time before we have the tool, and modding will resume (it hasn't stopped me anyway, just an inconvenience).
    I think what they resent is how we easily make their lights much better, and it's embarassing to them.

  5. #65

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    I think what they resent is how we easily make their lights much better, and it's embarassing to them.
    It's surprising Maglite doesn't look at modders as their own no-cost R+D lab and implement a few of the best ideas.

  6. #66
    Flashaholic* Alan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,964

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Data point. Just bought a new 4D Jade and it has hex screw.

    One less problem to deal with now. Already converted it to PHD 5x IMR C cells driving 64623. 150 watts, not bad for a stock looking 4D.

  7. #67
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Yeah, but isn't the Jade one a one-time only limited batch?

    In other words: made in one batch a long time ago?

  8. #68
    Flashaholic* Alan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,964

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by jcvjcvjcvjcv View Post
    Yeah, but isn't the Jade one a one-time only limited batch?

    In other words: made in one batch a long time ago?
    I don't really know, just thought it might be of some interest, probably is older as we expect new units to have the torx.

  9. #69
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    ... I looked all over town for one that didn't need grinding first though.
    I happened to notice you're in Cleveland - did you happen to check Production Tool Supply? When I need rare tools/bits PTS is where I usually find them. They have a website as well. I've never used it, however, since they're based out of SE Michigan and there's two stores less than 25 minutes from my house.

  10. #70
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland,Oh
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by joeparker54 View Post
    I happened to notice you're in Cleveland - did you happen to check Production Tool Supply? When I need rare tools/bits PTS is where I usually find them. They have a website as well. I've never used it, however, since they're based out of SE Michigan and there's two stores less than 25 minutes from my house.
    No, I kinda lost heart after a few places, so I just ground down a cheap one! Yeah, PTS does well, and not overpriced.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

  11. #71
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sitting' on the dock o' The Bay...
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    I just bought a 3D Rebel MagLED at Costco (2-pack with the Rebel Mini-Mag) and it has the Torx bit. I guess I'll take an L shaped Allen and grind it down to a flat blade screwdriver to take this one apart.

  12. #72
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Is there already any confirmation on what Torx size the new screw is?

    PB - Swiss Tools makes several Torx tools with T6/7/8 with a 2.5mm diameter lead (is that the right word for the long stick of metal connecting the bit with the handle?).
    Last edited by jcvjcvjcvjcv; 07-03-2010 at 10:57 PM.

  13. #73
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sitting' on the dock o' The Bay...
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    I tried a T-8 Torx bit that I have and tried it in the set screw and it's an ever so slightly loose fit. I don't have a T-9 (if one exists) but the T-10 that I have does not fit.

  14. #74

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Fingertip Flag, or Fingertip T-handle (T-handle style not shown in the photo), should be the ticket.

    T6 and T8 are depicted in the photo (PR13 bulb for size reference), and both are flag handled.

    T6, red, has a 32mm long x 3mm diameter shaft.

    T8, orange, has a 39mm long x 2.3mm diameter shaft.

    McMaster sells both styles.

    FWIW, these are simply Torx L-keys with an overcast plastic handle.



    The shaft on this particular T8 is the same diameter as the tip of the tool.

    Last edited by TranquillityBase; 07-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.

  15. #75
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    I tried a T-8 Torx bit that I have and tried it in the set screw and it's an ever so slightly loose fit. I don't have a T-9 (if one exists) but the T-10 that I have does not fit.
    I tried a T9 and it definitely does not fit. My Waha T8 fits nice and snug.

    Actually after playing with it for a minute I noticed the T8 Waha didn't fit as snug as I initially thought. Looking at the head with a magnifying glass I believe this is actually a Torx Plus fastener. Perhaps somebody with a Torx plus set could verify. Regular Torx drivers will work in a Torx plus fastener but the plus drivers won't fit in a regular Torx fastener.
    Last edited by 357mag1; 07-04-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added info.

  16. #76
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,324

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    I know I am late to the new T8 Torx switch set screw party, but I recently took some pictures and I was asked to post them here:

    D light cut open to figure out what the heck the set screw was:



    Once I got the screw out, I filed down one of my hex screws to fit:



    Here are the two screws:



    and a close-up, where you can clearly see the new screw is a Torx screw:



    And specifically, a T8 Torx screw:




    EDIT: A 5/64" is 0.07813" and a 2mm is 0.07874", so either one works fine in the standard hex screw.
    Last edited by wquiles; 07-09-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  17. #77
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    You actually cut open a brand new mag to figure out what screw was in there?

  18. #78
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Wow great job Wquiles. You certainly did alot of research, and sacrificed a perfectly working Maglite.


  19. #79
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,324

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by jcvjcvjcvjcv View Post
    You actually cut open a brand new mag to figure out what screw was in there?
    Yup. That shows my dedication to the hobby and attention to detail. Either that or it just provides further evidence that my brain does not work right/normal
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  20. #80

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    [QUOTE=LuxLuthor;3411478]This is pretty funny. I cannot think of any reason for them to change the type of setscrew to a somewhat obscure torx type that they know most people's tool set won't fit...other than a lame attempt to foil people like us wanting to mod them. I never had the hex (Allen) type strip, and have tightened/loosened hundreds of them.

    I think the issue is something else. On The High Road Forum ( mostly about guns) a poster had issues with several Mag lites all new that did not work. intermintent light and such and a used one that fell and quit working but was having issues as well before the fall.
    I suggested that the issue might be the switch had come loose and that he tighten the switch. I explained how in detail.
    Later the poster found that this was indeed the issue all along and the light works just fine now and he posted a great big Thank You.

    Torx's were developed as the screws heads were failing before reaching the desired torque needed on aircraft screws is my understanding.
    Torx and Torx Plus allowed the screws to be tightened without the tool walking out of the screw and destroying the head. This has been a widespread change in industries all over. I guess Mag Lite just finally got with the program.

  21. #81
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,274

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Yup. That shows my dedication to the hobby and attention to detail. Either that or it just provides further evidence that my brain does not work right/normal

    Quote Originally Posted by jcvjcvjcvjcv View Post
    You actually cut open a brand new mag to figure out what screw was in there?
    That was the first reaction I had as well....followed closely by sheer admiration at your inner geek in action 'needing to know.' See now because of your contribution, we all have absolute certainty with photos.



    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    This is pretty funny. I cannot think of any reason for them to change the type of setscrew to a somewhat obscure torx type that they know most people's tool set won't fit...other than a lame attempt to foil people like us wanting to mod them. I never had the hex (Allen) type strip, and have tightened/loosened hundreds of them.
    I think the issue is something else. On The High Road Forum ( mostly about guns) a poster had issues with several Mag lites all new that did not work. intermintent light and such and a used one that fell and quit working but was having issues as well before the fall.
    I suggested that the issue might be the switch had come loose and that he tighten the switch. I explained how in detail.
    Later the poster found that this was indeed the issue all along and the light works just fine now and he posted a great big Thank You.

    Torx's were developed as the screws heads were failing before reaching the desired torque needed on aircraft screws is my understanding.
    Torx and Torx Plus allowed the screws to be tightened without the tool walking out of the screw and destroying the head. This has been a widespread change in industries all over. I guess Mag Lite just finally got with the program.
    Perhaps that is a more generous and accurate explanation. However, this scenario is why Maglite made the internal circular slot and retaining ring clip to block forward advancement, and punched/drilled an indented hole for the conical setscrew to fix into. If they had such a concern as you suggest, they could have put a dab of loctite on the threads.

    I can only go by my own experience, and some of my mags have had the same switch assembly removed and tightened as many as 25-30 times without ever stripping the hex wrench threads. I have never had one come loose or lose contact with the aluminum wall.

    Then there is all the negative historical baggage of how Maglite has aggressively sued so many as a regular business practice, the telephone conversations about this issue I described earlier, the complete lack of providing a torx key to customers when they knew full well that none of the torx wrenches people have would fit, none available for sale to anyone when asked...and upon being disconnected after the fundamental information was provided, the lady calling me back and quite rudely letting me know she had my name and number from caller ID, and wanted my Maglite serial number.

    But, perhaps you are correct in your interpretation.

  22. #82
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    It seems like they have stopped providing switches and repair parts and want you to ship a 15-30 dollar light to them for repair now. With today's shipping rates that make no sense.

  23. #83
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,324

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    At least in the short term you can buy the switch assembly for "D" size lights online.. Here for lights with the "D" in the serial number - note photo still points to the old switch, not the new one, and that it includes the old style hex key!:
    http://www.zbattery.com/D-Cell-Switc...category=97920


    The same place no longer carries/shows the switch for lights without the "D" in the serial number.
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  24. #84
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    At least in the short term you can buy the switch assembly for "D" size lights online.. Here for lights with the "D" in the serial number - note photo still points to the old switch, not the new one, and that it includes the old style hex key!:
    http://www.zbattery.com/D-Cell-Switc...category=97920


    The same place no longer carries/shows the switch for lights without the "D" in the serial number.
    I tried that and Zbattery does not have them in stock per the email they sent me.

  25. #85

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Could you very carefully stick a small drill bit down the switch assembly (with a diameter just smaller than the torx set screw) and just drill out the thing, and with a little force, push the switch assembly out from the front end? Would it be possible to do this without damaging the threads of the switch assembly and buying a new set screw with a standard head from a hardware store? I have not run into one of these abominations yet, but I'm sure I will in no time!

  26. #86

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-M View Post
    Could you very carefully stick a small drill bit down the switch assembly (with a diameter just smaller than the torx set screw) and just drill out the thing, and with a little force, push the switch assembly out from the front end? Would it be possible to do this without damaging the threads of the switch assembly and buying a new set screw with a standard head from a hardware store? I have not run into one of these abominations yet, but I'm sure I will in no time!
    Even without the proper torx wrench it's easy to remove the set screw. See post 15.

  27. #87
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by nighttrails View Post
    Even without the proper torx wrench it's easy to remove the set screw. See post 15.
    I tried that method and it screwed up the plastic components of the switch.

  28. #88

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    I tried that method and it screwed up the plastic components of the switch.
    How exactly? If a 2mm allen wrench is used for the tool it should fit through the switch without engaging the plastic parts and only engage the metal set screw itself. There should be no risk to the plastic parts.

  29. #89
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,324

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    More photos of the "problem" with the wide shaft on most all T8 tools.

    I ordered and received two supposedly thin shaft T8 L hex tools, based on the photos on McMaster's catalog. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned including myself, the shaft is the problem, as it is wider than the actual tip. I simply use my grinder to turn down the shaft until they fit on the small hole in the switch - nothing pretty, but quick and effective.

    Close up of the "step" in the shaft that causes the problem:



    Here in the photo you have (top to bottom): Original screw hex wrench, grind T8 hex wrench, original T8 hex wrench not yet ground:



    Here on this second shot, from left to right: original screw hex wrench, grind T8 hex wrench, grind T8 hex wrench:
    Last edited by wquiles; 07-09-2010 at 04:47 AM.
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  30. #90
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

    You are the king of this thread

    You should seriously sell those, i'd buy one. Currently im using a sanded down 2mm allen wrench to ghetto-rig the screw.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •