Headphone recommendations?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I listen to my headphones on the PC quite a bit, from watching DVD's, divx movies as well as listening to mp3s and the like. Thus far I have used a pair of probably midline for them Radio Shack Pro35 in what I believe to be "open" (over the ear but not enclosed) design. Now that the foam is finally worn off, I yearn for something better in the sound quality in the same type of design. I don't like the ones that cup your ears and I'll save the in the ear ones for my walkman. I would be willing to spend a hundred dollars or a little bit more if it was worth it for a decent set. Being naive in the field I have really only ever heard of Sennheiser in the quality headphone manufacturers and would appreciate recommendations.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
The best headphone at the cheapest price? Why easy!

The Grado SR-60. Go read some reviews on it. You'll be surprised at what you find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AudioReview.com on SR-60

It has the greatest number of reviews out of any headphone (Sennhieser at #2), and can be found for around $60.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of these and really like them. The sound quality is great, they are comfortable, reasonably priced, and are pretty durable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upon since doing further research, have indeed read alot about Grado's and the SR-60's and SR-80's providing the best bang for the buck. I wonder if there are any local audiofile stores in the north of Boston area that carry them? I went to Tweeter's website and they're not listed.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
geepondy: The cheapest place to get them would definitely be online, or more specifically, Ebay. But if not there, shop around on different websites and comparison pages. Web is usually always cheaper than retail.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a decent soundcard? I'd hesitate at spending $100 on headphones, only to use them with an onboard soundchip.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do have a good soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy) although the headphone jack is actually thru my Altec Lansing speaker control pod. I might use the headphones in other applications as well. Right now from what I have researched tonight, I really want to listen to the Grado headphones and hope I can find a local audiophile store that carries them.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Once you get one, you most likely won't return it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but just find a online dealer / Ebay user that has a refund policy just in case you do decide to return them. Then there's not much risk.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to second the Grados....They're really great. These are some of my favorite cans:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/index.htm

The best in ear cans at any price: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
http://www.etymotic.com/ ....They cost a lot, but once you hear 'em...you will understand!

As for dirt cheap earbuds. I have found the Sennheiser MX400's to be pretty good....And at $5 dollars a pair, you can afford to loose them.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out http://www.head-fi.org/ for more than you ever wanted to know about headphones. I've been a member there for a few years, but haven't been as active lately. At one time a few years ago I had several thousand dollars "invested" in headphones, headphone amps, and associated equipment. I've cut way back in the last year or two due to my problem with tinnitis and some permanent hearing damage I've suffered (not due to listening to headphones though).

All of that being said, you can't hardly go wrong with the Grado SR-60's. I had a pair for quite awhile, and really liked them. Their biggest downside is that anyone close by can hear what you are listening to because they leak sound badly. I mean really badly, worse than any of the couple dozen pairs of headphones I've had. My wife used to actually lay them on her desk and use them for computer speakers instead of wearing them. In other words, in an office environment or public place, they might not be a good idea, but if sound leakage isn't a concern or problem for you, definitely give them a shot. You can always sell them for within about $10 of what you paid for them online.

www.amusicdirect.com is where I bought my SR-60's, they have one of the lowest prices around, and they are also a very reputable dealer.

The Sennheiser HD 580's are my favorite all-time headphone, definitely a step up from the Grado SR-60's, but they will set you back $150-200, and require a little more power than the Grados.

-Keith

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
As for dirt cheap earbuds. I have found the Sennheiser MX400's to be pretty good....And at $5 dollars a pair, you can afford to lose them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where would they have those for $5? I was looking into getting those, but they were about $13 at the places I found- Is that the price for new ones?

BTW They've got the SR60s for $62.10 at HCM Audio, with free shipping now-

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to be a party poop, but I found the entry level Grado's shut in, totally untransparent and lifeless. I have some Sennheiser 600's and they are listenable. Best thing to do is take along some CD's you are really familiar with and spend an afternoon doing listening tests on your own. Play some tracks with a large variety of frequencies, listen to see how open, transparent, defined and smooth they are, just pick what sounds rignt to you.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to chime in and say that the Koss Porta Pro Jr. are REALLY REALLY good for the money. They aren't the most attractive headphones, but you said you use headphones at the PC.

Koss has a REALLY good CS department and lifetime warrenty. The Porta Pro Jr are heavy on bass, but not too overpowering and not at all muddy. The highs and mids are bright and clear, not fluid and smooth, but really good for a budget minded audiophile like myself. I haven't tried the Grado SR-60, but when i have some extra cash for another hobby, maybe i'll pick one up just for fun. I've heard NOTHING but praise for the SR-60. Get it, if you don't like em, post them on the CPF...i'm sure someone would buy them.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I poked around in the 4.head-fi forum for a bit, and was surprised to see the Sony MDR-V6 headphones are still current and elevated to classic status- They're still being sold today, and seem to be unchanged from mine. I got mine way back, seems almost like 15 years ago. The closed design and sound isolation is a necessity for me, as I use it in a high noise environment-
Any information on Beyer earpieces, which is apparently a favorite mod on these? The original ones are still like new, which is a bit surprising, since these kinds of things usually deteriorate in time. Problem is that they don't breathe, so it would be nice to get something that does, without sacrificing the sound isolation.
MDR-V6

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Winger, funny you should mention the sony MDR-V6 and the Beyers..those are the two headphones I own. The Sony's are effortless to wear and have a very soft around the ear seal. Aslo the 'phones ingeniously colapse into a compact package for transport. They are more sensitive than most, and can play loudly. Very good sound.
.. I dug them out of drawer, haven't used them in years..dusty but the earpads are in good shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The early Beyer headphones had terrible earpads! -- skinny shallow stiff vinyl covered foam things -- :shiver: ech! -- I covered them with a pair of fluid-filled around-the-ear pads I took off a pair of Sharp headphones..really good seal, but, sweaty.. :p

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the V6 really comfortable too, just surprised that it's been around so long, and stilll kickin' -
I like they way they fold up and can reverse for easy one-ear monitoring also; nice setup. Only thing I might like is cloth earpads, for long term wearing comfort in hot locaitons..
I'm going to compare them with the SR60's to see what a "current" headphone is like-

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
Let's just say I have "a lot" invested in headphones and related equipment, and the Sony V6 (closed)or the Koss Porta Pros(open) are the best inexpensive phones I've tried for use with a soundcard. Don't confuse the V6 with the V600, the V600s are terrible, really terrible. Porta Pros are very comfortable and work well with portable sources too. Bass can be a bit much sometimes but at lower volumes it's sometimes welcome.

Most sound cards really aren't very high quality sources, including the Audigy (by audiophile standards - maybe doesn't apply here), and you're listening to MP3s so I wouldn't go too crazy and buy Senn 600s or more expensive phones. Save your money for more flashlights!

head-fi is a great place to learn about headphones. I used to participate there regularly and I've even been to a few headphone 'meets', which is just as crazy as people getting together to compare beamshots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like Grados too and use the SR80s with an iPod at work. As mentioned above I have 'a lot' to choose from and these have worked the best for me so far. Just be careful if you go Grado and your computer fans are real noisy not to turn up the volume. They really do leak a lot of sound along with encouraging you to turn them up a little louder than maybe you should. Tinnitus sucks so just be careful.