ITP H01 AAA Headlamp

strinq

Enlightened
Strange that no one has created a thread on this.

Opinions?

I'm liking it.
Super lightweight and should be pretty tough as well.
But like everyone said, wish they made one using AA's.
But still, great to know that they're entering the headlamp market using the same platform as their highly successful 'keychain' lights.

paulr

Flashaholic
Well I thought it wasn't available yet, so cool that you got one.

AA version seems less important. There are several nice 1AA headlamps out there already (ZL, Fenix, ROV, etc.) The only other 1aaa headlamp I know of is the defunct CMG Tracer which was a couple of 5mm leds, not comparable to this H01. ZL talked about making a 1aaa headlamp but never went through with it.

My main thought based on the pic on the dealer sites is that I think they should have used a narrower headband to make the combo smaller and lighter. I wonder what you think of that.

strinq

Enlightened
No no, i don't have it yet haha.
I'm just saying that i like the offering so far.
I think the headband is at the right size because if its a little less wider it might be uncomfortable (less area to take the pressure).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think they should have used a narrower headband to make the combo smaller and lighter. I wonder what you think of that.

I like the idea of a wider headband over something smaller. Looks like an iTP A3 made into a headlamp. Could be a good backup if using a PT EOS or other AAA system for the trail. I take my iTP A3 flashlight with a Jakstrap as a backup and would enjoy something like the H01 more. Guessing it would have the same PWM as the A3 which is a downer.

Randall

Newly Enlightened
Strange that no one has created a thread on this.

Opinions?

I'm liking it.
Super lightweight and should be pretty tough as well.
But like everyone said, wish they made one using AA's.
But still, great to know that they're entering the headlamp market using the same platform as their highly successful 'keychain' lights.

Headlamp with AAA batteries smaller and lightweight, if replaced by AA, increase the weight.:whistle:

ZebraLight

Enlightened
Well I thought it wasn't available yet, so cool that you got one.

AA version seems less important. There are several nice 1AA headlamps out there already (ZL, Fenix, ROV, etc.) The only other 1aaa headlamp I know of is the defunct CMG Tracer which was a couple of 5mm leds, not comparable to this H01. ZL talked about making a 1aaa headlamp but never went through with it.

My main thought based on the pic on the dealer sites is that I think they should have used a narrower headband to make the combo smaller and lighter. I wonder what you think of that.

We gave up on a 1AAA headlamp because it won't save us much overall weight compare to an AA one. Take for example the H501 with 1AA, at 63 grams total, it's only 1-2 gram over this H01.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
We gave up on a 1AAA headlamp because it won't save us much overall weight compare to an AA one. Take for example the H501 with 1AA, at 63 grams total, it's only 1-2 gram over this H01.
Those of us interested in AAA would buy it for the size. Don't underestimate the need for this form-factor in the market or someone else will eventually make it and you'll lose out on the sales that could have been yours.

MountainVoyageur

Newly Enlightened

When comparing weight, remember that a lot of people carry a spare battery. For at least those people, weight needs to include the spare battery. A spare AAA weighs less than a spare AA.

--MV

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I could see the little ITP being pretty useful & have tried the A3 out in a headband. It's very good & produces a good amount of light on low. With a 10440 battery in it a crazy amount of light can be had for short periods also. Like to see a red filter for the headlight offered.

The band looks comfortable.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think 1 AA has the power of 2.5 AAAs but less weight. If going UL I would rather take that unless my primary light used AAA.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I doubt that 1% of AAA light purchasers choose them based on weight, but rather for the form factor.

The L0D/LD01, LF2/LF2X/LF2XT, Extreme III, Preon & the venerable Arc-AAA all stand as testament written in dollars to their popularity.

hazna

Enlightened
I doubt that 1% of AAA light purchasers choose them based on weight, but rather for the form factor.

The L0D/LD01, LF2/LF2X/LF2XT, Extreme III, Preon & the venerable Arc-AAA all stand as testament written in dollars to their popularity.

The size and form factor of a AAA do make a difference for pocket/keychain use. I've never used a single AAA headlight, so I can't know for sure... but I feel AA vs AAA would not make a lot of difference to me as a headlamp. I'd prefer the one that offers better capacity

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
An AAA headlamp in the Zebralight style might make sense, and I even asked them to make one a long time ago. Now I don't care for at one at all, especially the T design offered by that other company.

AAA flashlights are popular because most people EDC flashlights on their person, thus the AAA size fits the need for discreet/formal carry. Also flashlights don't get used as much as headlamps. Most flashlights uses are quick on/off operations whereas headlamps are turned on for hours to do work. So the lack of runtime in AAA lights are not as critical for flashlights as it would be for headlamps.

If you are gonna carry your headlamps in the bag, which is the way most people do, the difference in size between AA and AAA is not that huge in the bag. But the runtime advantage of AA batteries is huge. How many people carry headlamps on their person? I am the only one that I know of. And the Zebralight H501 is the only one small enough to let me do that. It's also the only one versatile enough for me to want to carry me it with me at all times.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would buy it in aaa if it comes in some neutral/warm variety
or if it was an aa in whatever tint if kept at this price point.

for me. i cant understand aaa light too much. i think weight is most important factor in the battery options for ppl. so i think an aa is still light enough. my 3aaa feels like nothing to me. i cant imagine aaa. if i wanted ultra light i would go coincell which can be very flat.

anyway, i hope they make money on these because i really like that we have more options as flasholics. plus reward companies that take risks in innovating.

paulr

Flashaholic
One reason to prefer an AAA headlamp is if you want to choose all your electronics to use the same battery type. H01 1aaa headlamp, Garmin Geko 2aaa GPS, Sansa M200 1aaa music player, etc. You get smaller and lighter stuff that way. The higher energy density of AA's is only relevant if you're using a lot of them. For a typical camping trip, a 1AAA light with one backup battery is plenty. LED's work well at very low power levels these days. It's uncommon to have to use the higher powered modes very much.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Paulr here. The name of the game is runtime and efficiency. That should be the end all be all of everything. Period!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree that I would also prefer an AA version. AA size cells store much more energy for the weight, and with modern technology it is easy to get an AA headlamp thats as small as you would want, the Zebralight H501 being a prime example.

I still like the idea, although the sticking out T shape doesn't seem ideal for pocket carry.. I do like iTP though, so I will definately be keeping my eye out for reviews on this one. :popcorn: