Universal handlebar light mount?

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Are there universal handlebar light mounts available for mountain bikes?

Tonight I taped my Lumapower Mini-VX Ultra onto my bar clamp and it was the best bike headlight I have ever used! Super lightweight, very bright, and no need for a giant battery pack.

Surely someone out there has to have caught onto this idea?

I was thinking that a plastic universal clamp for a flashlight this size would be a dream come true for bikers.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
I bought one at DX in the past but quality wasn't great on that one so recently i bought one of the Fenix bike mounts.... I haven't been able to put it to good use yet, but i really like the design of the thing and it feels way more sturdy than my old one!

Take a look at the bikers corner at 4sevens.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
2fish and similar have one major disadavantage:
they can not be tiled sideways
(and thus are useless imho. At least with all my bikes, where there is pretty no place on the bars where they are in a totally right angle to the direction to go)

this one from DX is the best there, atm:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21314
no cheap, no brittle plastic.
But of course not perfect. Use a rubber band over front part of light, under bars and over end part ob body again, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there universal handlebar light mounts available for mountain bikes?

Tonight I taped my Lumapower Mini-VX Ultra onto my bar clamp and it was the best bike headlight I have ever used! Super lightweight, very bright, and no need for a giant battery pack.

Surely someone out there has to have caught onto this idea?

I was thinking that a plastic universal clamp for a flashlight this size would be a dream come true for bikers.

i have been using my vx ultra too as a bike light. nice and bright and simple and broad beam.

what i do is put on a felt sticker(just so i dont scratch the handlebar. then i use one of those thick rubber band type bracelet ex-livestrong bracelet.

put flashlight on top velcro area then rubber band bracelet on front of light then down and around handlebar then back up and around the tail.

holding perfectly. simple. cheap. can adjust to different angles. totally removable. nothing to rust. band never broke on me.
i also use this for a 2aa type flashlight setup for years.

Barry_Scott

Newly Enlightened
i would suggest the cateye replacement mount. i have used them on my projects, they are totally plastic so there is no fixing to rust. they are felexable so they can hold on to the tapered section of oversized bars and the are cheep £6.

Now there are tow ways to use they, one machine up a foot that sides in as per the original design, or drill a pair of holes and cabletye.

http://revdesign.co.uk/TwinLight1.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_H34_Flex_Tight_Light_Bracket/5360026731/

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilted sideways?
hmm, possibly, again, my lack of language ... :rolleyes:

when the light holder offers "just" one position to hold the light, and this one is a bit off to left/right,
then a good holder should give the opportunity to move the light to give its beam in the correct direction.

How to adress for that "function"?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the Twofish cannot be adjusted left/right but since 99.9% of bicycles have a straight section of handlebar and 99.9% of people want to see in front of them a 90 degree light positioning is ideal.

The Twofish is highly adjustable 'vertically' and can fit a wide variety of flashlight and bike tube sizes.

Why do you need to point it left/right...don't you want to see the road ahead??

drmaxx

Enlightened
Seriously no really good adjustable bike mounts around? the two fish cannot be adjusted.

You might want to read all the posts:
[...] so recently i bought one of the Fenix bike mounts.... I haven't been able to put it to good use yet, but i really like the design of the thing and it feels way more sturdy than my old one!
Take a look at the bikers corner at 4sevens.

Adjusting is seriously overrated.:devil: Simplicity is king!

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
No the Twofish cannot be adjusted left/right but since 99.9% of bicycles have a straight section of handlebar and 99.9% of people want to see in front of them a 90 degree light positioning is ideal.

The Twofish is highly adjustable 'vertically' and can fit a wide variety of flashlight and bike tube sizes.

Why do you need to point it left/right...don't you want to see the road ahead??

Adjusting is seriously overrated.:devil: Simplicity is king!

Most riser bars I have encountered, including my own and the bars on all three bikes of my flatmates, do not have a usable straight section that is perpendicular to the direction of travel. There is definitely a need for mounts that adjust on two axes, up/down and left/right for people "who want to see in front of them," but have a common bar style for which the Twofish style mounts are inadequate.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most riser bars I have encountered, including my own and the bars on all three bikes of my flatmates, do not have a usable straight section that is perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Not even right next to the stem?

JCD

Enlightened
The bar is WAY too fat there.
How so?

Right next to the stem, the diameter of my bar is greater than the diameter of the bezels of my 6P lights. Plus, that's not an ideal location for mounting lights on my bike, since the brake cables would pass right in front of the lights if they are mounted under the bar, as I want them mounted.

To be fair, I have other issues with the design of the Twofish lockblocks that preclude their use as a permanent mounting solution. I put 100-200 (depending on weather) nocturnal miles on my rigid fork bike per week; I'm not inclined to rely on velcro straps to support and hold my lights in place.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TWOFISH Cycloblocks lave longer, heavier duty straps which might be plenty long enough to work. One could also try mounting the lockblock or Cycloblocks on the stem itself.

I cannot really address a bias unfounded in fact or personal experience...velco is very strong and reliable but, like ALL things that are used regularly, a little preventative maintenace likely goes a long way. Even if it were a screw/threaded solution you'd still need to tighten the screws on occasion.