Storacell
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

Default Re: new set screw tool for Mag D switch

What a stupid thing for Mag to do. Doesn't make any logical sense, unless you are a lawyer.
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nighttrails View Post
    How exactly? If a 2mm allen wrench is used for the tool it should fit through the switch without engaging the plastic parts and only engage the metal set screw itself. There should be no risk to the plastic parts.
    A 2mm allen wrench will fit the new switch opening as well but not so with the T8 Torx. So you have to go to a bit bigger than a 2mm allen. That caused the plastic switch parts to stick because the inner plastic flexes and then binds vice cutting cleanly. Somebody a little more meticulous might have better luck than I did.

I went with the same method wquiles used, made a T8 Torx smaller in diameter and now they are no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfTacular View Post
    You are the king of this thread

You should seriously sell those, i'd buy one. Currently im using a sanded down 2mm allen wrench to ghetto-rig the screw.
    It would not surprise me if someone modified a Torx for sale with the expressed purpose of being able to fit and remove Maglite's new set screw, thereby depriving them of their repair fee, that they would sue the individual. Never mind if they would prevail, it is the "wear you down with legal expenses" strategy they would perhaps intend.

Of course if some Chinese company did it (as they always do)--beyond the reach of USA law, that would be ideal. In the meantime, it is easy to do what wquiles did with an electric grinding wheel, or Dremel.

If it helps in the search...the orange T8 flag show in my photo (post #74)...as far as I can tell, the shaft is the same diameter as the tool tip. There's two imprints molded into the handle; SFS and SWISS.

Would those in your picture be these, right?
    link ...

Of course the trick is to see who we can buy these from and buy one to try out
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Would those in your picture be these, right?
    link ...

Of course the trick is to see who we can buy these from and buy one to try out
    Looks like you found the source Will

McMaster sells the fingertip t-handle style, and the price is very reasonable (between $2 and $3 each).

If you call McMaster and ask them to verify, I'm confident they will do a bin pull, and let you know if the shaft diameter is equal to the tip diameter.
    Last edited by TranquillityBase; 07-10-2010 at 03:49 PM.

I found a 7 pc. folding Torx driver set that works. It is a Chesco model 88056 with sizes from T-6 to T-10,T15 and T-20. The UPC number is 038548880563.

Updated on 3-10-2011: There are 2 different Chesco 88056 tools

The 'good' Chesco set is 3" long closed, has slotted screws holding it together and has the Chesco name stamped on the right side. The T8 works on a 3D Mag LED.

The set I bought from Ebay is 3 5/8" long, has Allen screws holding it together and has the Chesco name stamped on the left. This one does not fit.
    Last edited by PJ; 07-10-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Flashaholic*

In the local hobby shop I noticed a 2mm Flat blade screw driver selling for $3 so I bought it to try. works like a champ and then I change the set screw to an allen head.

The maker of this screwdriver is dynamite and the part number is DYN2829. The have a website (www.dynamiterc.com) if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Looks like you found the source Will

McMaster sells the fingertip t-handle style, and the price is very reasonable (between $2 and $3 each).

If you call McMaster and ask them to verify, I'm confident they will do a bin pull, and let you know if the shaft diameter is equal to the tip diameter.
    Well, I though I did find the source, but no - going home without the trophy

I bought five more "samples" from McMaster, which per the photos/descriptions all had a good chance of being narrow enough. Some of them had round shafts, some hex shafts, some supported Torx only, some supported Torx and Torx Plus, etc.:

New ones on top. Older, ground ones bottom:

Close-up. NONE of them fit
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Well, I though I did find the source, but no - going home without the trophy

Close-up. NONE of them fit

WTF? mag is doing a terrible thing to us. Sorry to hear you came out empty.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

The Eklind set didn't work.

Sears has an Eklind set available online only. Zooming on the image it looks like it may have the straight shank bits. I have not looked at a store to see if they are available.
    Last edited by PJ; 07-18-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: The Eklind #22572 set does not fit.

Looks like an incorrect picture, unfortunately. They use the same picture for their similar hex key set.

Flashaholic

... had a good chance of being narrow enough. ... NONE of them fit
    Those are very close. Is there enough material in the switch to bore out the access hole a little?

(I'm not confident I can successfully grind a driver shaft, but even I could run a drill bit in straight with a existing hole as a guide!)

Quote Originally Posted by LED_astray View Post
    Those are very close. Is there enough material in the switch to bore out the access hole a little?
    I would not do it while the round plastic piece is inside the switch, since it would be very easy to damage the indents that make the switch go up/down as you turn it on/off. In fact, damaging those indents on purpose is how you turn the switch to momentary-only mode to use with some LED drivers, notably those from TaskLED.

What about the Wiha precision torx T-8 (#26708)? It also comes in a 6-piece and a 7-piece set.

http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Wiha...s/mfg26790.jpg

I think you can get it alone (not in a set) but the picture that amazon shows is of the T15: link.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
    What about the Wiha precision torx T-8 (#26708)? It also comes in a 6-piece and a 7-piece set.
    I have the Wiha and it is too fat. I thought for sure it would fit but no dice. The 2mm flat blade I mentioned a few posts above works like a champ and then you just need to replace the Torx set screw with an allen head set screw.

has anyone tried spline ,aka bristol six flute key?? they are metric, may be that is why we have problem finding matching key?
    i have few of them, but i don't have any new switches.

also once you got new screw with 2mm flat blade, where do you buy torx screw that would fit new switch?

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    also once you got new screw with 2mm flat blade, where do you buy torx screw that would fit new switch?
    You mean hex screw, not torx.

That should be the easy part. My question is whether or not regular plain-ended hex scews, found at many hardware stores, will bite into the tube wall with as much contact area, and/or contact pressure as the pointy-ended screw in a stock Mag? Which one results in less resistance (if there's any measurable difference at all)?

Related story... completely assuming my recently purchased, 3D Rebel Mag with the positive tab instead of a spring, had a torx screw, I found a local hobby shop with a decent quality, 2mm x 75mm flat screwdriver with identical specs to 357's recommendation.

Bought, and took it home only to find out my new Mag still uses the 3/32 hex. But for anyone interested, Dynamite is not the only producer of this precision screwdriver size. Mine is labeled by R/C company Duratrax. Looks and feels like a good product for only $3.50 retail.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

The set screw you need is an 8-32 thread 3/16 inches long with standard socket head. I ordered the stainless 316 from McMaster-Carr at $5.62 for a pack of 10. The 8-18 stainless probably would have worked just as well for this application and for less than a dollar more you can get a 50 pack. I also used the cone style which bites into the wall more aggressively than the Mag screw.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    The set screw you need is an 8-32 thread 3/16 inches long with standard socket head. I ordered the stainless 316 from McMaster-Carr at $5.62 for a pack of 10. The 8-18 stainless probably would have worked just as well for this application and for less than a dollar more you can get a 50 pack. I also used the cone style which bites into the wall more aggressively than the Mag screw.
    Interesting. Was was the exact part number from McMaster that you ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    You mean hex screw, not torx.

lol, yes, my bad.

Flashaholic*

Interesting. Was was the exact part number from McMaster that you ordered?
    The number for the 316 Stainless is 90778A178.
    Last edited by 357mag1; 07-18-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks. I will go ahead and order a few. The point is not as steep/narrow as in the original Mag screw, but the original screw is meant to pierce through the anodizing. If we are replacing those Torx screws with these, the hole through the anodizing is already there, so I would hope these will make as good an electrical connection.

Flashaholic*

I agree the point is sharper and steeper on the Mag Torx but it is tiny and is probably the only part that breaks through the anodizing. The longer point on the McMaster part must drive in deeper and I would think provide a better electrical connection.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I took another Mag apart with the Torx and swapped in the McMaster part. It definitely left a deeper and wider hole than the stock screw.

I have six of these in various Mags with no electrical connection problems at this time. Most are running 1185 or lesser bulbs but one has a 50w MR16 driven with 5 26500 IMR cells and reads 6 amps at the tailcap. That equates to roughly 111 watts (assuming the bulb has 18.5 volts dropped acrossed it). Other than drain batteries too quickly and get too hot it works fine.

No go on the Eklind 7 key Torx set #22572.

I picked one up Saturday and the T8 has a hexagonal shaft and doesn't fit.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I took another Mag apart with the Torx and swapped in the McMaster part. It definitely left a deeper and wider hole than the stock screw.

I have six of these in various Mags with no electrical connection problems at this time. Most are running 1185 or lesser bulbs but one has a 50w MR16 driven with 5 26500 IMR cells and reads 6 amps at the tailcap. That equates to roughly 111 watts (assuming the bulb has 18.5 volts dropped acrossed it). Other than drain batteries too quickly and get too hot it works fine.
    Thanks so much for verifying that. I placed my order from McMaster so hopefully by end of this week I will get them. What I plan to do is to simply swap them for free on all of my future custom 1xD's - therefore my customers will never be bothered with a "weird" or hard to get tool for the Torx screws. Problem solved

Flashaholic*

Thanks so much for verifying that. I placed my order from McMaster so hopefully by end of this week I will get them. What I plan to do is to simply swap them for free on all of my future custom 1xD's - therefore my customers will never be bothered with a "weird" or hard to get tool for the Torx screws. Problem solved
    Glad it was helpful. I'm sure your customers will appreciate that touch. Now if Mag will just let us buy the switches we can still repair our own lights.

The number for the 316 Stainless is 90778A178.
    Yeah, I have used that same setscrew design in previous mag switches. I do two other simple things which you guys might consider.

After removal of stock switch, I look inside the switch hole where you can see the contact point previously made by the set screw. I deepen that contact point with a gentle tap of a pointed punch and/or touch lightly with a small drill bit...making sure I'm not going deep enough to cause a protruding dent outside.

Then I screw set screw into holding nut with switch still outside of light, until tip is protruding. I give the tip a superficial dremel sanding just to blunt the sharp setscrew point a tiny bit, and thereby get better electrical contact. If you don't have a dremel, just slide protruding setscrew tip back and forth a few times on a sheet of medium grit sandpaper.

As you insert and secure your switch, you can feel the set screw finding the slight depression in the wall you made with slight movement of switch body while "walking in" the set screw before firmly tightening. These two steps take no more than 30 seconds.

Awesome! Thanks much for sharing that tip

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    After removal of stock switch, I look inside the switch hole where you can see the contact point previously made by the set screw. I deepen that contact point with a gentle tap of a pointed punch and/or touch lightly with a small drill bit...making sure I'm not going deep enough to cause a protruding dent outside.
    Great idea Lux. The small drill bit option is like what Mag used to do to the older lights before they had a D in the serial number.