Another Legend Gone

Empath

Flashaholic
What do Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Conway Twitty, Roy Orbison, Johnney Cash and Carl Perkins all have in common, besides being Legends themselves and vital to the development of rock and roll? They all started on the Sun Record label and were discovered by Sam Phillips.

Legendary Sam Phillips Is Dead

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Rest in peace Sam and thank you for bringing so many artist to our collective attention. Long live Rock & Roll.

Dan

P.S. Is it just me, or are there a lot of the famous passing this summer.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, Charlie Rich and Howlin' Wolf were in the "Sun stable" for awhile, too.

R.I.P. Sam Phillips.

Empath

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif How did I forget Charlie Rich, or even Bill Justis? Actually there were many more that may not have made it as big as the others, but they certainly had the potential. The Sun Records story is the essential story of rock 'n' roll. A small recording studio acted as a magnet to all the new artists that totally abolished the reign of tin pan alley, and put new life into a dying industry, all through the genius of Sam Phillips. They were so small they couldn't even print up enough copies of their big selling hits to keep up with demand. Can you imagine a small production trying to keep up with Elvis' sales. Even RCA had to build a new plant just to press Elvis' offerings.

The Sun Records Story

Empath

Flashaholic
I just heard that the Sun Recording Studios in Memphis has just been designated a national historic building. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif