Princeton Tec PT 20

paulr

Flashaholic
In the tradition of Lester Bangs (?) reviewing records that he hadn't actually listened to, here's a review of a flashlight I haven't actually used.

See my PT Surge review nearby for a rehash of how I got this light. Although I haven't used it, the PT20 is sitting here in front of me in its unopened hang pack. It looks like a pretty nice light. It uses 2AA's at 2 watts which should give it comparable brightness to a UKE 2L or a 3D Maglite with the stock bulb. Weight as stated on the package is 3.2 oz with batteries, which I think is 1.5 oz or so less than a 2AA Minimag. The PT20 should be much brighter than a Minimag though. Claimed runtime is 2-2.5 hours and it includes a wrist lanyard.

I haven't opened it because as others have remarked, its size is a little awkward. It's too big for comfortable EDC (mostly because of its 2"-or-so wide bezel) but not as bright or long-running as bigger lights. I thought I might toss it in my glovebox to replace a generic 2D light that's in there, freeing up some space in the full-of-junk glovebox. It turns out that the Surge that I got at the same time as the PT20 is also smaller than a generic 2D, and it's so bright that I think I'll throw the Surge in the glovebox instead. That means I don't have an immediate use for the PT20. So I might give it to someone, or throw it on BST, hence my leaving it unopened.

Interestingly, it says on the package that the reflector is "narrow focused beam" while the other PT lights I've had say "wide spot". This one lists a "wide beam" as an optional accessory, which I'm guessing means a replacement reflector. I'd have thought the narrow reflector would be polished and the wide one textured. But I can see that this light has a textured reflector similar to the Blast and Surge. So it's possible that this package is mis-labelled.

The PT20 is basically a larger, more powerful version of the Blast. Unfortunately it lacks the Blast's pocket clip which is nice for attaching the Blast to a hat brim. I think it would make a nice hiking or travel light if you want a bright light and you have other AA-using gadgets and you want to keep battery commonality, or you don't mind carrying a little more weight to avoid the higher cost of a UKE 2L. I think I prefer the more compact 2L for easy packing and the even more compact PT Blast for use of standard alkaline batteries and very light weight (the Blast is even ok as a keychain light).

chumley

Enlightened
paulr, I picked up Tec 20 a couple of months ago to use a matrix led module in. I actually like the size because it fits inside of my closed hand quite nicely. It will fit inside of a jacket pocket ok, but I haven't used it that much this summer because it won't fit in shorts pocket. The matrix module isn't any brighter than Arc AAA, or CMG Ultra, but it has longer runtime. The halogen bulb was fairly bright with lithiums, but it won't work anymore, with only a few minutes on the bulb, might be defective. Anyway, I liked the size, maybe because when I first used it, I was using gloves, and it might have been easier to hold.

Mike

paulr

Flashaholic
Chumley, lithiums have higher voltage than alkalines and may have blown the bulb. If anything, use rechargeables.

I'm not familiar with the Matrix led module. I think the Blast is about the ideal size for pocket carry. I've heard of people putting the Opalec Newbeam in it. I personally wouldn't do that because the Newbeam is so expensive. It makes more sense to get a UKE 2AAA eLED if you want a 2aaa led light. The UKE has a narrow focused beam (optic in front of the LED) but maybe there's a way to flatten and re-polish the lens if you want a wider beam.

chumley

Enlightened
paulr, you might be right about burning out the bulb with lithiums. The batteries were brand new, and the light seemed as bright as my Tec 40. The led module I use is from a PT Matrix headlamp.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried putting 4 1/2 AA NiMH batteries in a Tec 20 with a M@g 3 cell bulb? It should be about as bright as my Tec 40, but the runtime would be a lot less.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think of 1/2 AA batteries as kind of exotic, and they have way less than half the capacity of a full sized AA. If I wanted a 4 cell NiMH light smaller than a Tec 40, I'd just get a PT Rage and put NiMH AAA's in it. The Rage is longer than the Tec 20, but is slimmer and much more pocketable, and weighs about the same with batteries. I guess the PT20's main attraction over the Rage would be its polished reflector version would have more throw, if you want that. But mine has the textured reflector.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 @ 750 mAh 3.7 V AA Li-Ions on order in a current group buy. I will try a KPR112 (6.0 V 0.65A) with two of the Li-Ions in the PT20. At the lower design voltage, the bulb puts out 68 Lumen. This combination should be brighter.

Unfortunately, I can't find a halogen or Xenon bulb rated at around 7.0 V and 0.7 A which is what I'd like to use in this light.

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, Lemlux! That should be interesting. Looking forward to hearing the results. How much did the cells cost?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:So I might give it to someone, or throw it on BST, hence my leaving it unopened.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif