Flikka in my Tikka

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Hi...

This is my very first CPF post. I wouldn't say I'm a flashlight nut (but I am a knife nut) and this is all pretty interesting...

Anyway, I have a couple of Petzl Tikka (similar to Zipka) and they flicker. I returned one and its replacement also flickers. Some lights are worse than others. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance...

--Matt

Saaby

Flashaholic
Maybe it has something to do with the springs in the battery compartment. Are your springs sprung?

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I don't think so. The batteries are really snug in all of them. This flicker is pretty slight, but present enought to be annoying, especially when you're reading.

Has anyone else seen this?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It's probably originating in the switch.
If I remember right, the Tikka has a mechanical slide switch on its top. That's where I would expect the flickering to originate from.

Luminati

Newly Enlightened
Mundele,
Flickering in the Tikka / Zipka is generally caused by one of two issues:
1) The battery compartment was not closed properly. Check the bottom of the case to ensure the three little tabs are tucked into the bottom of the light. Occaisionally the compartment is not closed all the way at the bottom of the light which will allow the batteries to pop out from their contacts

2) The more likely culprit would be the switch. It is a mechanical slider that presses a metal tab to one lead of a resisitor. The slider rides in a track that is vulnerable to dirt/dust built up. This dust can prevent the slider from pressing the switch arm evenly against the resistor and keeping the switch from making a good connection. This is easy to clean.
Step 1 Slide the switch back and forth about 20
times thus helping to loosen any build up
in the track. Turn the light back on and
check for any further flickering.

Step 2 Remove the batteries and rinse the light
with fresh water. Shake excess water out
of the light and allow to dry thoroughly
before replacing the batteries. Once dry
re-install the batteries and test the
light.

If neither of these fix your problem please return it to Petzl for a replacement.

Good Luck,
JRoc

P.S. I work for Petzl, thus the in-depth answer. FYI

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I'll try that. I did speak to Petzl once about it and was told to slide the switch back and forth. I will open it up and rinse it out.

Thanks...

--Matt

haertig

Newly Enlightened
My Tikka has flickered since day one. The problem appears to be the way the batteries fit into the case. They are very prone to popping out of position just slightly. I found that the two halves of the case are connected with a little rubber or plastic strap. This strap is tight and I think it's the cause, at least in part, of the battery popup problem. I disconnected one end of my plastic strap. This seems to have helped quite a bit. But the batteries still can pop up sometimes, especially after a little jarring. Maybe I have a combination of the popup problem and the switch problem. I'll try cleaning my switch as others have recommended and see if I can finally make this cool little light non-flickering. One other thing I've considered but haven't tried yet. Putting a folded up piece of paper in there with the batteries to add additional pressure to keep them in place. I like the fit and form of the Tikka more than my Aurora, but use the Aurora more because it doesn't flicker.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I have had three and all flickered to some degree or another. (I have one for me and one for my wife now, the first one I had I traded because it was so bad). I love the light. I wonder if the Tikka plus still has this problem...

--Matt